too much water in the mix

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

too much water in the mix

Postby windjammer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 am

I know that in an ideal world I can control the builders not to put too much water in while mixing concrete but in real life this is not easy to do most of the time for various reasons.
So my question is this, is there some kind of additive (like one of the sika products ) that I can use for the mix that somehow makes the mix stronger after too much water is used ?
Like i said before , I know i should not allow the builder to mix the cement too wet but sometimes i can not stop it from happening
windjammer

Re: too much water in the mix

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:05 am

I'am afraid you are wasting your time unless on the spot at all times, they have always put too much water in their mixes and will revert to doing it the minute you turn your back. They think we are crazy, can't you Farang's see how easily the mix flows out level with plenty of water.? Then you want us to keep it wet when it's going hard for days.? Mutter! Mutter!
I have just made two pots of concrete samples, one wet and the other reasonably stiff, to show them the difference in say 7 days time when I hit them with a hammer.?
Mike Judd

Re: too much water in the mix

Postby jazzman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 am

I'll second that.
The official slump test is the criterion to use, but there are plenty 'Concrete for Idiots' instructions on the Internet It is vital to avoid a mix that is too wet, all you get once the sand and aggregate has settled is a couple of cm of grey water on the top. There should hardly be a visible film of water on the surface, and the mix should be just hard enough to push a finger into it with the hole remaining until it is smoothed over again.

Concrete will cure hard enough to walk on within an hour or two, and that's when you spray it regularly with a very fine spray to keep it damp while it cures to prevent the hot tropical sun from evaporating the water out of the mix. .

The water in the mix is part of the chemical process and must be in the correct proportion. Some - or perhaps most - Thai workers believe concrete 'dries' and they need explaining that it 'cures'. In thick concrete, such as for example a 20cm pool floor, the curing generates heat that can also cause a water loss. Most people will have seen concrete columns wrapped in plastic film to help reduce the water loss.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to cement, concrete and mortar