Thinned out Teak log for sale

Land or house for sale. Anything real estate related for sale goes here! DO NOT however advertise consulting or building services.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker, tcth16

Tallskipper

Thinned out Teak log for sale

Post by Tallskipper »

We are in the process of thinning out Teak trees on our plantation in Kanchanaburi. For those not familiar with the practice it consist of cutting down selected trees in order to allow the remaining ones to grow mostly in girth and some height.
The felled trees are 12 and 8 years old and not very wide but the trunks are 5 to 8 meters long. Such log size is suitable for door and window frames, supporting poles, furnitures, rafters and the like.
The trees have been registered with the forestry department (Pa Mai) so are completely legal. We have the licence to cut and transport anywhere in the country.
We are proposing the following prices:
Diameter 5 to 8" - Baht 5,250 per Cubic Meter (CBM)
Diameter 3 to 5" - Baht 3,500 per CBM
less than 3" -Baht 1,500 per CBM

Interested parties might like to note :
- The log volume is to be measured in the middle of the section, as to average the butt and top.
- We are in the process of cutting so the wood is, yes, green therefore not suitable for immediate use. 3 to 4 months of partly shaded sun would dry the wood nicely for use in Thailand wherever humidity is high.
- We unfortunately cannot deliver for that price but would be happy to help locating adequate trucking.
- The plantation is located 25 km west of Kanchanaburi town, anyone interested is welcome to check out the logs.
-Please feel free to enquire for more details.
Robin

Re: Thinned out Teak log for sale

Post by Robin »

Tallskipper wrote:We are in the process of thinning out Teak trees on our plantation in Kanchanaburi. For those not familiar with the practice it consist of cutting down selected trees in order to allow the remaining ones to grow mostly in girth and some height.
The felled trees are 12 and 8 years old and not very wide but the trunks are 5 to 8 meters long. Such log size is suitable for door and window frames, supporting poles, furnitures, rafters and the like.
The trees have been registered with the forestry department (Pa Mai) so are completely legal. We have the licence to cut and transport anywhere in the country.
We are proposing the following prices:
Diameter 5 to 8" - Baht 5,250 per Cubic Meter (CBM)
Diameter 3 to 5" - Baht 3,500 per CBM
less than 3" -Baht 1,500 per CBM

Interested parties might like to note :
- The log volume is to be measured in the middle of the section, as to average the butt and top.
- We are in the process of cutting so the wood is, yes, green therefore not suitable for immediate use. 3 to 4 months of partly shaded sun would dry the wood nicely for use in Thailand wherever humidity is high.
- We unfortunately cannot deliver for that price but would be happy to help locating adequate trucking.
- The plantation is located 25 km west of Kanchanaburi town, anyone interested is welcome to check out the logs.
-Please feel free to enquire for more details.
Do you have some photos?
I have a small teak farm also, would be nice to compare growth rates, mine are 6 years old, plant to crop in 3-4 years - but depends on size.
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

Robin,

I'm afraid I do not have any decent pictures but was planing to take a few shots that, I'll post when done. The weather forecast is pretty bad for the next few days so we'll have to see how it pans out.
The teak planting learning curve has been quite fascinating. We planted on a tight spacing model, triangular with 1.5 meters between trees, very tight indeed. That yielded tall trees with very little branches which was the goal. However 12 years is very much overdue for thinning. The soil is rich alluvial with full access to water. Under this circumstances, a first thinning at 5-6 years and a second one at 9-10 years seem to make more sense.
Having said that some of the 12 years old should be around 1 foot diameter in another 3 years, so it is not too bad.
prufrock

Post by prufrock »

Tallskipper wrote:Robin,

I'm afraid I do not have any decent pictures but was planing to take a few shots that, I'll post when done. The weather forecast is pretty bad for the next few days so we'll have to see how it pans out.
Wellll...Isn't that convenient, ...skipper me hardy. You were obviously planning on advertising here for some time prior to your ad; so suggest photos accompany such an overly-generalized description of your product. Suggest too that you charge for and provide delivery as unsuspecting buyers may well be unaware of the countless police blocks en route demanding copies of the papers and of course their fees which BTW are not insubstantial. Been there...done that. 'Caveat emptor' was never more an appropriate phrase than in the buying of teak wood, old or new, and including the rice barn teak timber often promoted on variouse farang-read sites.
LTD
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

prufrock wrote:

