Maximum size for aluminum sliding doors?

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Maximum size for aluminum sliding doors?

Postby thisisit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:57 pm

We are looking for high quality aluminum sliding doors in the Chiang Mai area. Does anyone have experiences what the maximum sizes are?

We plan on having a 4m wide and 3m high sliding door.

So basically 4 times 1m x 3m modules |_|_|_|_| of which the two in the middle can be opened |_|####|_|.

Are there any aluminum window stores or chains that come recommended or do we have to find a small glass shop in a soi?
thisisit

Re: Maximum size for aluminum sliding doors?

Postby jazzman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Should be possible. Most aluminium door firms, even in the big cities are 'shop house' industries. Locate some in your area and get quotes. Check out the different grades of aluminium, and different types of glazing. Compare prices with members' messages in this forum.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Re: Maximum size for aluminum sliding doors?

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:08 pm

I don't know if this will help, but in my house in Oz I wanted to beable to open as much of the wall of glass as possible and the options were Folding doors or what I went for which are called Stack a doors, which is basicaly a top and bottom section that provides for a fixed panel at each end the size of the sliding doors, which there are 4. with 2 going each way from the middle on 2 tracks, so you can end up with a fixed panel and 2 doors infront of it at each end, leaving an opening 4 doors wide. Plus you can if required (Which I did) have another track attatched for sliding Fly screens. It's only the section that is required to make it work with any sliding door. The aluminum folding doors are good but more expensive and you can't have screens as far as I can see.
Mike Judd

Return to windows and doors