Building Regualtions On Hillsides

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

grant

Building Regualtions On Hillsides

Post by grant »

I will be building on a hillside. The Thailand Building Regulations state the maximum height cannot exceed 8m. Can anyone tell me how this is measured? It's easy to calculate on flat land but I cannot find clear guidelines for a hillside. I am building into and up the hillside so no part of the structure is ever more than 8m above the original ground level directly below (like a terraced house). But, if measured from the lowest part of the house at the bottom of the hillside, to the top of the roof at the top of the hillside the height is 13m.
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Trick question this, almost a catch 22! I would approach the most obvious source of information for clarification on this point: The Local and Office.
grant

Post by grant »

It's one of those situations where the authorities (OrBorTor in this case) uses his own interpretation to justify a large "payment" for issuing the building permit. The particular OrBorTor in this case has a history of unreasonable demands and is demanding over 1 million baht for issuing the building permit. This is of course ridiculous for a single, 3 bedroom villa of about 400 sq. meters.
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

It's not only unreasonable, it's plain ridiculous. Why don't you build somewhere else? You'd get your solar for the million baht you'll save :P
grant

Post by grant »

We'll see how the negotiating goes but building somewhere else is not out of the question.
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

In fact it's a total scam.
Are other people in the same area expected to pay that much too?
grant

Post by grant »

I received an email from a fellow who is about 75% finished his villa on the same hillside. He paid 500,000. Still outrageous and indeed a scam.