Building above public water

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Nico

Building above public water

Post by Nico »

I'm planning to buy some land next to a river. 2 questions about that. What happens if the river (let say due to haevy rainfall) "eat" some pieces of the land. Is it possible for me to recollect it without problems and question 2 I'm planning to build an expansion (about 2 m) over the river. Note this is a public river. is that legal?
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

My wife and I own land along a river front, we enquired about building a jetty for a boat and were informed by our lawyer that we would need to get permission as our use of the land stops at the water's edge.

AN Other point, if errosion cuts off part of your land to form an island, that then becomes public property.

Also, be careful about the reason for building over the water. When we talked to our lawyer he told us that while building a boat jetty might get and 'easy' aproval, any kind of business reason - ie restaurant over the river, will undoubtedly raise local concerns, both at the land office and with any local Thais who you are in competition with.

In the end we decided not to buy a boat so the question went away.
Nico

Post by Nico »

Itchi thank you for your comments. Do you know also, if it's legal to protect the land with dam's (I'm Dutch you see :)
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

I think you need to check the extent of your land ownership.

My advice is be very careful with any use of land at your boudary and be extremely careful with the use of land that has not covered by a full Chonote.

I'll post a blog later on my current project, but let me just say that the boundary of your land is the point at which you can have problems. If in doubt leave the boudary alone.
cruzing

river's edge

Post by cruzing »

Itchy wrote:I think you need to check the extent of your land ownership.

My advice is be very careful with any use of land at your boudary and be extremely careful with the use of land that has not covered by a full Chonote.

I'll post a blog later on my current project, but let me just say that the boundary of your land is the point at which you can have problems. If in doubt leave the boudary alone.
When we were originally going to build in amphawa next to a canal we had planned on a wall at the edge of our property in the canal. Most people with houses along the canal's edge do this over there and most also have access to the water. Maybe it's possible to do something like that.

Cruzing
Nico

Post by Nico »

thank you also for your comment, but I supose that you asked for a permit in advance? or did you just follow the example the people around you? In my case that is not possible because (for the moment) I will be thonly owner on (my side) of the river. Is there some place you can deliver your building plans and give a set time (Holland 6 weeks) for put in complaints?