Land purchase through Thai spouse forbidden: Land Dept

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

orionsbelt

Post by orionsbelt »

Sorry if this causes alarm!

As my wife is in the process of purchasing our land this comment as scared me its from the Bangkok post Forum.

Land purchase through Thai spouse forbidden: Land Dept -----Director general of land Dept 27/May/09

http://www.bangkokpost.com/forum/viewto ... 120#p39962

The director general of the Land Department has reiterated that foreigners using Thai nominees to buy land anywhere in the country will have their land title deeds revoked if caught – even if the nominee in question is a lawfully wedded spouse.

Anybody any idea why this comment?, I looked up the law in Sunbelt property and Siam legal and this comment seems to be incorrect. Also we check with the land office and they say provided i sign a document that any money have have given hers is for her alone, then its ok. However why his comment??????

Thanks ***
tung

Re: Land purchase through Thai spouse forbidden: Land Dept

Post by tung »

Talking about setting up a company to buy land and implications even if your thai wife is a share holder
thaifly

Post by thaifly »

gidday orionsbelt....its the thai fly from mae rim..to dispel your fears..suggest that you engage a good lawyer..who will put you on the right path..that will suit your personal requirements...no big deal matey...the head aches will come later..its a KAKA CHELSEA GIDDAY TO MAE JO..its the thai fly from mae rim
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

My prediction is this was some Thai official blowing smoke. Nothing will come of it as far as the vast number of Thai's married to farangs. There is some off chance that it may be used to put the screws to some large developers in Phuket, only time will tell.
orionsbelt

Post by orionsbelt »

Hi Chaps

Thanks
My Wife and our Lawyer went to the land Office on Thursday, and after some intense questions from them both, the land office say's 'No Problem' as long as I sign the 'Sin SuanTua', and she uses her married name.

However when you read the Forum in the Bangkok Post and Nation, they seem to be making a real issue of it.
(maybe they have too much spare time ).......

Im coming out in 4 weeks time from UK so hopefully we can wrap it up by then.

Have to say its all very anoying as Questions I requested to be asked to the Bank (land seller) 02 weeks ago,
and which I thought we had agreed answers arnt so, and now we have another 5/10 day delay for answers.

Thai style - Im stressed out already and we have not even started yet........

By the way for June 5th in UK its rained all day and temp is 14deg C .....

Cheers
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

(maybe they have too much spare time ).......
Yes, I think they like stirring things up. If you remember a couple of years ago they were coming after nominee company ownership and were going to start investigating each and every company with a foreign director, land could no longer be bought in a company name, etc. etc. etc. That sent everyone into a real panic. What became of it: nothing really, back today pretty much business as normal.

This is Thailand, if you try to follow all the rules all of the time you will find it is simply impossible since the rules are not really firm.....
thaifly

Post by thaifly »

dozer wrote:
This is Thailand, if you try to follow all the rules all of the time you will find it is simply impossible since the rules are not really firm.....
its a gidday to DOZER..and all...its the thai fly from mae rim...the thai fly learnt from the school of arts ..in the very early eighties.the above quote..and even feel it is harder to follow nearly thirty years later...as for the blow torching. on the above topic..and company act ..a couple years...it must be remembered that they love our FOLDING STUFF..to really put it into place..and more so in todays climate...the thai fly has heard on the grape vine that they are going to apply a land tax in the near future..same as rates in the western world????...its a SOCCER ROO WORLD CUP 2010 GIDDAY TO ALL ..ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
cruzing

Post by cruzing »

the thai fly has heard on the grape vine that they are going to apply a land tax in the near future..same as rates in the western world????...
They have been talking about a new property tax. (This is all according to our experience and what Mr. C heard on the news.) The way it is now there is a land tax. If your land sits idle (meaning no improvements, I think you could farm it.) then you pay taxes, doesn't matter the size. We pay less than 30-40 baht per year on a rai of idle land in San Khampaeng.

If you have land with improvements..ie: house....and less than five rai you don't pay any land taxes. If you have more than 5 rai even with improvements, you pay land tax.

The change will be if they start taxing everyone....and who knows what the end criteria will be for how they figure that one.

Cruzing
geordie

Post by geordie »

in the uk its getting progresively worse eight years ago i purchased a plot of land some 300 sq metres it came earmarked as a develpment plot with outline permision for a small bungalow at the rear of the plot is a huge field/ countryside this does not stop the local authority from insisting that i cut the grass regularly but the bombshell has came this year as i have started the planning process i am told that if i want to build i have to give the local council/goverment £10,000 as a contribution towards the local infrastructure?before i even apply i have to give them £850 non refundable so even if they say no to the planning aplication they still profit by it the balance has to be paid before i start to build ie before i even start the footings if i add a third bedroom it will cost me a further £5000 to them this in a country that has a housing shotage and to add insult to injury i have to make an effort to build it carbon neutral or they will refuse permission

thailand is still an atractive prospect you can build a house for less than the taxation you will pay in the uk

by the way one and a half hours on the phone and no one could explain what happens to the money?????I suspect the local goverment want to bring their expense claims in line with our MPs
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it