Building on land rented from the government

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Mr. Chang

Building on land rented from the government

Post by Mr. Chang »

I would like to know if anyone has ever built on land that is rented from the government(30 year lease). Are there any legal pitfalls in doing this?

I know many Thai people live on land like this, but is the law much different than building on land that you have a title deed for? Is it still possible for your Thai wife to sub- lease the land back to you?

Any info greatly appreciated.
kensington

Get a good lawyer to check it out

Post by kensington »

Hi :D

My suggestion would be to get a good Thai lawyer to check it out for you. It so much better to be safe than sorry. If you don't know anyone, then I am happy to recommend one I have used many times before. Just send me an e-mail. No problem Mr Chang.
the limey

Post by the limey »

would the lawyer sue you Kensington if you posted his email addy or phone number? more kickbacks i reckon.
Mr. Chang

Post by Mr. Chang »

I've been to the land registry office to ask about this and there don;t seem to be many drawbacks. The only problems that you may have are that it's difficult to sell the house again, as you don't have ownership of the land. Also, if the government decides they want your land for one of it's mega projects they can give you some money for your house and tell you to bugger off. This is very unlikely to happen in my case due to the location of the land.
You will pay a minimal annual rent on the land(In my case it would be less than 1000 Baht per year). with an increase of 15% every 6 years.

The reason for wanting to do this is to get a house in a good location and land at a cheaper price. You have to cut a deal with the current leaseholder to change the name on the contract. I've found that this will be quite a bit cheaper than buying chanote land in a similar location. Thre's not much chanote land available in the town centre and they want silly money for it.
Foreigners can rent the land in their own name. No Thai needs to be involved.

I have to find out some more details before commiting, but it sounds reasonable to me, as I will probably not be selling the house again.
robint

Post by robint »

Hi mr chang (is that a workman or an elephant)

why dont you build a removeable house

http://www.completehome.com.au/build_yo ... pid=134023

when you have to move, take it apart and put it in a sip lor :D