Pushing the boundaries ... are you?

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Pushing the boundaries ... are you?

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Kevin McCloud's Escape to the Wild, episode 3, review: Prepare to feel like a flabby potato

‘Fit in or f*** off.’ Welcome to Belize, Kevin. Channel 4’s favourite builder-botherer travelled up hill and down dale (via a baffling trip to Belize City’s bus station, which McCloud treated as if he was entering the underworld) to visit the Atkinson family, who’d left the bright lights of London far behind them for a new life in the Central American rainforest. What drew them to such inhospitable country? What’s eating moody dad Richard? And did Kevin pack enough mosquito spray?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 37717.html

Those of us who moved to LOS did so for our own reasons ... but I am sure many of us thought we were testing our boundaries/abilities in doing so even if that wasn't apparent as the prime mover.

It wasn't yet on YouTube when I checked but should be available somewhere.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Pushing the boundaries ... are you?

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:28 pm

Scientists at CERN or the Large Hadron Collider are continuing to try and understand just what was and is involved in the making of a universe.

Basel (dpa) - Physicists working for the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva say they have demonstrated the existence of the pentaquark using the world's most powerful particle collider.

The pentaquark - made up of five of the theoretical particles called quarks as the name indicates - was first suggested in 1964, but previous claims to demonstrating its existence have not stood up to the replication test.

The CERN team says the subatomic particle was discovered as part of the LHCb experiment, one of the four major projects using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

"The pentaquark is not just any particle," LHCb spokesman GuyWilkinson said.

"It represents the possibility of combining quarks -the fundamental components of protons and neutrons - in a pattern that has never yet been observed, despite five years of experimental searching."

Positively charged protons and uncharged neutrons go to make up the nucleus of atoms.

The pentaquark consists of four quarks and an antiquark.

The work of US physicist Murray Gell-Mann, who first suggested the existence of quarks and who won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1969, provided the basis for postulating the pentaquark.

More here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakin ... 64895.html
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Scientists at CERN or the Large Hadron Collider are continuing to try and understand just what was and is involved in the making of a universe.

Basel (dpa) - Physicists working for the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva say they have demonstrated the existence of the pentaquark using the world's most powerful particle collider.

The pentaquark - made up of five of the theoretical particles called quarks as the name indicates - was first suggested in 1964, but previous claims to demonstrating its existence have not stood up to the replication test.

The CERN team says the subatomic particle was discovered as part of the LHCb experiment, one of the four major projects using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

"The pentaquark is not just any particle," LHCb spokesman GuyWilkinson said.

"It represents the possibility of combining quarks -the fundamental components of protons and neutrons - in a pattern that has never yet been observed, despite five years of experimental searching."

Positively charged protons and uncharged neutrons go to make up the nucleus of atoms.

The pentaquark consists of four quarks and an antiquark.

The work of US physicist Murray Gell-Mann, who first suggested the existence of quarks and who won the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1969, provided the basis for postulating the pentaquark.

More here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakin ... 64895.html

Mention the Large Hadron Collider to most people and you will get a blank stare ... tell them that £4 billion has been invested in it in order to discover such things as a pentaquark and the vast majority will say "What a waste of money".

Some perspective .... the link below provides details of start-up tech companies [we are not talking established companies such as Apple/Microsoft/Google/Amazon/Twitter et al but fledglings] that have a supposed 'worth' of closer to £10 billion. Are they more likely to benefit the future of mankind than the LHC?

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/start ... -billion-1

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:21 pm

MGV12 wrote:Are they more likely to benefit the future of mankind than the LHC?

Nothing can quite compare to the LHC when you consider the number of universities involved, their physicists, their engineering departments, their designers, the computing learnt: just the knowledge that came out of building the LHC will surpass anything else that has been previously invented, just small things like control of magnetic fields with the flow on to levitaton trains that use less electricity, less energy and can travel as fast as wind resistance will allow. How the universe was formed, the Higgs bosun, etc etc etc : http://secondnexus.com/technology-and-i ... -universe/
There are pages and pages on what the LHC has done, will do and will remain doing. $4 billion; just a spit in the bucket when you consider religion fleece billions daily off the unwary.
And if they discover a 4th or even 5th dimension think of the consequences, possibilities, probabilities.
And Stephen Hawking has just announced a search for other life in the universe. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-21/h ... fe/6635296 Not the sort of garbage you get on the History Channel but the search for simple things like radio waves.
I hope I'm still alive when they get an answer and I hope Hawking is as well.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Are they more likely to benefit the future of mankind than the LHC?

Nothing can quite compare to the LHC when you consider the number of universities involved, their physicists, their engineering departments, their designers, the computing learnt: just the knowledge that came out of building the LHC will surpass anything else that has been previously invented, just small things like control of magnetic fields with the flow on to levitaton trains that use less electricity, less energy and can travel as fast as wind resistance will allow. How the universe was formed, the Higgs bosun, etc etc etc : http://secondnexus.com/technology-and-i ... -universe/
There are pages and pages on what the LHC has done, will do and will remain doing. $4 billion; just a spit in the bucket when you consider religion fleece billions daily off the unwary.
And if they discover a 4th or even 5th dimension think of the consequences, possibilities, probabilities.
And Stephen Hawking has just announced a search for other life in the universe. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-21/h ... fe/6635296 Not the sort of garbage you get on the History Channel but the search for simple things like radio waves.
I hope I'm still alive when they get an answer and I hope Hawking is as well.

We can only hope that vested interests don't get in the way of the potential benefits actually benefiting the common man ... instead of being exploited for commercial gain as usually happens.

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:07 am

Indeed that’s the point of the Large Hadron Collider.

Must be worth the near 4 billion investment if China is planning one or two that will have greater precision than the much smaller Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, Europe’s particle-physics laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland.

For those like me who have difficulty with large words. here is a short bit from the BBC. :mrgreen:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32087787

http://www.nature.com/news/china-plans- ... er-1.15603
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:31 am

Seems the end is just around the corner Stephen Hawking says 'God Particle' Could Wipe Out the Universe”

Could be this universe is a grain of sand in the cosmos . Interesting read anyway IMHO.

http://www.livescience.com/47737-stephe ... msday.html
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:19 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Must be worth the near 4 billion investment if China is planning one or two that will have greater precision than the much smaller Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, Europe’s particle-physics laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland.

The question is would you trust China to build a larger version of the LHC? China doesn't have the knowledge and their work is at times slovenly to say the least. And once it is built with the help of the international community is there any guarantee they will share the knowledge. Currently everything is shared at CERN and even the poorest man/woman on earth can walk into the place and ask as many questions as he/she likes and be taken on a guided tour. Absolutely nothing is "secret" or "top secret", the knowledge belongs to everyone.
Imagine looking at a huge LHC and seeing "Made in China" stenciled on it. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:22 pm

A preliminary conceptual design for this cutting-edge particle physics laboratory is now almost complete. China is four years ahead of their European competition, CERN who also want to build the only other known super collider in the world. The Unites States gave up plans to do it due to the high investment needed. But even China's project –if all goes according to plan - will only be completed in 2045.

http://english.cas.cn/newsroom/news/201 ... 5741.shtml
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:35 pm

As I said earlier, China doesn't have the expertise, they have invited the best from around the world........ but in the end will it be available to the public. CERN has tours all the time, but will China allow it? From the same article.
A preliminary conceptual design for this cutting-edge particle physics laboratory is now almost complete. China is four years ahead of their European competition, CERN who also want to build the only other known super collider in the world. The Unites States gave up plans to do it due to the high investment needed. But even China's project –if all goes according to plan - will only be completed in 2045.

The initial design for China's supercollider shows a perfect circle-shaped city, where the top physicists from across the world, are working alongside new-technology companies and other futuristic businesses in a kind of Scientific Utopia. It may even give China a fair shot at winning its first ever Nobel Prize in science. (CRIENGLISH.com)

I doubt it will give China a shot at the Nobel, not with them using top physicists from across the world. The day I see Professor Brian Cox conduct a filmed tour around the proposed site for the BBC I might change my mind.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:The day I see Professor Brian Cox conduct a filmed tour around the proposed site for the BBC I might change my mind.

I recently watched an episode of 'Would I Lie To You?' ... first aired in 2010 ... where Brian Cox suggested that during the testing of the LHC he accidentally dropped a pot of yoghurt on a electrical junction and it shut the section down for three months for repairs. About a minute in .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVrFHtZ-Hb4

Another place at the forefront of dark matter investigation is actually off [well under] the east coast of England ... one thousand employees. http://www.boulby.stfc.ac.uk/Boulby/Overview/39340.aspx

A little more about CERN http://home.web.cern.ch/about/physics/dark-matter

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:56 pm

MGV12 wrote:Another place at the forefront of dark matter investigation is actually off [well under] the east coast of England ... one thousand employees. http://www.boulby.stfc.ac.uk/Boulby/Overview/39340.aspx

Recently it has become clear that access and work-space in a deep underground environment is highly valuable in a broad range of science areas beyond astrophysics. This is very much in evidence at Boulby with a number of new studies underway or evolving including studies of cosmic rays and climate, astrobiology and life in extreme environments, development of techniques for deep 3D geological monitoring and various gamma spectroscopy studies of radioactivity in the environment. The Boulby Underground Science Facility is funded by the UK’s Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) and operates in close partnership with the Boulby mine operating company Cleveland Potash Limited.

And like Professor Brian Cox I can tell you that they need to change their vehicles ever 18 months because of rust.....True or false?
I could actually give you a hint, but that would be cheating.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:08 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
And like Professor Brian Cox I can tell you that they need to change their vehicles ever 18 months because of rust.....True or false?
I could actually give you a hint, but that would be cheating.

The laboratory doesn't actually have any vehicles down there. :roll:

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:28 pm

MGV12 wrote:The laboratory doesn't actually have any vehicles down there.

Then how do the scientists travel the hundreds of kilometres to get to the laboritories? They even have a workshop topside in case of repairs needed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:51 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:The laboratory doesn't actually have any vehicles down there.

Then how do the scientists travel the hundreds of kilometres to get to the laboritories? They even have a workshop topside in case of repairs needed.

Where did you read that the laboratory is hundreds of kilometres from the lift shaft?

MGV12

Next

Return to general