insulating the ceiling from underneath?

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: insulating the ceiling from underneath?

Postby geordie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:27 am

cooked wrote:Ok guys, consider me as appropriately nagged and convinced, I'll do it the conventional way, stuffing bats or rolls up through the squares, making sure they extend to the edges of the ceiling, vapour barrier on top (right?). I will obviously start by thinking that I can get away with just taking out every 10th square or so but finish by taking out nearly all of them one after the other. Doesn't sound like a good day. I'll have to live with the bloody tiles. Ok? Everybody ok with that? Thanks, the responses received, you helped me to decide. Next: roof space ventilation, insulating the south facing wall. Then, hopefully, no air conditioning....

Take a look at Max and Bee he glued plasterboard to his walls :roll: but he could just as easily have framed them out with insulation behind as he had aac blocks they are good insulation if you get a ceiling fixer in to do the plasterboard :lol: kill two bird with one stone
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby cooked » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 pm

thanks Geordie, my thinking exactly
cooked

Postby Shastadad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:43 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:cooked,
It is far simpler and less expensive to have ceiling people come in and remove the old ceiling and then gyprock the whole things so you have no seems. Any shop that sells the ceiling gypsum will know of someone who can do it and at the same time you can have a reflective barrier installed.

The only problem with this method is that you need to open the ceiling to add, repair, check or change the wiring so you are left with having to call back the ceiling installer to repair the hole(s) in the ceiling every time you have to access it, since it is not easy to make it "seamless" again

In a new build it is important that you specify that you want a "T-Bar " ceiling if you want tiles that can be removed, since the Thais use the term "drop down" ceiling to designate any "gyprock" type, since it drops down 6 to 12 inches from the cement ceiling

702.JPG

cooked make sure you buy yourself some disposable plastic gloves to remove and then reinstall the ceiling tiles since you really don't want to have to re-paint them
Shastadad

Previous

Return to cooling systems