Hello from Chiang Rai

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hello from Chiang Rai

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:39 pm

My name is Eb and I have been visiting Thailand for 20 years but have now come to retire here. I have a plot of land (with the help of the GF) and am now working on the plans with the architect with a view to commissioning a builder. I have been looking at postings here for a while but have no construction experience myself so I am setting out with more than a little trepidation!
Ebenezer

Re: Hello from Chiang Rai

Postby MGV12 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Ebenezer wrote:My name is Eb and I have been visiting Thailand for 20 years but have now come to retire here. I have a plot of land (with the help of the GF) and am now working on the plans with the architect with a view to commissioning a builder. I have been looking at postings here for a while but have no construction experience myself so I am setting out with more than a little trepidation!

Welcome to the forum EB .... best of luck with your plans and your build.

Try not to worry .... it won't make a world of difference :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby thailazer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Eb... Welcome to the forum! I am fairly new here as well and we just got our plans done. Hoping to build soon. Good luck with the house planning, and if your GF is from Chiang Rai, have her start talking to neighbors about who the good builders are. That is what we are doing and I think we have found a good group based on how their build sites look. Let us know where you are from Eb.
thailazer

Postby elgato » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 am

Welcome aboard from another newbie! Where in CR are you?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Elgato,

I am renting in Bandu and have some land nearby. Got the completed plans today and just need to understand it all now!
Ebenezer

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi thailazer,

Thanks for wishes and advice. I am from the UK. I have made contact with several builders and the architect will be me in touch with a couple more so I probably have enough to choose from now.

Eb
Ebenezer

Postby thailazer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:48 am

Ebenezer wrote:Hi thailazer,

Thanks for wishes and advice. I am from the UK. I have made contact with several builders and the architect will be me in touch with a couple more so I probably have enough to choose from now.

Eb

That sounds good! We talked to our crew about getting started and they let us know they won't be available until March. So we are back to square zero so to speak if we want to start soon, but lots to do in the mean time so no worries.
thailazer

Postby tangaroa67 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi Ebenezer,

I wonder if you have any updates on your build, plans, builders etc?

I'll likely be starting my own build here around this time next year, so I'll be following your progress with interest!

All the best,

Luke
tangaroa67

Postby otis-a » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:09 pm

hi tan
pretty cool link u post via drop send. Clicked it & voila it opened right to the gmap app on my n97 showing u r about 30km away. Someday if all r n CR we have to meet upat Hanks old dutchmill eatery & bakery, he serves up a bad burger with a good side salid and slaw.
If u expain how u did the drop send it would be a fancy tidbit. <(:o)-
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby tangaroa67 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Otis,

Thanks! That'd be great, but I'm in London right now with no plans to be in CR until after the Olympics. :roll:

Still, plans are progressing :D
tangaroa67

Postby tangaroa67 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 pm

otis-a wrote:If u expain how u did the drop send it would be a fancy tidbit. <(:o)-

It's very straightforward. Using Google Earth:

(1) draw a polygon (Ctrl+Shift+G) around your land
(2) rename it from 'Untitled Polygon' to whatever you want
(3) right click on the new name and click 'Save Place As' and save the .kmz file to your hard-drive
(4) Either: Upload the .kmz to some webspace you have and copy the link
Or: Save it in the public folder in Dropbox which is very cool, and 2Gb of storage is free.
(5) If using Dropbox, right click on the .kmz file (in your public folder) and click Dropbox > Copy Public Link
(6) Paste resulting URL on the forum.
tangaroa67

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:23 pm

tangaroa67 wrote:Hi Ebenezer,

I wonder if you have any updates on your build, plans, builders etc?

I'll likely be starting my own build here around this time next year, so I'll be following your progress with interest!

All the best,

Luke

Thanks for the prompt - your plot looks great and very big. The foundations on mine are completed now and will update my blog when I figure out how to add photos of correct dimensions!
Ebenezer

Postby geordie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:39 pm

Ebenezer wrote: The foundations on mine are completed now and will update my blog when I figure out how to add photos of correct dimensions!

From my photo gallery i try and email the pictures it will ask do you want to reduce them then select the attachments and save then for putting on the forum i always save to desktop dead easy to find
I think you have to have a few more credits ?? ""25 comments"" before you areallowed to PM or put photo,s but i am sure a moderator would explain better :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:18 am

geordie wrote:
Ebenezer wrote: The foundations on mine are completed now and will update my blog when I figure out how to add photos of correct dimensions!

From my photo gallery i try and email the pictures it will ask do you want to reduce them then select the attachments and save then for putting on the forum i always save to desktop dead easy to find
I think you have to have a few more credits ?? ""25 comments"" before you areallowed to PM or put photo,s but i am sure a moderator would explain better :mrgreen:

Thanks Geordie. I didn't know about the credits either so I clearly have a lot to learn!
Ebenezer

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:32 am

MGV12 wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:My name is Eb and I have been visiting Thailand for 20 years but have now come to retire here. I have a plot of land (with the help of the GF) and am now working on the plans with the architect with a view to commissioning a builder. I have been looking at postings here for a while but have no construction experience myself so I am setting out with more than a little trepidation!

Welcome to the forum EB .... best of luck with your plans and your build.

Try not to worry .... it won't make a world of difference :)

I selected a builder, primarily on the basis of a recommendation and also that the boss man would be on-site the whole time. The 'contract' was awarded on the basis of a fixed cost for the labour only. I am buying all the materials and also paying additionally for things like a backhoe (I think that's what it was called) for the foundation preparations, and for the ceilings and windows.

The house will be a single storey construction of 215 sq m. My intention is to use AAC blocks but I have only been able to locate a supply of blocks with a thickness of 7 or 7.5cm. (I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has found a supplier of thicker blocks in the Chiang Rai area). I will be using fairly standard CPAC roof tiles although I understand Colorbond is now the preferred material.

The construction plan was measured out on 12 September and work duly started the next day. There were concrete remnants under the soil in some places so my original idea was to have piles driven and was quoted 70,000 B for 27 piles. My builder however assured me that this was not necessary and I estimated the cost of materials he used for the posts to be only about half of that figure. The only problem was that he rented the forms and understandably wanted to take them back the next day so I accepted a compromise and bought 20 rolls of plastic sheeting to wrap the posts in order to keep the moisture in and allow slower curing. I am a novice at these things but it seemed the only practical solution.

The builders all 'camped' on site and worked really hard. I have tried to maintain good working relationships which I see as a key to a successful project and this has been aided by providing things such as copious amounts of whisky once a week!

To my relief everything has gone quite smoothly so far, although I am aware that this is only the first stage. The foundations, posts, concrete floor slabs and concrete floor were completed on 2 November and this was marked by a celebratory meal for all concerned in a local restaurant (obviously accompanied by the traditional beverage).

The builders are also rice farmers and they then went home for the rice harvest. They are due to return and resume the project on 15 December.
Ebenezer

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself