Sub District Official with sticky fingers

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

dozer
Site Admin

Sub District Official with sticky fingers

Post by dozer »

Submitted for Barry C.

I have a sub district official who is asking for 450,000 Baht before he will issue a building permit - what action if any can I take? Your 3% solution would be much more agreeable.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

Doesn't sound right to me. Have you already tried to negotiate? Are there other expats in the area that you know and how much did they pay. Often times when someone gets totally out of line you need to send the Ms. to make so waves, but not sure the best avenue of approach for this where you are.
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

Normally the way this works is this: If the official wants in then they negotiate to do the house plans for some fee - this guarantees that all approvals will be 'streamlined'. However, you are free to use any other architect. Other architects will guarantee that if the plans don't get approved -- you don't need to pay their fee. Since it isn't any longer 'streamlined' there are a few hoops to jump over, but your architect will handle that for you. In this case the only fees you would pay would be the actual government fees. The government official has certain latitude in 'not approving' and holding up plans, but once everything is correct, they have no choice but to get with the program.