Cheap cinder block alternative to shuttering

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Cheap cinder block alternative to shuttering

Postby ajarnudon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Has this been tried before? When pouring concrete for the footings, beams and columns for my retaining wall, we used rented steel shuttering and black plywood. The ply was quite expensive, and while the rent on the steel shuttering wasn't expensive, they charged 500 baht ech way for transport. I have been thinking about alternatives, and the el cheapo 6 baht cinder blocks seem to be a viable alternative. They can be left in situ, and don't even have to be mortared - they can be dry-stacked and earth backfilled along the outside to prevent movement during pouring. Individual blocks can be wrapped in cling wrap to prevent moisture loss from the concrete. The great advantage is that they are not removed (when is guesswork with steel shuttering), but stay in place permanently.
All thoughts posted will help me with a decision. Regards, John
ajarnudon

Re: Cheap cinder block alternative to shuttering

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 pm

I used them when we poured the columns and foundations.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 am

It's a method I've seen used with no problems.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 am

Yes I fully recommend it. This method can be used for creating a foundation ring instead of the difficult and slow pylons (the surface of such foundation is much larger that surface of the 10 - 20 pylons, hence a lower pressure on the soil underneath). Then the same can be used (I did it) for erection of the walls for the whole house (double blocks with a gap), thus omitting the pylons and the concreting formwork with hundreds of supporting bamboo sticks.

Advantage: money and construction time saving and moreover, Cool Thai House.

Disadvantage: a big job to persuade the Thai builders to do it so...
Klondyke

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks for your input guys. I have gone down this track for the footings for two walls of my 11 x 4 m garage.
20180217_152953.jpg

20180217_171641.jpg
ajarnudon

Return to cement, concrete and mortar