Wellll...Isn't that convenient, ...skipper me hardy. You were obviously planning on advertising here for some time prior to your ad; so suggest photos accompany such an overly-generalized description of your product. Suggest too that you charge for and provide delivery as unsuspecting buyers may well be unaware of the countless police blocks en route demanding copies of the papers and of course their fees which BTW are not insubstantial. Been there...done that. 'Caveat emptor' was never more an appropriate phrase than in the buying of teak wood, old or new, and including the rice barn teak timber often promoted on variouse farang-read sites.
I am not quite sure what sad experience in life made you so frustrated, perhaps it was the "been there...done that" whatever it was, it must have been painful.
Based on your comments you might not be aware that prospective timber buyers make a point of visiting the plantation before commiting. A trip to the local forestry department is also a good idea to verify that paper work is honky dory.
When it comes to police check point, this is part of life is LOS, for the ones not liking it there are another 220 countries in this world.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Prufrock,
I worked in a yachtbuilding factory in Chonburi, and the trees we bought got slugged crossing each province, I know it's bad, but TIT.
We are moving my wifes parents home to Chonburi from Korat later this year and hopefully by using family members we might not be taxed excessively.
Tallskipper,
I planted mine on 3 metre grid, they are about 6-8 metres tall, the better ones get the most water.
Picture with my daughter shows the better ones, and the other picture is more common size. Pics are a year old now
Attachments
WNat & Tk.jpg
WTeak.jpg
prufrock

Post by prufrock »

Tallskipper wrote:
prufrock wrote:

I am not quite sure what sad experie-nce in life made you so frustrated, perhaps it was the "been there...done that" whatever it was, it must have been painful.
Based on your comments you might not be aware that prospective timber buyers make a point of visiting the plantation before commiting. A trip to the local forestry department is also a good idea to verify that paper work is honky dory.
When it comes to police check point, this is part of life is LOS, for the ones not liking it there are another 220 countries in this world.
Actually reading your ad is the only sad experience I've ever had in Thailand, coupled with your attempt at 'shooting the messenger'. I know about the trials and tribulations of buying and transporting teak; been doing it for 15 years here.
There is also a 'commission' to be paid to the Forestry Police at source- your end, me matey - even after all the stamps are on each teak log, for the privilege of putting the shipment on a vehicle. You are deceiving potential customers into thinking this is a straight forward purchase when you fail to detail the police commissions at your end and en route: even Thais end up losing their vehicles and paying huge fines, even after the stamps.
As I said, calculate and reveal the price separately for your transporting the logs with your hired hands and trucks to the customer's site: the price balloons when you add on these 'fees'.
BTW, exactly where are the photos?
LTD
Robin

Post by Robin »

BTW, exactly where are the photos?
Your post is mainly directed to Tallskipper.
I assume this question is directed at me,
I have 12 rai in a village north of Korat. My brother in law has another 20 rai near Chaiyapum, his trees are about 9 years now.
We hope to do another 20 rai or so next year.
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

Robin,

Got some photos today, but cannot upload possibly due to my poor AIS wireless net connection. I'll try an Internet cafe once I get out of the bushes in the next few days.
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

Finally in an internet cafe with decent connection, we'll try one photo first and take it from then on.
Attachments
12 years old trees facing South, already thinned out.
12 years old trees facing South, already thinned out.
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

Robin,

ADSL is working better but more than 2 photos seems to be jamming something along the way, so one shot per post !!!!
Attachments
Close up of 12 years old trees, still facing south, already thinned out.
Close up of 12 years old trees, still facing south, already thinned out.
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

12 years old trees, Facing North, thinned out
Attachments
DSC00738.jpg
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

12 Yeras old trees close up, facing North, not thinned out yet.
Attachments
DSC00739.jpg
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

8 years old trees, Facing North, not thinned out yet.
Attachments
DSC00740.jpg
Tallskipper

Post by Tallskipper »

12 years old trees, facing East thinned out.
Attachments
DSC00741.jpg