Building second-storey poured concrete floor

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Building second-storey poured concrete floor

Postby xerostar » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:25 pm

For the crawl space floor could I use a steel framework of rectangular section steel tubing 38mm x 68mm
with 600mm centres then lay Shera fibro sheets 25mm x 600mm x 1200mm secured with tek screws.
see: www.mahaphant.com

The underside of the crawl space could be finished with plaster sheets for the ceiling of the ground floor.

Would this be suitable for the second storey floor as well?
In this case a thin layer of cement and ceramic tiles to finish?

I'm worried that this type of floor would transmit too much noise.

Any thoughts on this?
xerostar

Postby apetley » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 pm

jazzman wrote:No, I'm not the only one, but I'm probably one of the few who are mad enough to spend up to 18 hours a day working on a computer (when I'm not out on building sites) so I see most messages as soon as they get posted.
An upper storey concrete floor is not actually 'poured'. It made by by laying precast, pres-stressed concrete slabs across the tops of the Ring Beams - so there is no need to bend over the tops of the rebar. A thin coating of concrete is then poured over that to make it perfectly flat and ready for tiling; again another big action needing two cement mixers and a chain gang of women to pass buckets of mix up to the upper floor. But all this seems very ambitious for a 'cheap little shed'...

If you look at these two members' building stories, you might see some pictures of this system Apetly, CMX

A little late but I just spotted this when reading up on things concrety.
Our house actually has a poured concrete upper floor.
See these pics viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1070&start=75
I did ask our builder about cast slabs but he reckoned a pour was alot cheaper.
apetley

Postby jazzman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 pm

It's a toss up really.
I would go for the pre-cast concrete every time.

Casting your own floor needs a lot of plywood formwork at 200 - 300 baht a 2.40 x 1.20 piece, a lot of rebar, and expensive CPAC concrete unless you have at least two cement mixers, and an electric elevator to keep the concrete coming to ensure it is laid in one contiguous pour. Very labour intensive.

CPAC concrete
Using pre-cast, pres-stressed concrete slabs, pan peun (แผ่นพื้น) at about 230 baht per m2 is less labour intensive, needs only a minimum of thin formwork around the edges to contain a top coat of 7 - 10 cm concrete over wire mesh reinforcing, and the delivery men will lift the slabs to the floor with the crane on their truck, and position them.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar