- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Used steel or not?

Postby dendijk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:30 pm

We are having some issues with our renovation on our home in Jomtien Beach.
I strongly feel that the steel U beams used in the new carport roof new bedroom extension and other roof extensions are used.
We were quoted new material prices but it doesn't seem we got that.

I see old cuts, old paint, old welds and alot of rust already for material just been put up.

Anybody wanna share their (professional) opinion please?
Attachments
IMG_7838.jpg
IMG_7837.jpg
IMG_7868.jpg
IMG_7869.jpg
dendijk

Re: Used steel or not?

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:08 am

dendijk wrote:I see old cuts, old paint, old welds and alot of rust already for material just been put up.

I would agree. What you need to do as soon as possible is take out the rust, that looks superficial, (wire brush) and repaint the steel. Make sure all the welds travel the complete distance where metal touches metal as all I can see are tack welds. Once that is done repaint over the steel. If you look at the ends of the steel it might have a colour painted on it, which designates what grade it is, it may just be downgraded steel, but I can't tell from the photos.
If you're going to use Colorbond there should be no problems, but if you're using tiles I'd make sure they are light in weight.
You certainly didn't get much for your money, but it's fixable from what I can see. Get at least three quotes the next time and make sure you check the previous builds each builder has done. You just might finish it for under the other 2 million.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Return to roofing