Carefree El Cheapo build (Thai style be warned graphic)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Carefree El Cheapo build (Thai style be warned graphic)

Postby pipoz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:50 am

LilBudda wrote:Sorry forgot to say also most of the tiles in my house are porcelain and seem to chip very easily along the edge when cutting. Roger I try to not let any thai's use any of my tools, they either go missing or get broken. Lost about 30,000 baht in damaged or stolen tools already I figure at least.

How are you trying to cut your porcelain tiles? With what?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby LilBudda » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm

pipoz

I've got an angle grinder with diamond blade - don't like it.
I've got a manual tile cutting machine that scores the tiles, pretty expensive one (5,000 baht i think) - don't like it.
LilBudda

Postby gliffaes » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:27 am

pipoz wrote:
LilBudda wrote:Sorry forgot to say also most of the tiles in my house are porcelain and seem to chip very easily along the edge when cutting. Roger I try to not let any thai's use any of my tools, they either go missing or get broken. Lost about 30,000 baht in damaged or stolen tools already I figure at least.

pipoz

The thing you need most is a light delicate touch with the angle grinder, I only use the grinder for awkward cuts, 99% I use the tile cutters with a rotary very small wheel size of a dime I guess.
For awkward cuts you can score the tile with the wheel of the normal tile cutter first but cut it with the grinder on its OUTER edge of the cut, the tile will naturally chip down the cut nice and clean if your'e careful.
I use a slotted cutting blade and NO pressure at all when cutting, I cut them on a rag or something soft to stop any bouncing about.
Any chips you do get then you can also sand down the cut edge with some 100 grit carbide paper.
The rotary wheel cutters are like u said about 5 k
The table cutters can be had from BOONTHAVORN.
The Thai method of using any tools is BRUTE FORCE and dont forget with electrical tools to also leave them out when it rains!!
gliffaes

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:38 am

O.K. so now we know what the problem is. Chipping of the face when cutting tiles like that would be a bit like cutting laminated wood, you have to make sure you are cutting down into the face with a very fine blade as the teeth or cutting edge tends to tear the face away as it comes out of the material.
Mike Judd

Postby Klondyke » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Very few use this machine:
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (2.42 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Klondyke

Postby pipoz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Klondyke wrote:Very few use this machine:
No I wouldn't

Porcelain tiles tend to Snap, so when cutting them to size, it is best to scribe the back of them first, then snap them, much like you do with float glass

This link might be of interest http://www.granitifiandre.com/communication/video/

Refer Max Case: Handling Cutting and Holes

pipoz
pipoz

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 am

pipoz wrote:
No I wouldn't

Porcelain tiles tend to Snap, so when cutting them to size, it is best to scribe the back of them first, then snap them, much like you do with float glass

This link might be of interest http://www.granitifiandre.com/communication/video/

pipoz

Lay off that beer Pipoz :lol: , why on earth would you cut the "back" side of a tile?? you cut the front glazed face of a porcelain tile and the cutter shown above is perfect for doing this fast and cleanly.
gliffaes

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:21 am

gliffaes wrote:
pipoz wrote:
No I wouldn't

pipoz

Lay off that beer Pipoz :lol: , why on earth would you cut the "back" side of a tile?? you cut the front glazed face of a porcelain tile and the cutter shown above is perfect for doing this fast and cleanly.

Every Tiler I 've ever seen uses those tile cutters to cut their tiles ,big or small. I suppose the quality of the scoring wheel depends on the price.
Mike Judd

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Ive just got a few things left to do now on the maids house, not much, I have connected all the water supplies and built a manhole to access all the pipework in from the road where it splits off to the various houses. cast a concrete slab to cover it as its 34inches square and about 2 feet deep.
Their house is fully functioning in the water dept with toilet shower sink washing machine etc
Got 30 tons of stone delivered today to be spread tomorrow and also spread some 1inch gravel on various walkways.
Am getting a Aluminium door next week for the main entrance and got to slop some concrete in the road for the rainy season as we get a river down there when it rains and the road is literally being washed away.
Im back to the Uk for 7 weeks on August the 3rd.
Photos in the next few days
gliffaes

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:09 am

IMG_0213.JPG
Part of the access in before getting the road base.
IMG_0213.JPG
Part of the access in before getting the road base.
IMG_0214.JPG
All those workers, only about 3 did anything.
I had the same problem with access on my land every time it rained, 150 mts to the house from the road, so I managed to get the local Gov to bring truck loads of old road base in, ( Through relatives of course ) Tea money every truck . But it was far cheaper then concrete and did a great job. It's all stone mixed with bitumen which once spread out goes hard so trucks or any vehicles have no problem getting in with materials.
Mike Judd

Postby gliffaes » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Its not my road its the councils but rather than wait forever for them to do anything and then do it badly Ill pour concrete in this gulley as water is making it deeper and deeper..........it also fills my lake nicely until i divert when full.
Not the govt supplied water line on left buried "really" deeply
Attachments
road.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Final update for a while am back to the Uk for 7 weeks
Spent the last week or so tidying up around the house, building an inspection chamber over the water connections where the mains water comes onto our land then is split intot he maids house and the guesthouse , has a few t joints and stop cocks inside, then cast an 90cm2 lid for it.
Put down about 50 tons of stone to level things up.
A front door will be going into the maid s house ina few days closing up the front totally
The staff................ well no surprise they left today.
I had to go to Bangkok for 3 days and whilst I was away they came into my house took out my laptop and spent those 3 days looking at BURMA videos on you tube.
They have almost no knowledge of computers and dint know how to turn it off, they finally managed it somehow but when I booted it on it said "error not shutdown properly" so i knew they had used it.
A quick glance at the internet history showed it had gone on 4 hours after Id left and had been on for almost 3 days right thru to 3-4am in the morning.
Today confronted them on it asking if they thought this was how they should behave....no comment except to say well leave tonight. I told em no thanks you can go now 12 noon.
We owed them £240 but gave them £40 and said we arent paying them anything else period. They agreed to give us a months notice at the start or lose their salary....so tough they lost it.
Attachments
house new (1)-web.jpg
house new (2)-web.jpg
house new (6)-web.jpg
house new (4)-web.jpg
house new (5)-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby ArturoBurdin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:08 pm

In this modern and high technology world which is also called the “information era”. There is no doubt that people now want to own the life that is safe and free and do the thing that they like and want to do. And usually such kind of life is not so easy to own for some people and as they are monitored by some device. If so the satellite isolator can be your good assistant.

<Would this poster please contact administration http://www.coolthaihouse.com/contact-page/ - mod>
ArturoBurdin

Postby Jack&Amy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:25 pm

And I thought I needed THERAPY.......what was the last post all about?
Jack&Amy

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:26 pm

ArturoBurdin wrote:<Would this poster please contact administration http://www.coolthaihouse.com/contact-page/ - mod>

I think that posters of spam don't return at a later date to view their postings. This one can't even read / write English.

<This one can obviously either write English[ish] or at least copy/paste ... indications of a sentient capability :) - mod>
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story