House Extension to "Baan Thai" Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai" Chiang Mai

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Chapter 12 day 2

I am all tooled up now! I went on a second shopping recce this morning to the usual places plus 3 new ones to really establish in my mind the prices and what you get for your money.

In the end I bought a Hitachi chop saw 2200watts for 3900bt; this was a middling price of the ranges available; only the Makita and deWalt was silly money for a less powerful unit.
Home Pro for some reason had a Bosch at the same price, I thought it was a mistake as home pro are usually a fair bit higher but the same model in global was 1000bt more expensive. :shock:

I bought an MMA welder TUF make, for 5k baht after a surprise500bt discount. I really preferred an IWELD which is the brand Thong uses and he is a pro so I expect he knows the good from the bad.

1.jpg

Anyway my standard at welding is not like my standard at badminton so I have to lower my sights. I actually paid less for it than I paid for my badminton racquet. :roll:

I am not going to be doing TIG welding or anything fancy, so really I just need a basic model to see me through diy projects.

I had already checked out all the eye protection. They went from 30bt for a pair of sunglasses that according to all the pictures on the packets they were all singing and dancing, use them for cutting steel, use them on your motorbike, use them on the beach, use them for gas bottle welding…yeah yeah yeah. Then I looked at some cheap goggles I once bought for thong and he said it was safer not to use anything than those. :lol:

Bollox to it; someone is recommending the automatic ones, safety approved, international standards…but they started at 1480bt-1900bt. :(
That’s a lot of money but welding is a serious business, blindness and burns being the least of your worries!

Ok for now forget the cost just go and get a good approved one. It seems welding helmets must be so boring they are now sold in designer livery and need to make welders look bad ass :roll:

There was a red one, actually the flames from hell all over it, really nice, then there was the eagle, you could just about make out the eagle emblazened against the stars and stripes flag…,but as a Brit, I wouldn’t have that one given to me.!

There was a black one in the shape of a skull….i just got a plain black one, with light sensitivity, and a shading sensor setting according to whether you were arc welding, tig welding or 6 other different operations.

1600bt it was, I really indulged there, but when its personal safety on the line……………then you can always count on me to do the right thing……wrong, flip flop injury, burned toes, doctors, medicine for 6 weeks!! :lol:

I had tried to keep the conversation about expenditure to a minimum, as I knew Wasu wouldn’t approve. That conversation started early morning………..

“what is your plan today”

“Well I have been thinking about doing all the steel cutting and burning myself so I want to go and look at machines”

“Look its easier to get someone in to help”

“No its not, we asked Thong weeks ago and he is either too busy or he doesn’t want to come so its best I sort it myself”

“I saw some steel men at the house at the end of the soi”

“Well I am not going to ask them to come and help with a half day job and be charged 2k. at some point I need to repair the main gate and there is a screen to fit around the water tanks. Its an investment which will be worth it”

“how much are they” :?:

“Just 6k or 7k” :)

:shock: Oh….expensive (I didn’t mention the 4k for chop saw, 2k for the visor, gloves, extra disc)

“Look, we can look at it as my christmas present to myself, after all I saved over 10k by building the wall myself.”

“Its funny you know how men and women are different; men feel its important to spend their money on tools and the car and women think its necessary to spend money on cosmetics and shoes.”

“Yes; cosmetics and shoes, what a waste of money…theres no investment there, its just fighting fires!!” :wink:

No sooner was I home I had the saw cutting steel into 750 long lengths. These will be the support bearers for the shutter ply.

DSC_0140.JPG

A short day tomorrow, its badminton day so I will go an order some more sand and gravel for the concrete in a few days and if I have time try to lift the rest of the plywood decking sheets.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Chapter 12 day 3

Its welding day and I am looking forward to this. Try and learn a new skill. Like everything its only experts that make jobs look easy. :roll:

Welding for example, honestly looks like a piece of piss to do but after trying last year with Thongs machine I am afraid everything wasn’t as easy as he made it look.

First off though was a flight to book for Wasu. After last weeks upset with her fathers bad antics her mum has today been admitted to the hospital for a scan at the very least and who knows what else afterwards.

As I said before, this makes me so angry, not just beers but the whole package of upset and inconvenience and expense for people.

