Stepped level bathroom floors

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Stepped level bathroom floors

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:52 am

No one can convince me that this is a good idea!
but if tradition prevails I will relent no doubt.

So my first floor construction is 400x200 concrete ring beam and 50/50 plank/insitu.
What is the "correct" practice for constructing an insitu bathroom floor and what do "they" want to do.

I have detailed a sketch for them how I would do it myself. I propose that the ring beams all stay at the same level, the step being created only with the plank/insitu on the main floor.
The insitu bathroom floor will be 100mm thick, and 9mm rebar at 200c/c is taken across the spans and tied to the ring beam cages. Then fianlly tie some rebar 1m long and bent down 90 degrees 300mm into the ring beam as shear bar.
Ply shuttering to the underside; and the top surface of the concrete runs flush into the ring beam metalwork.

Does that sound about right?.............and where are they likely to take short cuts.
eyecatcher

Re: Stepped level bathroom floors

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 am

eyecatcher wrote:What is the "correct" practice for constructing an insitu bathroom floor and what do "they" want to do.

That will depend on your house plans. I have all sunken bathrooms so that if the plumbing does go west it won't flood the rest of the house.
Mine were all poured separately a number of days before the floor slabs were poured. My main problem was getting them to put in the PVC pipes in the correct position and enough drain holes in case of the plumbing going west. Even though I measured and checked each one, somehow they still managed to move the toilet PVC out from the wall a few cms.
If you start here there are some photos and a brief description about the bathroom. No trenchmesh was used, it was all linked in rebar in three different layers. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=405
Just make sure they link into the beams properly and measure all their pipe positions. I missed one drainage pipe downstairs and am now regretting it. You can drill through reinforced concrete but with the amount of rebar I used it wasn't worth the mess or trouble.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Stepped level bathroom floors

Postby thailazer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:06 am

We built our two bathrooms with only a 30 mm drop to floor. Standard Thai down slopes to the drains and it all worked quite well. I dislike Thai houses that seem to have a different elevation in every room. The 30 mm drop ended up being handy when you wash the floors so water doesn't enter the next room.
thailazer

Return to cement, concrete and mortar