building our swimmingpool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: building our swimmingpool

Postby jazzman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:06 pm

I've seen the walls of home made pools flattened outwards by the time the pool was only half full. Pressure increases in direct proportion to the depth of water. Pressure in a continuous volume of water is the same at all points that are at the same depth or elevation. Pressure at any point in the water acts in all directions at the same magnitude.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:54 am

We could get into complex calculations about the affects of the gravitational weight of the water, the pressure asserted by the water when trying to escape from the enclosure and even the additional pressure from the air within the water. That would however be of no great benefit to the average reader. I was simply keeping things simple in giving some idea of the forces trying to separate the walls from the base and therefore what the water-stop has to cope with .... even when there is an effective mechanical link between them.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jazzman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:50 pm

The water pressure is greatest (water trying to escape) is greatest at the join between the floor and the wall. Pools walls made of 20 cm thick waterproof concrete plus a waterproofed render, and waterproof tile grout are less likely to leak. Pool walls constructed with blocks and vertical rebar only have less lateral stability than concrete pools with with a 20 x 20 grid of rebar, the bottom part of which is bent L-shaped and locked into the floor rebar.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:16 pm

jazzman wrote:The water pressure is greatest (water trying to escape) is greatest at the join between the floor and the wall. Pools walls made of 20 cm thick waterproof concrete plus a waterproofed render, and waterproof tile grout are less likely to leak. Pool walls constructed with blocks and vertical rebar only have less lateral stability than concrete pools with with a 20 x 20 grid of rebar, the bottom part of which is bent L-shaped and locked into the floor rebar.

Anyone who knows what they doing would never build walls with vertical rebar terminating at the base. The base rebar would be L-shaped and fully integrated with the wall rebar .... as in a poured wall ... I thought that would be understood. The walls would also naturally be finished with a waterproofed render and 'pool' tile grout. Utilising blocks such as those I suggested, with concrete infill and appropriate rebar inserts, need be no less strong than a poured wall. Assuming that the adjacent substrate can provide the necessary support to withstand the loads imposed.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jazzman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 pm

MGV12 wrote:Anyone who knows what they doing would never build walls with vertical rebar terminating at the base.
I agree -t hose of us who know what we are doing, know what we are doing, but I bear in mind that this forum may also be read by new users who might not know what they are doing, and are here for tips and information. I have seen some home-spun pools collapse as soon as the walls are backfilled, and others as soon as they are filled with water.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:28 pm

jazzman wrote: I bear in mind that this forum may also be read by new users who might not know what they are doing, and are here for tips and information.

MGV12 wrote:I was simply keeping things simple in giving some idea of the forces trying to separate the walls from the base and therefore what the water-stop has to cope with

We are on the same page at least then.

MGV12

Postby jazzman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:55 pm

A few years ago, I gave a 'friend' in Udon Thani at his request a lot of free tips and advice on constructing his own small pool which he chose to ignore and the whole thing collapsed leaving gaping sink holes in the garden right up to the foundations of the house. The house was on an estate (housing development) and there was also collateral damage which he had to pay the estate management company to get repaired.

Another pool, a large one built by a 'professional' in Ubon Ratchathani very recently, was constructed using simple thin breeze block for the walls, and a simple 10cm concrete floor with thin wire mesh reinforcing. The pool had no maindrain, inlet or outlet ports, and no pre-cabling for the underwater lights. When the owner asked the constructor how he was going to install the pumps, filters and lights that had been purchased, the builder did a moonlight flit, leaving the owner with a useless, fully tiled 12 x 4 rectangular hole in the garden, and ฿380,0O0.00 out of pocket. I was asked for my advice, which all I could give was 'start over' by building a completely new pool shell inside the useless construction. I believe the owner cut his losses and abandoned the project.