So its high season now, flights are not cheap; the weather is rainy and there are too many horror stories of overturning coaches. Flights yesterday were running at 3000, 2490bt one way to Ubon or Roi et but today a last minute to khon kaen is coming in at 1250bt. The down side is she will still have to find 500bt for a taxi and another 3hr bus ride to Yasothon.

Ramifications for example…Our receptionist will miss her day off, :( I am on standby to go shopping or anything else. But its her family and she will do whatever she wants.

My first building task today was to remove the ply decking. Only 4 pieces to remove but its been well screwed down and where the screws has got wet before, they had rusted so unscrewing wasn’t an option.

DSC_0142.JPG

It took me ages to remove two large sheets, I had removed a small one a month ago but the easiest way to release the board was to drive the screw right through the board. 5lb lump hammer and bolster

The steel didn’t look at its best. Its surprising how quickly rainwater attacks the steel and rusts it up. :(

My welding today was really just a self teaching practice. I didn’t expect to do it right first time; but I hoped to do of course.

There certainly is a lot of trying this and that, change this, do that. The power on the welder I was changing every piece to see what effects it had. The amperage could be too low or too high, you can move the stick too fast or too slow, wrong angle, metal too thin. The electrodes were constantly getting stuck on the steel and I am sure this was due to the amperage not being high enough and dirty contaminated and rusty steel!

I have pieces where I did a nice bead and was quite pleased with it, yet at the other end I had burned 5 holes in the steel!

I have fixed 11 pieces so far and have not really developed a technique, and I wouldn’t say any were actually better than the previous one but so far they are all holding firm even though they dont look very pretty.

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

I have established 85amp is about the right setting for a 1016 rod. I also established 1.2 guage steel is too thin for welding (for a novice)

I am happy to get a free pack of electrodes with the machines because I was using at lease 2 for each piece joined.

Any interludes were spent watching some you tube videos of techniques, and tips so I hope by tomorrow I will have a bit more knowledge to put to the test.

DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

My auto helmet is great. Even though a bit cumbersome; being hands free and being able to see what you are doing safely is very important.

With Wasu likely to be away now for another 3 nights I am setting myself a challenge target of getting it concreted before she gets back. :|

It will be another two or three days on my own so if I can sort that out whilst she is away then great.

Its just a never ending project but I love it! :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Chapter 12 day 4

It was an early start as I had to take Wasu to the airport. We both thought a flight to Khon kaen and a 3 hour bus ride to Yasothon was the lesser of the two evils; the other being a 14hour overnight coach ride in the rain.

She will be away for 4 nights certainly so I should make some headway into the rear decking. :)

I am going to give it a full day today, and that’s only because I was already back home and had breakfast before 7.30 so it was a proper builders work day 8-5

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

I really don’t know where the time goes. Perhaps I am spending too long welding each bearer. They are 750mm long and I am trying to spot weld almost every 30mm along the length.

A full day welding and cutting smaller pieces to brace the mid spans. I wouldn’t say my welding has improved but I have started to just spot weld in stead of trying to make a long fillet weld.

DSC_0151.JPG

My skill level and temperature settings are obviously not to the correct standard for anything as complicated as that especially on thin steel like I am working with. Its just too easy to burn a hole in the steel when it sonly 1.4mm thick. I mean how the hell do you guage to puddle the steel at 0,7mm deep???? :lol:

Having taken another decking board up today I can see there is a steel section that Thong had fitted really to carry the handrails for the stairs. Unfortunately it’s a bit higher than I want, higher than all the decking steel by 10mm or so.

By close of play I am left with about 6 pieces to custom fit around the staircase plus a 1m2 area at the top of the kitchen steps which I still dont know how to deal with….tile it or timber floor it….it should be tiled I suppose and that means having to chop out the top tiled step.. nightmare!! :(

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0153.JPG

The problem is I have to find a transition between the staircase and the new deck level and the timber deck level and each are different.
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:41 am

Don't give up your day job

You really need a lot more practice

IMG_0589.JPG
I or 2 may be ok

It's difficult to see with the picture but some of these the problems include, inclusions, slag not chipped, not welded and of coarse burn through. For that one I hope it's not important if it holds, take a lump Hamer to it it's likely to fall off

I'm not saying I could do better when I started

First point use 6013 rods, it's the standard and everyone can help it works AC DC+ and DC- in all positions

Second point try swapping DC- to DC+ One has better penetration which you don't want

point 3 Get yourself a wire brush and use it

Point 4 an angle grinder so a welders best friend with some flap wheels

Don't practice on things that need to be good.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:03 pm

To add:
Make sure you have the welder set at about 80 for soft metal.
If it doesn't ark then you have a bad earth. Drag the rod along the area you want to weld, nowhere else, to see if it arks. Clamp the earth as near to the area you are welding as possible.
You are welding in the easiest position (downwards) so make sure you don't stay too long on each U you do or you'll burn through.
Never try and weld on slag.
Make continuous runs with each rod.
Make sure the rod is clamped firmly.
Practice on scrap before you start. The objective is continuous U's.
Japanese rods are more expensive but superior.
The difference between a bad welder and a good one is an angle grinder.
But as you have already done this weeks ago you should be an expert by now. Currently you would get nothing out of ten for any of your so called welds.
Do not listen to Thais, none of them I have met can weld.
Roger Ramjet

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:03 pm

STWW;RR

weld.jpg
weld.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 246 times

Eh! Looks aren’t everything you know. :shock: Just because I have a lot of slag on show doesn’t mean there isnt underlying beauty. :wink:

I know my faults, well; some of them but after a days practice burning each piece at a difference temperature I agree its not pretty but that wasn’t my purpose here.

My welds are not going to be seen, but they need to be functional and as I will mention in the following post I have deduced they are strong enough to withstand the force of a falling part from a satellite. :lol:

So for function, they deserve at least 5/10 surely?? :D

Agreed they are not pretty and I am sure a personal technique will come in time.

One thing I will not do is use an angle grinder, that’s cheating at best, though Thong did use a grinder on some of the handrail bits and pieces.

By the end yes, I did find a setting of around 75 seemed to work better…it wasn’t any prettier but I had to find a compromise between a heat setting and time spent in each inch run and trial and error is the only way to do that.

Its quite fulfilling really to get that piece to stick, but the slag is a ‘cking nuisance. :( I have a tiny tapper and wire brush but I wasn’t interested in going over old ground and would start a new one; trying to get used to a technique on how to hold the damn thing.

Its not easy, as many of you may know.

I probably spent three hours watching stick welding on you tube…pretty much all were the same and I didn’t learn anything, moreover the slag thing, not one video mentioned why it needs removing, I assume its just spent flux?

“don’t practice on things that need to be good”

Did you never get get pushed in the deep end and told “swim”..it puts you under a certain pressure to make sure you get it right

RR. welcome back!! Though I think you have followed because i couldn't place the 13th reader! :lol: :wink:

The arc, yes, from info I have gleaned I had often put the failure to arc down to rusted or painted steel and secondly a slag filled rod end but I accept a bad earth, again on painted steel may affect the starting gun.

Expert…ha! :) I literally tried to burn three pieces together a while ago. It took me longer to work out how to make a circuit that actual doing the burning…. And my burning then, maybe an hour was equally pathetic but in the end its sorted….(or did Thong come and laugh at it, and tried to sort it out, hmm maybe)

Anyway no more excuses from me, time to find out whether my crappy welding has done the job…or not! :lol:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Chapter 12 day 5

I didnt get much time to myself; :( Wasu has already sent word that I am to collect her from the bus station at 8am tomorrow.
I tried to persuade her to have more rest. Her first night there was spent on the sofa at the hospital her mum was in. The next night she spent at home on a concrete floor and tonight it will be spent on a bus. :(

And all because she doesn’t want to close the spa because her receptionist is taking her day off. :shock:

I said to forget it, and lets just close after all she isn’t going to be in any mood to work after a 13hr bus ride

Anyway the main reason for her going was to ensure her mum is ok and not to leave her alone in a hospital. Wasu has been paying medical insurance for he mum for the last 2 years after she had an accident in the field with the tractor.

The premiums are more than I pay for mine, I think 18k, mine are 13k but at least she gets a 2000bt a night private room whenever she has to go and then something like 500bt cash back in her hand when she leaves.

:) The good news is that she had a CT scan to check for kidney damage and it appears all is ok….?....for now?.....

