Thai cooking

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Thai cooking

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:42 pm

Baanguru wrote:I'm not too sure if Thai cooking is so complicated as I don't personally know how to cook. My mom is great when cooking some Thai dishes like her green curry and Pad Thai. I also want to learn sometimes but I think I'm not really for it so I just enjoy eating the dishes and forget about the cooking.

Baanguru,
I hate to bring you down to earth but you are contradicting people who have lived here for over 20 years. Someone raised the fact that even though Michelin inspectors do visit Bangkok and surrounds once a year they have rarely given out even one star and those were to individual chefs and not the restaurants. If you read the Michelin report they clearly state that the over use of chilli and non-fresh produce is the reason why.
Many Thai restaurants overseas have Michelin stars, but their standards are much higher.
On father's day last year I was taken to a "high class" Thai/Farang restaurant and joined the queue at the local hospital 1 day later with food poisoning. Locals call it Bangkok Belly, and if you'd care to read a local newspaper you'll find whole schools are affected at times.
Roger Ramjet

Previous

Return to Life in Thailand