Finishing treatment for Shera [type] products

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Finishing treatment for Shera [type] products

Postby MGV12 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:49 pm

There have been comments elsewhere about problems with painting Shera-board; blistering etc

We used this Berger paint three years ago and it is still holding up well.

DSCF0005.JPG

Description/usage:
"Vinyl-acrylic co-polymer emulsion designed for use on masonry concrete, brickwork, wallboard, asbestos etc. Tough and hard wearing, drying to a smooth durable and attractive finish with fungus resistance and washability.

Main conditions:
New concrete should be allowed to cure for at least four weeks and should have less than 6% moisture.
New concrete should be primed using Berger Platong Alkali Resisting Primer #4100
Old surfaces should be sealed with Berger Platong Concrete Sealer #4000
Blah, blah ....."

My recollection is that the workers simply slapped it on to new Shera-board ... HOWEVER ... the area is not exposed to full sun nor foot traffic. I suggest the main problems occur when the preparation is not to standard. As it says on the can, you should always seal or prime the surface first and when exposed to full sun and heavy traffic I would say it's 100% necessary. Dust, loose surface, moisture and contamination will all significantly reduce the performance and adhesion of any product in these circumstances.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Return to cement, concrete and mortar