false floor in attic space

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

false floor in attic space

Postby sirineou » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:42 pm

I Know the title might be confusing, so let me explain. I have being helping a Thai friend design a home using my sketch up skills, we will use the model as building plans for the main structure.
She is concerned with security in her area, and more specific people breaking in to the house from the roof. I suggested welding wire mesh to the metal roof frame under the tiles, but what she want's to do is to install a false concrete floor in the attic space.
I don't have any experience with this, nor have I seen any one do this before, so I have a few questions.
Of course , I realize that she will need to pour beams to support this "false floor", and that will ad to the cost of the build.
but what about using the pre-stressed concrete planks to cover the ceiling, and if she did that would they have to place wire mesh on top of it and pour the 2 additional inches of cement or would the planks by them selves be adequate?
If they did that, would they need horizontal steel for the roof, or would, since they already have the concrete beams, be able to work straight of of that ,mitigating the additional cost of the beams and planks by the use of less steel?
What is the cost of concrete planks at this time?
Is there something I have not thought about with this idea?
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Re: false floor in attic space

Postby geordie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Sounds ok chuck the planks across as in another floor ? you would need to add concrete to bind them together the planks will be no good if they can lift them out of the way and you should be able to do away with the horizontal steels but making a roof without them will be extremely dificult there will be nothing to hold the roof together and stop it splaying the best i would suggest is you could use a lighter steel
Have you considered chicken wire and sprayed with foam ? it would be a real effort to break through that combination the foam glues the roof material down so prevents lifting with a layer of chicken wire reinforcing it ? you would have problems smashing through it? probably easier to attach the truck to a window or door :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to cement, concrete and mortar