Interlocking block driveway

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Interlocking block driveway

Postby Tanlic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:04 pm

paving-59923243.jpg
paving-59923243.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 253 times

Have to hold my hands up and say I have never used this type of block before.
I have a 400 sqm drive to do and need an idea of labour charges PSM if possible

The driveway is curved for the first 50 meter

Any advise on the best base to use would also be appreciated

Many thanks
Tanlic

Re: Interlocking block driveway

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Thai’s call them snake blocks they come in at least two grades The lower priced ones are not suitable for driveways.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Andyfteeze » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:42 am

The best base would be concrete. Less chance of future problems with shifting soil.

A cheaper alternative is 150mm road base packed down with a vibrating plate. I would also mix a few bags of cement with the road base before laying. 20mm of sand is then used as the bed. After laying the pavers, sweep dry sand into the crevices. You need to keep the water away. There will be movement as over a large area you always get differing levels of soil hardness and usage, ie, you dont drive over every paver.

An alternative is a concrete drive way with a stencil inprint. It can be coloured too.

What you are proposing was a fad in australia for a while but we moved away from it due to costs and movement in its base if not prepared properly. The other problem was weeds growing through the crevises.

It looks nice to start but will never stay that way.
Andyfteeze

Postby oldwelshman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:40 am

Not sure why they wont stay nice? Many of the roads in Netherlands done with block paving and when laid on compacted substrate and coarse sand top very easy to maintain and repair.
I laid some of these for mates in UK and no movement after 15 ears of heavy use, although discoloured a bit.
oldwelshman

Postby Klondyke » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:35 pm

I have also my driveway by such interlocking blocks as the first picture above. And I like it more than to have a hot concrete surface, it is some 40 m long, existing already on the lot when we bought the ruin 12 years ago.

However, I have to admit that the maintaining/sweeping is not so easy. Thinking (already for few years long) that a small channel on both sides - by removing 2 blocks, and creating a concrete trench - would make it much easier for disposal all the leaves and dirt coming out when sweeping with a sharp mai - kwaat.

Klondyke

Postby pipoz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 am

Tanlic wrote:
The attachment paving-59923243.jpg is no longer available

Have to hold my hands up and say I have never used this type of block before.
I have a 400 sqm drive to do and need an idea of labour charges PSM if possible

The driveway is curved for the first 50 meter

Any advise on the best base to use would also be appreciated

Many thanks

Hi if you ever come across a colored Pavers (interlocking or just square edge) then please let me know. Something like the attached pictures would be nice if you could ever find them in Thailand

By coloured, I don't mean just painted on top, as I have seen a few of these around Thailand (Not sure how long the color will last on the painted ones, before it fades).

pipoz
Attachments
Interlocking Pavers - 01.jpg
Interlocking Pavers - 01
Interlocking Pavers - 02.jpg
Interlocking Pavers - 02
pipoz

Return to material prices & building costs