Keeping It Cool, Living With Thais

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Keeping It Cool, Living With Thais

Postby khorat_cool » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:48 am

I'd like to properly design living spaces in my future country abode, personalizing for the likes of Westerner and Thai.

For example, I stayed at a nice hotel with a large bed earlier this year. The airconditioner was placed to blow cold air directly onto one side of the bed, and the other side was only indirectly cooled. Not the best of both worlds, but adequate. The remote control next to the bed took care of any adjustments that needed to be made. Little considerations like that would make my stay in Thailand much more comfortable, and I can acclamate at my own pace.

The little lady of course likes things a bit warmer. She can be seen waddled up at night with a heavy comforter even in warm weather. I haven't adjusted to that. I'm hoping you have similar accounts of your own. :)

In my country dream house, I see myself spending most of my days upstairs in aircon comfort in a comfortable office with the electronics - computer, t.v., and of course, UBC. ;) I'll probably have only one or two rooms with aircon.

As it is right now, most people seem take a break during the noon-day heat and stay in-doors. I haven't adjusted yet and I can be found "doing stuff" during the day.

I also use a fan on me and my computer for most of the day (with cooling tray underneathe laptop). I'd like to design cool spaces for me and my equipment, as well as comfortable places for her and her family.

Please chime in with any useful suggestions and comments.

I've already decided I want a small water garden outside and some good shading and eaves externally, for good outdoor living as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
khorat_cool

Re: Keeping It Cool, Living With Thais

Postby teletiger » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:53 pm

? :shock:
Last edited by teletiger on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teletiger

Postby teletiger » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:56 pm

??
Last edited by teletiger on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teletiger

Postby teletiger » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:57 pm

? :lol:
Regards
teletiger

Postby Attila » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:08 pm

With some ceiling fans and enough doors and windows to open and to let the breeze in you do not need aircon. Well, at least i do not need it.

I have just a ceiling fan in my office and 2 sliding doors to balconies (with insect screen), sun and heat reflective glass and q-con blocks for the walls, and many visitors ask me where the aircon is - they do not see it, but they note that it is cool.

Now imagine the electricity costs that saves me over the years :D

Just avoid that warm air stays in a room without moving, that is uncomfortable. Get it to move with a ceiling fan (which is better than a wall- or standing fan). Watch from where the wind / breeze is coming and position the windows - and enough windows - to let it in.

You need insect screens in the evening - I recommend the ones I have for my sliding PVC windows and doors, see the recent discussion here about PVC windows.
Attila

Postby mikey3073 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:07 am

just a thought really, i've seen some guy (on the net) who's built his own cooling system, rather crude looking but he reckoned it was effective. it was just a normal fan with copper pipe tied around it running a 12v water pump and cooling the water/antifreeze from the ground.
now i think it could be done slightly better. old car rad with fan, mounted from outside because of noise. and at floor leval.
then an extractor fan at ceiling height to take out the warm air. so cold/cool in at bottom :oops: and warm out top.
yes i know it sounds a bit tight & crazy but it's certainly better than running air con. if only it could work, i wonder. i'm no science geek, just want "cool thai house" :lol: without expensive un freindly air con.
mikey3073

Postby runker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:32 am

http://www.geoexchange.org/

This site may give you some ideas
runker

Return to cooling systems