Improving Aircon efficiency

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Improving Aircon efficiency

Postby schuimpge » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 am

BKKBILL wrote:The water tank was a 150L stainless steel insulated tank installed outside next to the compressor with a flat plate heat exchanger doing the work.

You reduce power consumption to the compressor by lowering gas temperature and transferring that heat to your domestic water heater.

Here is what the flat plate looks like
url.jpg

and the connection without all solar on the left of hot water tank.
CCI00001.jpg

That heat-exchanger is what I want to do with a peltier and a battery. I'm still waiting for parts, hope my guy finishes them this week.
Tomorrow for sure off to Zeer Rangsit to get some Thermal Paste and have a look at the solar shop there.
My idea as mentioned earlier is to have the peltier cool down the gas going into the compressor.
Will be testing and metering it with a power-supply first, that way, simply switching on and off the peltier should show me good data on the Kill-a-Watt meter and I can measure the power going into the peltier to calculate size of the battery, solar panel and cost to see if it's efficient enough to justify.
schuimpge

Improving Aircon efficiency

Postby schuimpge » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Did some calculations and put a sheet together with basic measured values from 29-March till today.
That's for the spray working, so have now removed the spray and start measuring that.
Some key figures:

฿47.82 Cost Per Day
7.74 Hours per Day (average time compressor was running every day)
฿6.18 Cost for running the Compressor per Hour

This will give me a good base to compare without the spray over the coming weeks.
Compressor is 18k BTU Panasonic (new)
The cost is only for the compressor, not the Head Unit
The cost does not include the water pump.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Previous

Return to cooling systems