Plan for today; to finish the last few bits of home made shelf angles and fit the plywood permanent shuttering.

I had used up all my 20x20 steel but still had a few more voids to shelf out. I found some small off cuts of 20x20 and had to cut up some 50x25. Looking at the angles cut on it these were the old handrail from this very staircase that we fitted one day, and the next we cut it out again.

DSC_0156.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG
the secondary dilemma section

The welding technique is getting better but getting the timing right for when both pieces are molten without burning a hole in one side is still not under my command.

I do however enjoy doing it. :)

One day I will be good at it because welding is an art and I am quite competent on the drawing and arty side. Its not unlike using a paint brush to colour in between two lines. Its exactly the same with a molten puddle.(in theory)

There have been occasions here where I burned a piece about 10 times and thought it was good. When it cooled down I tried to pull it off…I have pulled off about 4 pieces!!! Looked good but were missing the joint completely! :lol:

I have actually tested and stood on every piece with my weight and you know the vast majority have taken my weight no problem…..though I wasn’t over confident about testing….one slip and the crown jewels are knackered. :shock:

Right; we are onto the ply infills. Simple enough task but murder on your back. I found it easier to weld on the floor for 2 days than to lean across on your knees with a circular saw in one hand and holding the board with your other arm and leg.

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

Your back is twisting more and more as you move along the cut, then at the end you automatically try to lift the saw at arms length and you can feel the back “going” :(

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG
my beautiful welding...gone!

DSC_0162.JPG
underneath looks ok, not one burn mark

I was done with the infils by 3pm and thought I had time to lay out some mesh and get one mix of concrete done.....
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Chapter 12 day 5 contd

I bought this roll of wire netting over a year ago when the renderers were starting the outside. The intention was to have it on hand to bond the render between the blocks and the columns to prevent cracking.

In the end I didn’t need it. I designed all the walls to the front and the central deck side recessed 50mm so that I could clad them with timber and the back and side walls were never really in danger of getting any midday sun and suffer any rapid drying out.

One year on I do not have a single shrinkage crack anywhere on my external render. :)

But now I have this spare roll of wire netting. I am going to use it really just as back up….a precaution. :lol: :lol: (but still every confidence in my welding)

Each of these individual concrete floor panels I have calculated will weigh about 20kg each and each panel is carried on a 15mm piece of ply on 2 bearers and the mid span bearer. I have 14 panels.

When I was reading up about the electrodes. The number in particular. My electrodes are 6013. The 60 tells you that a successful weld will require 60,000lbs of pressure to pull it apart….i don’t know how wide it needs to be though? :?:

60, 000lbs is the equivalent of 27,215kgs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, you know where I am going with this………..yes; the mesh I am putting in for extra insurance isn’t necessary. You stupid boy! :lol:

By my reckoning if I have successfully welded one spot out of ten on each of these steels the concrete will still be well supported.

I am not infallible, I could have failed in all 500 spot welds so that’s why the mesh is going in.

DSC_0165.JPG

Its wrapped in and out over the steel so nothing will ever fall through even if a part from a satellite hits my decking.

DSC_0166.JPG

I made a mix of concrete; then another which only managed to fill in three panels. The concrete is only 60mm thick so its difficult to tamp it down and flood it with cement. Dry stone appears at the edges. Really I should have bought the pea gravel for this slight thickness as I did for the kitchen worktop and the outside front wall capping.

DSC_0167.JPG

Good job today. Just wish Wasu wasn’t coming back in the morning. She will complain about the mess for sure.

Dust everywhere. Cement splashes, sawdust, her underwear still outside collecting cement dust. She will be tired, moody and I see an argument fall out about to happen.

But I can handle her;I have so much experience already. :roll:
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 am

eyecatcher wrote:STWW;RR

Eh! Looks aren’t everything you know. :shock: Just because I have a lot of slag on show doesn’t mean there isnt underlying beauty. :wink:

But it also doesn't mean there is an underlying weld, that's one of the 4 main reasons for chipping slag.

Its not easy, as many of you may know.

I'm with you there, that is why I try to use thick steel in my projects, as it's more difficult to make mistakes :roll:

E8240906.JPG

“don’t practice on things that need to be good”

Did you never get get pushed in the deep end and told “swim”..it puts you under a certain pressure to make sure you get it right

Yes, and it taught me not to put my self in that position ever again.

