climate considerations

General feedback on the blog, forum or main site. Gripes or kudos, put them here. But please do not start topics or new threads on building and construction of houses.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

climate considerations

Postby dozer » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:24 am

feedback Bruce M
Great site. As a person who was transferred many times and
built houses in various climates around the USA; as well as
living in Asia, I really enjoyed going over the site and construction details. It was really valuable as my family and I have been exploring going to live most of the year in a house on a lake in New England and looking for a spot in Asia to spend our winters. We have lived in semi-tropical and tropical climes for the last decade and know we would not enjoy a full New England winter.

I spent this summer finishing a project to add a loft and another bedroom to a cabin that we turned into a house a decade ago. The technology just reached the point that allowed us to cross a 7 meter+ span without other support needed for the loft. A problem in this project is getting in the summer breezes and keeping out winter cold that reaches -20C.
dozer
Site Admin

climate

Postby dozer » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:26 am

Interesting about the 7 meter span, would like to get details. Yes, one of the definite advantages to building here is the temperature only gets extreme on one side, hot!
dozer
Site Admin

Re: climate

Postby John » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:14 am

dozer wrote:Interesting about the 7 meter span, would like to get details. Yes, one of the definite advantages to building here is the temperature only gets extreme on one side, hot!

Pre-stressed floor beams will allow a floor span of up to 10M depending on the load/use. Thailand has pre-stressed stuff available but its not caught on in house construction like it has in Europe.
John

Return to coolthaihouse feedback