I in Thailand now

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

I in Thailand now

Postby fgrossiii » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Hello to Everyone,
My last post was December 8, 2008, a lot has happened since then. I took the advice given by members that replied to my post and did as they recommended.
I made four more trips to Thailand and decided to go ahead and build a house. I would add that I was 55 years old at the time, if I were ten years younger there may have be a problem. I am settled more and have sowed all my seeds. There are a lot of pretty women in Thailand to look at but I’m settled with my wife.
I started building my house in December 2010. I decided that a three story house was too big and cost too much money. I build a single story house instead. I took a lot of pictures and tried very hard to document all the expenses but I failed, sorry about that, but at the end of July 2011 we were about to move in.
By that time I have spent $30,000 USD. Before building the house I created a plan. I bought a low cost program for build a house, one that guaranteed that the roof would be functionally correct. With the Coolthaihouse website, my wife’s advice, and my very little skills with a compute, we came up with a good plan for the house.
The construction crew was a friend of my father-in-law. The leader of the construction crew was 76 years old and made me feel assumed at how much work his was doing. My hat is off to him for all the work he did to the house. He had a few friends, about four, that helped build the house, a master of their trade. There was no contract to build the house and they wouldn’t was $4oo baht a day for the leader and $250 baht a day for his workers. Of course I paid for all the equipment for building and they had their own tools. I was had the promise that they would not stop until the house was done.
I think I was blessed. I’ve heard of the stories of bad investment and think that I was blessed. 60 feet by 45 feet is the area our house takes up. The workers were able to understand the plans very well. I found out that almost everyone in our neighborhood worked on building houses. It was amazing how plumbers and electricians were coming by to help. I still have members of the family that are good with concrete; they are making a wall around the property.
Since July 2011 we have added a few things to the house. I’ve surrounded the house with screening because of the bugs; we live close to a river where there are a lot of bugs. There was a problem with flooring, which affected our neighbors the most; it stopped the drain for the kitchen. That is a problem I must solve soon.
All the same we are happy with the house, my mother and father in law liked it so much, they move in with us. My sister in law and her two boys are not the house every day, sometimes they sleep in the living room. If I had another bedroom or two I’m sure they would have in too. Sometimes I think I should have built a house a little further away sometimes but I love the company. Perhaps in the future I will build another house.
My in laws house is a far cry from what my house is now and I don’t blame them for waiting to stay. I lived in their house before our house was built and I don’t like it too much. Right now my sister in law and her sons live in mother and father in law house, sometimes. I’m retired now but I have enough money to keep everyone busy around the house. I know that jobs are hard to find here so until I can come up with another way of making money, this will have to do.
They have cows and chicken here on the farm; maybe in a few years they can make money sell cows. They still need to thicken the heard first, I hear the can get a good price for a full grow cow.
I want to drill for ground water by no one since to know any one that does it. My wife and I are the only ones that speak English and it makes it hard to get the information I need. Perhaps I will learn more about it from this website. Thanks to this website for your help.
fgrossiii

Re: I in Thailand now

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:28 am

Good story ... thanks for sharing with us.

Living close to the family does have it's good and bad side but it sounds like on balance you have done well.

Chok dee for the future ... and post a few pics so we can see what you built.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 am

Nice story. It's refreshing to hear from someone who is satisfied with the work of local labour - and the price was right.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:04 pm

You must have been lucky like I was with the local labour, except I don't have to have them moving in when it's finished. My main two workers have built their own house 15 minutes away, so everything is fine in that regard.
With your water supply, it sounds like your house area would have quite a lot of roofing, why don't you see if the rain can catch all that you need.
I will have to see how I go in the dry season and how big a tank required, but when it does rain, it certainly buckets down, nice clean water, not a bit salty like some of the well water from the village.
Mike Judd

Postby fgrossiii » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike Judd. We were lucky but I wouldn’t say I had local labor. I would say it was friends and family. I think with friends and family, not too much can fail. I put a lot of people to work because the price was right. Yes, there is a lot of water here, but my In-laws house is like a pigeon cooper. My wife does not want to drink it. I think I’ll keep drinking bottled water, maybe stock up on it too. I use city water for bathing and bottle water for cooking and drinking. We live cover to a river and use that water for plants and feeding the cows. The city water goes out sometimes and a couple of times I ran water of water. I may have to get another water tank. I must see that the man that lead the people building the house was a friend of my Father-law, 70 plus year old and has built a lot of houses in the past. I’m disabled, retire, and it was amazing to see this guy work. I watched him, almost all day for my In-laws house, he never seem tired. In fact, it looked like he was enjoying every minute. He must a promise to me that he would not stop working until the house was done, and he did. He even made a nice born for the cow for me. My Father in-law is 72 year old and his friend is older than him. I put a picture of him and my Father in-law in MY Gallery, because without him, I don’t know what I would have done. http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/di ... ssageBlock
fgrossiii

Return to Introduce Yourself