ALUMINIUM windows and doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: ALUMINIUM windows and doors

Postby Beon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Im shopping for windows and saw that Global House in Chiang Mai has a stock of Thai-Aust windows. They are now in the same price range as in the comparison you did 3 years ago jazzman. Either the overall prices for windows have dropped dramatically (not likely), or Thai-Aust had a big cut in their prices (more likely). Havnt checked yet what a locally built window costs today.

Price quote today (April 9, 2010) on the 1.5 x 1.2 m Thai-Aust window: 4,650 B. The window frame is white, tinted glass, with one sliding part, and with a mosquito net that can be detached to have it cleaned.
Beon

Postby jazzman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Do bear in mind however, that those prices are not for custom sizes and do not include installation.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Beon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:36 pm

jazzman wrote:Do bear in mind however, that those prices are not for custom sizes and do not include installation.

I got their brochure, and its clearly targeted at DIY people. No problem really. I'll just build the walls according to the window sizes. The brochure describes the installation to be just a matter of drilling a few holes, screwing the frame in place, and then filling the cavity with silicone.
Beon

Postby developer3d » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:07 pm

As Jazzman has correctly pointed out the biggest cost in manufacturing windows and sliders here is the glass itself.

Something to keep in mind about the small local window manufacturers is that the glass they buy comes in standardized sizes.

This means that you pay the same for a window or slider of the maximum size possible from a standard sheet of glass as anything they make by cutting the glass sheet down to fit - their costs are controlled by the full size glass sheets.

So these are the best bang for your your buck, ie the most cost effective window sizes, order something smaller than these "standards" as you will pay exactly the same, the extra glass just gets cut off and goes in the scrap.

If your looking for the biggest windows for the least amount of money these are the sizes to look into.

door.jpg

window 1.jpg

window 2.jpg

window 3.jpg

window 4.jpg
developer3d

Postby thaifly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 am

its a gidday to all..its the thaifly from mae rim...its common knowledge...that custom made sized windows are more expensive...then standard sized windows...from the flys experience . it is not a paramount of great importance to fit standard size windows....
... to save a few baht. or size .as the difference in the cost is minimal... and then you have the extra benefit of selecting a size...to suit your build...and views....which will more then compensate the extra costs involved...its a commonsense gidday to all ...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby developer3d » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:04 am

Professional designers all over the World take into account what the standardized sizes are for windows and sliders.

Any Architect or Property Developer setting up in Thailand one of the first things they would ask a local manufacturer is "what are your standardized sizes" so they can use that when planning.

The reason that I gave readers these standard sizes on local Thai Manufactures is that you can save a LOT baht on a build if you know what the standard sizes are !

That does NOT mean you have to compromise, it means that you have the tools you need to STOP and THINK when your designing.

eg If you are thinking about 180 x 120 windows you can save a lot by getting into the next bracket down which would be 160 x 130

In this example you move from a total custom bracket into a standard bracket with a similar window - maybe thats a compromise you want to make maybe not.

I can tell you that an Architect might not be that moved by this information but for a Property Developer it is common sense to work with standardized size brackets when possible he is interested in the bottom line.

The value of this post is that I have provided what those brackets of sizes are NOT simply that they come in standard sizes.

<slight edit Dozer 4/14>
developer3d

Postby developer3d » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 pm

@ Beon

Price quote today (April 9, 2010) on the 1.5 x 1.2 m Thai-Aust window: 4,650 B. The window frame is white, tinted glass, with one sliding part, and with a mosquito net that can be detached to have it cleaned.

So using this information about standardized windows practically you could get a 2250 x 1300 window in white with tinted glass and two sliding panels and screen for 4000 baht including free fitting ( 3800 for bronze ) from a local manufacturer - prices in Chiang Mai

So using the standardised window concept that I explained above you could get an extra 750mm wide window in a "similar spec " more opening area for breeze ( 2 opening panels ) and an extra 100mm in height by dropping into a standard size and save 650 baht and delivery and fitting on just one window

Now as I said you might not want to do that you might want the sizes you have quoted totally cool but its is an extra choice something to consider and you get a lot more glass AND save some pretty good coin even on these reduced prices.