But I don't see that it's relevant here.

The arc, yes, from info I have gleaned I had often put the failure to arc down to rusted or painted steel and secondly a slag filled rod end but I accept a bad earth, again on painted steel may affect the starting gun.

An easy way to deal with a flux filled rod is a quick vertical tap on concrete, this breaks off the flux at the end. A bad earth is seldom my problem.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:32 pm

I don't believe you're going from one disaster to the next. You've just poured concrete on un-chipped, unpainted, soft, cheap mean and nasty grade 3 steel and you expect it to hold up concrete and the weight of people.
You didn't listen to one word of advise either of us gave you.
Roger Ramjet

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Chapter 12 day 6

8am and I am waiting for Wasu to return.

1 (1).jpg

1 (2).jpg

And here she is, looks like she ended up with the front seat…on top of the driver!! At least she doesn’t have a steering wheel….thats the better news!

She was tired and rightly so; too tired to complain so thats a good thing.

Her first job when we got home was to instruct me to put the rice on; ah it looks like she is cooking breakfast.

I took her to work for 11am and I returned to face a 4 hour stint of mixing and laying concrete. The sweat was dripping from my head and I realized that the effort to mix concrete is harder than a 21-19 win at singles in badminton against your toughest opponent.

I have been changing my connie mix from 1:2:4 to 1:3:6 and found the edges agin’ the steel were a bit dry and of course the aggregate was exposed and isolated.

After a random mix of almost 1:2:2 the mix was very much akin to all the concreting I have seen here; very nice and workable, a bit sloppy but filled my panel voids perfectly.

But;….the reasons it works well is because it is short on aggregate….well short. So concrete here is so weak its not much difference to a strong mortar mix. The reason imho; aggregate is the most expensive bagged commodity here, its 10-15bt a bag more expensive than the sand, so to save money they throw in a bag of sand instead of the aggregate. It doesn’t matter the cheap reinforcement will compensate.

For my panels though, yes really I don’t need to throw in as much aggregate because at only 60mm thick its difficult to work with and there are a lot of voids to fill.

DSC_0168_02.JPG

DSC_0169_02.JPG

4 hours later I have completed about 12 panels and just 4 more to do; although I am still to decide what I will do at the top of the stairs. Timber deck it or more welding/concrete and tiling.

I will give that a coat of looking at tomorrow when I finish the four panels.

The good news for today is that my mum sent us a very generous New years gift. :)

She said she was going to send us some money to put towards a lounge furniture set but quite unbelievable actually; as it will finance pretty much all of the external works as well!

We are of course both very happy about this and takes the pressure off Wasu some what thinking she has to keep working and working and working for another year.

Despite the windfall however it doesn’t mean I will be pissing it up against a wall by paying for Thai labour…not a bloody chance.

Cheers everyone, and a belated happy new year. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I don't believe you're going from one disaster to the next. You've just poured concrete on un-chipped, unpainted, soft, cheap mean and nasty grade 3 steel and you expect it to hold up concrete and the weight of people.
You didn't listen to one word of advise either of us gave you.

Phew! for a second I thought I read I was going from one disaster to the next. :shock:

As I mentioned earlier, each panel of connie is 20kgs and I have tested each of my shelf angles with the hammer and then my own weight.
On top of that is a 15mm plywood panel that aint going anywhere plus the mesh that also aint going anywhere.

Whilst both your comments have been heeded for the next time, what you are reading is 50 days ago and so far my deck looks as good now as it did then...with no disasters. :D

Because of my writing time frame, I am unable to act on any advice that follows on from any of my posts; so there is little point trying to scare me. :wink:

When a disaster does occur, I will relate it in the most dramatic way I can; but so far it seems everything I do turns out fine. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Chapter 12 day 7

It didn’t take long for me to finish the last 4 panels this morning.

1 (1).JPG

1 (2).JPG

With less than half a bag of cement left and a couple of bags of sand I had bagged up myself from last year, I mixed it with two bags of aggregate to make the infill footing for my garden planter wall.

1 (3).JPG

The existing concrete slab I feel is a little tight at the bottom of the stairs so I will extend it by 300mm. most of the new planter wall will sit on this footing. Its only going to be 300 wide and about 300 high filled with soil.

