Here's a story...

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Here's a story...

Postby Nawty » Tue May 22, 2007 7:30 pm

Thought I would start a thread for the house that Sam built.

We are building in Bangkok and took on this project as a learning curve....and crikey what a curve it is.

I am 44yo, with wife, but just call her the wife as we not married, but bloody well as good as after 10 years and 2 kids.

Everything I have done in my life seems to be the same, start a new career every 6 years or so and go into that career knowing absolutely nothing....sink or swim so to say....happily I swam on all so far since 16 years old to varying degrees of fun and success.

Anyway, luckily I entered this project as a learning curve, the only way to learn is to do it and learn as you go....learn from mistakes and practical experience.

Practical experience nealry killed me in one career change though as chasing cows around the bush in a helicopter is something one should not undertake lightly.

So, the learning curve began and luckily I approached it with this attitude as it has allowed me to smile along the way and joke about most of it...while all along learning some valuable things that will help in the future here for sure.

Here are some pics of the first stage, we sacked this builder after the structure was complete....he was a complete tosspot and I still smile about the extra room that he built that was not on the engineering or architectural drawings.

The house is now around 70% complete and I will post more as time goes by.

Here is the electric pump that the builder told me he had and would bring in this morning to speed up the hand digging of the pool area. We had to hand dig because the neighbours got the sads with me....might have something to do with a truck falling through their drainage system at the front of their homes and stuck for a day.
Attachments
1.jpg
Nawty

Postby Nawty » Tue May 22, 2007 7:46 pm

Stage 1 continued....
Attachments
IMG_1909 (Large).JPG
The finished structure after the builder was sacked and cleaned up the site....complete with extra room and all.
IMG_1491.JPG
My son helping to wreck something
IMG_1466.JPG
Getting up to the second level was a milestone for these guys.
IMG_1317 (Large).JPG
This is the first time I have seen this method of wrapping concrete in plastic for curing, anyone know how good it is for the purpose ?
IMG_2081.JPG
Hand digging the pool area, nothing like making twice the work for yourselves, lucky I paid a fixed price.
Nawty

Postby jazzman » Wed May 23, 2007 7:06 pm

Nice pics Nawty, and it looks like an interesting house going up. I posted somewhere on this site once about builders who can't read drawings, but an extra room? Probably it was a kind of bonus because they liked you - maybe you shoudn't have fired them after all!

If you're going to post more pics, and we hope you will, try the picture gallery here:
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/
It's more fun, packed with great features and you can write your comments as you go too.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Re: Here's a story...

Postby dozer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:23 pm

This thread (with a little gap in time) is continued here....

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1233&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
dozer
Site Admin

Return to Your Building Story