Why do so few Thai houses appear to have attic vending?

For general discussion of:
1.) Project management or other professionals used during the project.
2.) Anything related to house design tools and applications. This would be an area to share and get feedback on your ideas for a house plan.
3.) Architectural styles used within Thailand.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Why do so few Thai houses appear to have attic vending?

Postby kmanonmaui » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:54 pm

canopy wrote:like facing a house north rather than south into the sun would be much cooler yet they'd rather fight the sun all day instead of spending time thinking about situating the house optimally.

I agree and disagree. South facing is probably best overall...If you are limited to a single choice. But having both a South facing deck/exposure and North facing deck/exposure allows you to move your outside breakfast/nap time/cocktail hours as the season changes and the sun's position moves.

I've got a million dollar view from my house in Hawaii, but I can only enjoy it in the morning or until after the sun has gone down or behind some low-level clouds as it is facing direct West. Ended up tinting the windows and putting up some heavy curtains (with Thai silk on the inside) many years ago. Added a South facing deck about 7 years ago and that is our go-to place outside. While mornings not so bad on the East side here (Hawaii), I wouldn't want an Eastern exposure past 9am in Thailand. Our Thai build plans have a 21m deck on both the North and the South...and I fully expect to find at least 2-3 meters of shade on one or the other anytime of the year.

As for the West side of our Thai build...well, that's where the carport with its 15m roof goes, along with the laundry area and Thai kitchen!

human-thermal-perception-and-outdoor-thermal-comfort-under-shaded-conditions-in-summer-a-field-study-in-an-institutional-campus-17-638.jpg
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: Why do so few Thai houses appear to have attic vending?

Postby roy.sokolowski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:41 am

I would love to have a solar powered attic fan here in Thailand (we had one installed on our house in Haleiwa, Oahu). I haven't been able to find a supplier and neither has the manufacturer of our roof (Bluescope steel distributor). My choices were a whirly bird, of the ridge vent. I think a white steel roof, with radiant barrier installed/attached on the underside, and the ridge vent with well ventilated eaves will work well here. The concrete work on our home is being done now, when we get to the roof I will post photos of the roof.
roy.sokolowski

Previous

Return to House Design, Architecture & Project Management