I appreciate that the qualifier here is there may be a quality difference between these two offers that you would need to check yourself clearly I can comment on that.

Hope this makes sense.
developer3d

Postby developer3d » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Oh an one last item based on a common misunderstanding <slight edit for readability Dozer 4/14> on how you apply standard sizing of windows and sliders.

When your dealing with standard sizing you can order a custom made window of any size you like and they should not cost you any more than the max size possible for that "grouping"

ie

In the 2250 x 1300 grouping you can order any reduced sized for exactly the same price as 2250 x 1300

So 2250 x 1300 is 4000 baht then a custom size

2000 x 1300 is the same price
1800 x 1300 is the same price

They have to cut the Aluminum the same number of times and use the same amount ( actually a little less ) for custom sizes, use the same number or rivets and window hardware and they cut the glass down to fit. That is why the price is same the glass is cut to fit a custom size.

It is no extra work for custom windows for the manufacture apart from cutting the glass ( 5 minutes ) - logic says that if you order smaller it should be cheaper but that is not how it works custom windows DO NOT cost more and they DO NOT COST LESS than standard sizes when you understand this groupings concept.

So ironically you always get less window for you dollar when you order custom windows.

Where the benefit is to be had is when you order 1800 x 1300 but you could get 2250 x 1300 for the same price

OR

When you are just above the standard glass size and if you can come down into the next bracket they would not be throwing all the glass out.

So custom windows are NOT more expensive than standard sizes when you explain how they work I hope this helps Mr Fly :)
developer3d

Postby Beon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:53 pm

developer3d wrote:So using the standardised window concept that I explained above you could get an extra 750mm wide window in a "similar spec " more opening area for breeze ( 2 opening panels ) and an extra 100mm in height by dropping into a standard size and save 650 baht and delivery and fitting on just one window.

Thanks for the info Developer3D, I get the point about standard glass sizes. My house only has three windows, so paying a bit more for each window is not that much of a deal. I rather have them the correct size and good quality.

I looked at the Thai-Aust windows and they looked really good, better than your average aluminium windows. As it turns out their offered sizes doesnt fit my house very well , so I cant use them. Next step will be to go to a local shop and see what they offer.
Beon

Postby thaifly » Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 am

Beon wrote:
developer3d wrote:So using the standardised window concept that I explained above you could get an extra 750mm wide window in a "similar spec " more opening area for breeze ( 2 opening panels ) and an extra 100mm in height by dropping into a standard size and save 650 baht and delivery and fitting on just one window.

Thanks for the info Developer3D, I get the point about standard glass sizes. My house only has three windows, so paying a bit more for each window is not that much of a deal. I rather have them the correct size and good quality.

its a gidday to beon....its the thai fly from mae rim...your above quote ..confirms my post of tuesday april 13...which clearly says for a modest house .having.. custom size made windows..is not a budget blow out... for the advantages given...now if the fly was building a high rise condo..standardised size windows..naturally would be the order of the day...i can pass on my local window maker in mae rim if required...just P.M. its a WINDOW GIDDAY TO ALL its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby Sunpax » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:40 pm

I still don't know (cause of budget ) if i put wood or aluminium in my house....I pay the builder for all kind of job...its mean that I need to pay only material...

Now i know the price for wood windows ..around 2000 to 3000 bahts for a 1 m2 to 3m2

But i cannot found any shop for aluminim here where I live...

It will help a lot to know the price for aluminium ...before I plan to go shop at 200 kms.

Thanck's
Sunpax

Postby fredlk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Sunpax wrote:It will help a lot to know the price for aluminium ...before I plan to go shop at 200 kms.

Dozer mentions some prices at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2089.
fredlk

Postby Sunpax » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanck you Fred, but its a price for all inclusive work ? and I need only to know for material
Sunpax

Postby PeteM3 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:21 am

Hi Guys, I am currently looking for a supplier to make and install windows and doors in or around the surin area for a building project I am doing. I am looking for decent quality white epoxy coated aluminium frames with 6mm tinted glass. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, Pete
PeteM3

Postby otis-a » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 am

pete
give surin dave a call on the tele#'s i p/m to you
not sure u can open pm until x number of posts
+66890256902
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

PreviousNext

Return to windows and doors