I was asked for my advice on a community pool project commissioned and completed by the owner of a housing estate also near Udon Thani; he couldn't understand why the dirty backwash water was being returned to the pool through a port in the side wall. The pool was an overflow type, and had no maindrain. The person who had 'designed' the pool was nowhere to be found and the estate owner simply decided to fill the pool with dirt and built another new house on the plot. Perhaps not such an important financial loss to the wealthy developer of several housing projects in the area, but a lesson to be learned.

I could fill a book with such anecdotes. Perhaps one day I will.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Although still in context this thread is wandering away from the OP's low-cost pool build.

Sjeng ... I note you are looking in so an update on your project ... if only to say all A-Okay ... would be appreciated.

MGV12

Postby jazzman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:30 pm

In fact the whole thread should be in the swimming pools forum.
jazzman

Postby sjeng » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 am

MGV12 wrote:Although still in context this thread is wandering away from the OP's low-cost pool build.

Sjeng ... I note you are looking in so an update on your project ... if only to say all A-Okay ... would be appreciated.

I am as happy as can be with my swimmingpool.
after the rainy season i put up some sun shields whitch i bought in europe 1squire 5 x 5 m and one triangle 5 x 5 x 5 covering almost all the pool with some shade. and keep the water temp below 35.

pump and de filter very ok (hayward) i cleaned the filter only 1 time until now and filled it up again with 2 kg filtrarion powder.
there is a backwash valve on the filter so dont have to open for cleaning just backwash and put the powder in the skimmer hole.
water quality very stable. keep the ph and chlorine level in order 2 x a week.
no poollights so no insects .
maintnance under 15 minutes a day.
DSC02436.JPG
tiling in

one thing for lessons learned, put the skimmer as high as possible because you get a black oil rim on the tiles obove the waterlevvel. and is difficult to clean. my solution fill the pool up untill it overflows and yes it helps a lot in fact i created an overflow system pool.
and the rain keeps it filled up in this time of the year. and the overthrown water keeps the surrounding tiles cool !

Again, i am as happy as can be with my cheap DIY 5 x 10 m pool for less than 300.000 thb
sjeng

Postby jazzman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:28 am

The 'tikde mark' around the pool tiles is a common issue. The only thing that helps is regular cleaning using a proprietary pool cleaning liquid. Modern skimmers are designed as a one-piece unit which , as far as my memory serves, creates a 11.5 cm between the water level and the pool edge .
jazzman

Postby sjeng » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Its getting hot
so i deceided to put up the shadowsails over the pool, so we can get some shadow on our head. i might consider to buy anotherone to extend another 5 x 5 m. i am also curious if the watertemp. will lower a bit.
).
shadowsail.JPG
sails up

its a paradox in the pool we dont want the sun and on the solar we want more and more. its a pitty i cant redirect the sunlight (LOL
sjeng

Postby MGV12 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:52 pm

sjeng wrote:its a paradox in the pool we dont want the sun and on the solar we want more and more. its a pitty i cant redirect the sunlight (LOL

Many giant mirrors works for the Spanish :lol:

Solar-Tower02.jpg

MGV12

Postby oil » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

thx for this thread i will definatly go DIY on my swimming pool as well,

i would have one more question, i digged 2 meter deep on my property already for the pool but at 2 meter ground water was collection already, my initial plan was to go at least 4 meter deep at some parts, cause i know the water till 2m will be always hot,

since cement doesnt dry, cause its chemical process it still should get strong even when there is some constant water around it ... (i Hope / believe) so you think its good idea to digg even deeper to maybe 3.5 meter and built the pool like that?

a friend told me the cement would get bad it its stands / is always in the water, i wouldnt mind to much if the disintigration of the cement would take 50+ years to be honest.

i just wanted to hear what you guys think
oil

Postby jazzman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Correct that concrete cures due to a chemical process. The water is part of that process and must be in the mix at the right proportion. Normal concrete is not designed to cure if it is over diluted. Keep the pit dry by running a pump until the concrete is hard enough to walk on. If your pool is going to be very deep and much below the permanent water table, consider incorporating a hydrostatic valve in the main drain.
jazzman

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool