Where to buy dye to colour concrete ?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Where to buy dye to colour concrete ?

Postby Traveler » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi,

can anybody tell me were I can buy the dye needed to colour concrete for rendering ?

I am talking about that dye you have to mix into your rendering concrete. This will save you the need to paint/plaster the house because the rendering is already coloured. This colour also can't be washed off.
As far as I remember Mrs. and Mr. Cruzing had used that stuff at their house. Actually I am looking for the very same colour (light orange)

I am not talking about that coloured powder you can mix into your concrete when pouring a floor.
That stuff is crap and washes out almost immeduately besides it's intended for a complete different use (floor instead of wall)

I am building in the Buri Ram area, so buying it there would be best.
But even a source in Korat or Pattaya would do the job.

Thanks in advance
Traveler

Re: Where to buy dye to colour concrete ?

Postby jazzman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:26 am

You could try GlobalHouse in Roi Et, but as far as I know it's exactly the same dye that is used in sandwash - which doesn't wash out or fade, even with the bleaching effect of chlorinated water on sandwashed swimming pool surrounds.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 am

had the same problem with the dye not being waterproof on a pattern printed concrete drive cured it by mixing pva glue /unibond into the concrete result were mutch better and the coulour has held
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Traveler » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm

jazzman,

thanks for the info, but the house is south of Buriram and a drive to Roi-Et takes as much time as driving to Korat.
Isn't there anything closer to Buriram or Surin ?

Regards
Traveler

Postby thaitanium » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:12 am

I have also been looking for concrete stain and dye in Thailand for 2 years! I know it exists because I have seen stained and dyed concrete here. Bill Bensley has used it in some of his projects but the scale of these would easily allow the importation of these chemicals. I also met an architecture professor that had stained all the the walls and floors in his office. He studied overseas and so we were able to talk but unfortunately, he wouldn't provide his source and he wouldn't contract for the stain work I wanted done UNLESS I allowed him to do the entire design. His cost was absurd so i said no thank-you. Now, a year later, I wanted to again ask him where he gets the stain and his office is closed...

I finally decided to import it myself. I will have more details in about a week but if there is some product that you must get, please let me know what it is and I can inquire...

Neil
thaitanium

Postby dozer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 pm

The pigments are normally sold in 1 kilo bags and can be purchased at almost any supply store within Thailand. For example, homemart, homepro, homeworks, etc. They come under many different brands, bayer is one that is a bit more expensive but supposedly good. I have had good luck with the pigments at Global House, the red pigment comes in 25 kilo bags (or the normal 1 kilo size) and is not expensive. The pigments are normally sold in four basic colors and you determine your ultimate color by trial and error, depending on amount of aggregate, color of aggregate, color of cement (white vs gray) etc. I have not had any trouble with fading on any of the surfaces I have color rendered....
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jazzman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:37 pm

- and this is the stuff the sandwash experts use for providing contrasting colours in patterned sandwash floors.
My foreman tells me that if it is to be used in rendering or structured stucco, white cement must be used rather than normal boon chap. I assume this to be the case in sandwash too.
We don't do our own sandwash, we leave this to the experts who charge 250 baht / m2 inclusive of labour. In Pattaya they charge up to 650 baht when working for a farang.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby dozer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:43 pm

My foreman tells me that if it is to be used in rendering or structured stucco, white cement must be used rather than normal boon chap

It depends on the coloration you are trying to achieve. The color used here
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=25
or here
http://msdozerscorner.coolthaihouse.com/msdozerspics/thumbnails.php?album=10&page=2

was achieved with regular grey cement. I'll have some more pics to post shortly also with another section done in a nice adobe red color soon....

Lighter colors can't be achieved with grey cement so you are limited to red, orange, browns and darks (like dark blue for example)......
dozer
Site Admin

Postby cruzing » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 am

dozer wrote:The pigments are normally sold in 1 kilo bags and can be purchased at almost any supply store within Thailand. For example, homemart, homepro, homeworks, etc. They come under many different brands, bayer is one that is a bit more expensive but supposedly good. I have had good luck with the pigments at Global House, the red pigment comes in 25 kilo bags (or the normal 1 kilo size) and is not expensive. The pigments are normally sold in four basic colors and you determine your ultimate color by trial and error, depending on amount of aggregate, color of aggregate, color of cement (white vs gray) etc. I have not had any trouble with fading on any of the surfaces I have color rendered....

Bayer is quite a bit more expensive, but then you are getting what you pay for......I''m not sure you can find it in stores. It wasn't available that way when we found it. We bought 25 Kilo bags. The quality of colorants in the local stores don't even compare. Also,from our experience, mixing dye into your concrete is not that easy. You have to have a method of consistency, and even then if you want quality control you must be there at all times while this is going on.

The product superbond http://www.maydayproperty.com/material.php already has the color mixed in and the color is very consistent. You can also apply a much thinner coat and get really good coverage.

Superbond Co Ltd
Address : 20/6 Moo 4 Bankhai Sub District Tumbol Bankhai Amphoe Ban Khai Rayong 21120
Tel : 0388-3
Fax : 038882
Category : Building Materials
Working hour :
จันทร์-ศุกร์ 08:00-17:00 เสาร์ 08:00-17:00

http://www.superbond.co.th/files/Superbond%20Mortar%20color.pdf
[url]
http://www.superbond.co.th/products.html[/url]

As I mentioned in another thread, when we did our wall, Mr. C. mixed it 50/50 with white portland, plus a plasticizer, to stretch the superbond further as it is a little expensive. It is however, way easier to work with and the color comes out great.........and no, I'm not promoting it for my own gain as some seem to like to point out or do themselves on here.....this is for your information, from personal experience, free of charge.....as help and information from Mr. C and myself has ALWAYS been. Isn't that what it's all about, by PM or forum?

Cruzing
cruzing

Postby thaifly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:23 pm

cruzing wrote:.......and no, I'm not promoting it for my own gain as some seem to like to point out or do themselves on here.....this is for your information, from personal experience, free of charge.....as help and information from Mr. C and myself has ALWAYS been. Isn't that what it's all about, by PM or forum?

Cruzing

gidday to the VERY KNOWLEGBLE CRUZING....its the thaifly from mae rim....TAKE A BOW... CRUZING...FOR A VERY INFORMATIVE POST ...which had the previous postings clutching at straws for a solution...or a answer...TAKE ANOTHER BOW CRUZING..for....putting their minds at peace...AND ANOTHER BOW..for not being in the self promotion league as a couple are on the board and we know who they are too???.....ANOTHER BOW...for doing it for nicks...ANOTHER BOW... for always putting the forum first and fore most...then to reap any finiancial gain ...and thats what C.T.H. FORUM....is all about..shame that a couple of members dont follow suit...and as i said in a earlier post this month...your perimeter is A REAL BO DEREK..its a BOW OF A GIDDAY ..to all ...its the thai fly frommae rim
thaifly

Postby dozer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Bayer is quite a bit more expensive, but then you are getting what you pay for......I'm not sure you can find it in stores
They have it at Kanyong in Pattaya, they break it out in to the one kilo bags.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby cruzing » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 am

dozer wrote:
Bayer is quite a bit more expensive, but then you are getting what you pay for......I'm not sure you can find it in stores
They have it at Kanyong in Pattaya, they break it out in to the one kilo bags.

After our experience trying to blend in the bayer color with any consistency and now having experience with the Superbond........we will defintely be using the superbond for any colored stucco applications. It is a superior product with a superior finish..........just make sure to add some plasticizer....we used the one with water repellent also.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby thaifly » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:07 pm

edited thaifly
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:27 pm

[quote="cruzing"]

After our experience trying to blend in the bayer color with any consistency and now having experience with the Superbond........we will defintely be using the superbond for any colored stucco applications. It is a superior product with a superior finish..........just make sure to add some plasticizer....we used the one with water repellent also.
its a gidday to all its the thai fly from mae rim...the above says it all for the thai fly...fair dinkum ...CRUZING..IS one of C.T.H. SMARTEST CONTRIBUTERS....follow the cruzing and you will be a winner...ITS A SUPERBOND GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby geordie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 pm

bump
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Next

Return to cement, concrete and mortar