Phuket Horror Story

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Phuket Horror Story

Postby dozer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:17 pm

FROM BILL

Let me tell you about my dream of building a house in Rawi Phucket Thailand, turning in to a nightmare!

I employed a builder signed a contract which involved 5 separate payments.. the last payment to be withheld until the completion of the house.

He phoned me regularly wanting his money which I have sent him, I have now paid just over the 4th payment and! you guessed it all has gone very quite.

He promised me it would be finished by the time I arrive(14 Nov 06) my friend who is out there at the moment has told me that no work is being done to my house, and he recons there is 3 months work still left.

The house is a shell and all the expensive work is yet to be done ie windows, doors, floor tiles, kitchen and bathrooms.

He does not take my phone calls.

This story applies also to my friend who has been out there for the last 2 months trying to get his house finished HIMSELF.

I wonder how common this story is and would appreciate any advise.

Bill

Ps he has been very cleaver......he has used two different company's to do my house and my friend's house. All monies I have sent him have been to his wife's account! ug
Attachments
DCAM0030.JPG
Unfinished House
dozer
Site Admin

Postby dozer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:21 pm

I've noticed this problem before with quite a few builders. Some are well intentioned, others are just crooks, but the common thread is that they get ahead in the payment schedule, spend the money on other projects and lose their workers because of slow payments, and on and on. Assuming you can find the guy and he is still operating, you can take the contract and go to a lawyer, threat of legal action might get him moving.

good luck with your problem.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby dozer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:56 pm

update from BILL C

I have now come back from Thailand, where i managed to overcoming my worsed fears ( being ripped off by the builder)

When I met the builder, he bowed very low and could not apologies enough for not having my house ready for me.

He disarmed me and my anger disappeared.

He promised not to ask for more money and consequently continued work on the house....it is still not finished yet but we are more in line with the work he has done and the money I have paid him.

My two good friends who also had the same builder, could not take the way he operated and are consequently trying to sue him thorough Thai courts.......mmm
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Itchy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Well it seems to me that if he is working on your house, and you are happy with the job that he is doing then this may be a case of 'All's Well That Ends Well'

However, I have a note of caution - Don't Leave Your Builder to complete the house while you head back to Farang Land.

If you do the inevitable will happen, he'll stop work and if there are others who are persueing him in the courts you may find he's not arround to start working again the next time you show up.

Stay on site or visit the site every day until he's finnished.
Itchy

Postby jazzman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:41 am

It would not be normal if Jazzman too has not had any similar problems. But he has always made sure that the work is ahead of the payment schedule. There is about 8,000 baht's worth of labour to finish jazzman's Green House, and the foreman does not get the 60,000 balance until everything is finished to complete satisfaction.

The actual labour cost
is one of the less expensive parts of the whole thing, and by staying firm, cool, unruffled and always, of course always, smiling, it can be managed. Like anywhere else, being a labourer on a building site is one of the lowest paid jobs, and these people DO need the money after all. If coming and working for it is the only way to get it, they will soon come back and finish your house.

Big jobs like doors and windows, electric and plumbing - even tiling, are best contracted separately to reputable and reliable firms, and not through the builders. This is one of the huge advantages of doing your own BOQ and running around doing ALL the purchasing yourself. the 'labour only' kind of contract is by far the lesser of all the evils of getting a house built in LOS. Of course, this also presupposes a minimum of knowledge of construction work.
Not all of us do. :cry:
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to Your Building Story