form boards and screeding

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

form boards and screeding

Postby glennb6 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:44 am

This is probably a stupid question, but, as I was recently upcountry researching, buying and beginning a build, I have not been able to find anything like STRAIGHT reasonably modest priced lumber with which to make floor slab forms from. Went to a lumber yard in Bueng Kan and other than red wood at higher than steel prices, nope, nada, not here.

Also took notice that in all but real "commercial" building construction", flat and level did not truly exist. I asked about screed boards... no, that didn't make sense, was told it was all done by hand. Floats on a long pole... no. Straight form boards... no.

Was I just too far in the boonies, didn't find the right places, or is this the norm ?
glennb6

Re: form boards and screeding

Postby dozer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:26 pm

In general form wood or ไม้แบบ (mai baep: form wood) comes in 6", 8" and 10" widths and is commonly available and used to form beams and columns. It is normally available at wood processing centers and not so much at building material shops. For more precise builds metal forms are often used.

For screeding they used a tool made of aluminum called a สามเหลี่ยมปาดปูน (sam liam bat bun:triangle level concrete) which comes in various lengths and is used to level the surface of freshly poured concrete.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby otis-a » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:23 pm

hi glennb6;
did the floor pour method on my build but no plans to use that method again, why?
Jazzman reviewed floor pour vs precast slabs and concluded the precast slabs superior: his reasoning is given in the review:
for an example see sasteve's build pictures
or see my build but we only used precast slabs for the 2nd floor.
Reason #2
all leveling and square-ing is completed during the wall install & tile install- so in my mind - is doing same work 2 times when making floor pour too accurate.
All said, am sure not every situation can be covered (pun puny punn) by the precast slabs.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:58 pm

I had the same problem...
wood costs are crazy and then it is hard to find absolute straight wood boards.

Some things you can do ...or I do:
1) Use plywood sheets and reinvorce them with smaler wooden profiles. I bought some wood boards and did cut them in smaler stripes to reinforce the plywood sheets. The saving is not too much but at least the form is straight!
2) Where it fits or doesn't matter use cement pipes in appropriate diameter instead of square forms...much cheaper than wood and nice finish!
3) In July I will do all the foundation of the main house and use cement blocks to build the forms for the lower beams. Just the outer sides will be done with wood.

In my case at the garage for example the ground beams were complete under soil level (+/- 5cm) so I asked them to dig 20cm wide and 50cm deep...nice and straight....put in the rebar...and just fill it. The slab on top will then be done exactly as it obstructs and can be seen later. No head ache and same effect!

...finally you need anyway some wood boards...totally without wood it will not work!
Maseratimartin

Return to cement, concrete and mortar