So that’s all my sand used up and all my cement but still have 3.5bags of aggregate left.

My plan in the afternoon was to go and buy some tiles. During the count up it looked like a decision to tile the 1m2 at the top of the steps was the lesser of two evils. It means now removing the ply deck and welding shelf supports on again; then concreting again.

1.jpg

Its no biggy really; I have to burn a steel filler piece where there is a 90mm void between the steel deck frame and the back of the old house.

1 (4).JPG

It looks like my tile setting out willl mean a 50mm overhang, so best to support it with some quality welding.. :lol: :lol: (if only I knew what advice would be given to me in 7 weeks time :roll: )

advice...hmm sometimes appreciated; but knocking me down is the easy part. If you want to keep me there you're gonna need backup! :wink:

My plan is to lay the tiles on a standard mortar mix; so I will just go an get another 3 bags of building sand and a bag of poooon and we are good to go!! :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Chapter 12 day 8

First job, down to the builders yard for a couple bags of cement and some more sand to keep me going for the next three days..

I tackled the final small area today; the top of the steps. A bit awkward in that the steelwork is on all angles under here so getting pieces to fit is not easy.

However its only 1m2 and I want to get everything welded, the ply re seated and concreted.

DSC_0174_02.JPG
perfect weld you can hardly see it!

DSC_0176_02.JPG
not pretty but solid as it needs to be.

My welding is getting easier, my hand is now steady and I can bob the stick like a duck now. I even managed to give myself my first burn. Not sure if the hole in my glove was already there or whether some slag went right through. But small burn on my finger end,..i must be initiated now? :wink:

I was also getting a few minor electric shocks recently and now put this down to holding the stick with damp gloves after concreting previously. Its not a problem holding the welding rod to steady it with your bare hand but use a damp glove and the shingle tingles are happening.

Wasu wasn’t happy today. She had contacted the car loan bank to see if we could pay off part of the loan. They refused. Tied in for 5yrs, you could have 99% of the outstanding loan in a bag to pay off and they are not interested. 100% or carry on with your 7k a month payments.

Pathetic isn’t it, at least with a mortgage you can overpay or pay off chunks as and when.

Wasu being sensible is trying to reduce our debt now as she foresees a difficult year ahead for us, with fewer customers and the strong likelihood that our business rent will rocket in 3 months when its due for renewal.

Furniture isn’t a necessity atm as she is spending long hours at the spa so whats the point of a lounge set. But that’s what my mum helped out for; towards our furniture.

Final piece of infill steel to carry the edge of the tiles for now.

DSC_0179.JPG

and boarding and concrete, done :)

DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

By lunch time 5pm I was going to call for a bunch of bananas and then pad thai and beer on the way back, 35bt for a bunch of lovely long western bananas, 30bt for the pad thai that’s impossible to finish and 52bt for the beer, what a bargain!
The banana man has a table outside his house and we have been buying from him for a while….well Wasu has, she was using his bananas at the spa for the customers and hadn’t told me about this place.

At the back he had bags and badgs of green bananas ready to go to the market and he also seels banana trees.

He was chatting to me for 15 minutes today, speaks reasonable English and I learned all about the Thai economy, the floods in the south, the Englishman who is building a resort at the back of his house that looks fantastic on the internet but actually its crap and horrible (he says) he wasn’t too please that I have been here 6 years and I don’t speak thai better than I do but was happy to learn I only live a 1km away. When I mentioned the trees he was keen to oblige but I said not at this time. I will want another banana tree in 6 months I guess.

Day off tomorrow I think. Wasu is planning on taking a day off so I will take her for a day out, treat her to some relaxation and stress free scenery.
eyecatcher

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:You've just poured concrete on un-chipped, unpainted, soft, cheap mean and nasty grade 3 steel and you expect it to hold up concrete and the weight of people.

Got to agree with RR here. That's sloppy work, which I'm not used too when reading your building stories.
At the very least, you should have cleaned up the welds and give it a good coat of primer.
There's a good amount of water that went inside the steel beams and between your supports and the beams.
That's all going to rust very fast and will give you lots of problems over time. Hope not, but wouldn't bet on it.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story