Recycled Wood House in Bangkok

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Recycled Wood House in Bangkok

Postby UncleDonald » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:09 pm

My friends have a wood house built in Bangkok and have written an extensive blog on the whole process at
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... logid=396&
They would proabably post the stuff here, but I am just learning about this site.

Pictures following show the original house about to be torn down (it was not on legal land) and the sketchup reconstruction concept.

I'll suggest they learn more and join this excellent website.
Attachments
housejul05.jpg
Img_5166_(2).jpg
UncleDonald

Postby runker » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:27 am

What a great read. :D
runker

thai house

Postby cruzing » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:08 pm

He sure is good at putting his thoughts on paper/computer, a real story teller. Maybe he should put it all in a book at the end.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby SVielha » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:28 pm

This is a nice little project!

Who wants to live in the house, when it`s finished?

How much he expect, it will cost?

Hope to see more pictures.

PS: It`s good to keep some tradition, before the Thai`s forget their own tradition.
SVielha

Postby Itchy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:22 pm

PS: It`s good to keep some tradition, before the Thai`s forget their own tradition.

Interesting that you should say that, because if there is one person and one house that has brought Thais back to their own culture it would undoubtedly be Jim Thompson and the Jim Thompson House.

Collected and assembled by foreigner at a time when Thais were discarding their architectural heritage, and as I'm sure the owner of the house in this thread will be happy to admit, in the same style.

Jim Thompson did a huge amount to re-introduce Thais to not just Thai architecture, but Thai Silk/fabrics/style/design.

If you're in Bangkok make an effort to visit the house, it is perhaps the most significant house in Thailand interms of its influence on the reasserting of Thai culture.

Truly seminal.
Itchy

Return to Your Building Story