New build. Udon Thani

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

New build. Udon Thani

Postby Galee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 pm

I think it must be about 3 years I've been a member on here. After quite a few hiccups, today, we finally started the build of our house.

Initially we bought a nice plot of land just off the Sakhon Nakon road. Quite happy with it for about 18 months until the land across the road was sold and they started to build a great big rice warehouse there. We decided we couldn't live there and sold the land, for a loss. I must be the only person who has bought land recently who has lost money on the deal. :(

We then found another nice plot, just over 1 Rai, which we bought. It was completely over grown so we had it cleared. First mistake. I should have left it as it was. For the past 6 months I've been going back once a week to try and keep the jungle back. Second mistake was listening to the wife when she said she wanted the land raised, but that's another story.

We contacted a builder who was recommended by a friend. Showed him my plans and agreed a price for his labour and thought that was it until the start of the build. Wrong. About 2 months ago we tried to arrange a couple of meetings with him. Each time he was a 'no show', so we got rid. My wife knew another builder, showed him our plans. After 3 weeks of nothing decided we couldn't trust this one either. By this time, late October I was thinking we would have to delay the start. Another friend recommended his builder. He's done a good job on his house and fortunately he could start when we wanted.

Earlier this week we had a pre-build meeting on site and decided to bring the start forward a few weeks, so we started today.

Our builder said he wanted on-site today a load of poles and some nails? The poles arrived, wrong size, but he knew where to get some quickly and he started to put up a one rail fence around the build site. I'm completely dumfounded as to what he's doing but let him get on with it. After the fence is completed we agree a reference point for one corner of the house. He then measures across the the road to the neighbours wall at either end of our house to make sure its square to the road. He then proceeds to bang in nails into the fence he has constructed. Each nail represents the distance between proposed concrete pillars. Fishing line is strung across the site after carefully making sure they were at 90 degrees to the front of the house and attached to the nails. The same was done across the plot. Where the lines crossed a plumb bob was used to locate the exact position of where each pile is to go. All in all I was impressed at the ingenuity of how it was done.

Tomorrow were off to buy the materials for the labourers hut. I'm off to the UK for a couple of weeks so the wife has been left to sort out the temporary electric supply and any other small problems in readiness for the proper start on my return.
Galee

Re: New build. Udon Thani

Postby Galee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Plot before clearing

Galee

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Galee,
May I be the first to congratulate you and wish you good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Galee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Plot after clearance.

Galee

Postby Galee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks Roger. :D
Galee

Postby pipoz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi Galee and congradulations on starting a build in Udon Thani

I too have bought 2 Rai in Udon Thani, on the South East side and am about too build next year.

I am not sure you are, but I am down off Mittraphap Road towards the Si Thani Golf Forest and have posted under CONSTRUCTION - Land "Current Land Prices around Mueang Udon Thani". Currently, just in Design Phase at present, so looking around at materailas and getting prices, whilst selecting a fw items like Roof Tiles/Colours and where I will buy them from, so been searching around for a reasonable Hardware Store to deal through.

Dont know who you are planning to but your basic building materials from, but I have eventually found a relibale Hardware Store guy (for all my front fence anr foundation materials) about 2 1/2 kms down from the Main Ring Road on Mittraphap Road (Heading out of Town), on the opposite side of the road to Soi Ruam Chai . His prices delivered to site are straight up and reasonable

Attached is a Picture of my tempoary hut for the workers (next Year) and the toilet to the right side. The Hut and Toilet cost me all up about TB40,000 to build

Good luck

pipoz
Attachments
P1.jpg
pipoz

Postby Galee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Thank you for the tip pipoz. I'll check them out but as per my PM I think I'm pretty much decided on my supplier.

That's a fancy hut your builders have. I'm thinking more of a tin shack for mine. :D
Galee

Postby pipoz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Galee wrote:Thank you for the tip pipoz. I'll check them out but as per my PM I think I'm pretty much decided on my supplier.

That's a fancy hut your builders have. I'm thinking more of a tin shack for mine. :D

Actually, I didn't build it for the workers, I built it for the TG and her Dad, so she and the family could sit on the land, as opposed to being stuck in there house all day. Their house in only 3Kms up the road, and they enjoy getting out of it.

He used to have 10 Rai not far from my/her land, and still have some family friends close by. Unfortunately he sold his 10 Rai (very cheap) during hard times some five years back. They enjoy sitting there and having a BBQ and Beer, and so do I, when I visit.

I would be interested in knowing where you buy your building materials and at what prices, if your Supplier is anywhere close to me

Galee: Have you got power (pole & meter) onto you land yet ?

Regards

pipoz
Last edited by pipoz on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pipoz

Postby unclezillion » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to your build.
unclezillion

Postby Galee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:38 pm

pipoz wrote:I would be interested in knowing where you buy your building materials and at what prices, if your Supplier is anywhere close to me

Galee: Have you got power (pole & meter) onto you land yet ?

At the moment I'm intending to use the building supplier just up the road from the old Big C. (going into town)

Regarding the electric. Wife dealing with this next week. There is a pole across the road from the plot. They can provide a temporary supply to the pole in next doors garden or if needs must, attach to one of the trees at the front. The permanent supply will be UG. I hate OH supplies. They look ugly.
Galee

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Nice to see you have started your build.

I'm also looking forward to it.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:26 am

Best idea to go for the temporally electric supply, We spent a long long time getting the permanent Pole and supply put in, many visits and "nod nod wink, wink" suggestions which were vigorously rejected by my Partner before we finally got it. This was south of Khon Kaen but it might be different in Udon. ? I went for the U.G. method as well to the house, don't like all those poles stuck up on the land. Don't forget to put your future Telephone line in as well as the power. Good luck !
Mike Judd

Postby Galee » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Here's the layout I designed. A simple U-shaped bungalow.

The wording isn't correct. Where it says 'terrace', that will be a covered sala. Where it says 'garden', that will be the patio with a raised walled garden in the middle. The patio will be almost the same level as the floor, plus 1mtr above ground level. Not the plus 0.60 on the plan. The steps in the diagram leading down to the garden are not required. The door into the TV room is not needed. A double glass door will be fitted between the TV room and the dinning area. (wife's idea).
A/C only fitted to the rooms on the right of the 'U'.
It's designed to have minimum sun on exposed walls. The car port protects the kitchen and the hallway protects the bedrooms to a certain extent. The car port is on the south side of the build.
Including car port and sala just over 200sqm.
Galee

Postby pipoz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi Galee

Would appreciate it, if when you get around to applying for your Building Permit, you could let me know where to go in Udon Thani (Department name) and what level of information/drawings one has to submit to that Department in order to get the Building Permit, plus the indicative Fee cost.

Also do you know if one has to apply for a Building Permit just to build the Front Fence and or a Boundary Wall to adjoining property (not for the house)?

Regards

Pipoz
pipoz

Postby Galee » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Building permit? What's that. :D

I have been told, rightly or wrongly, that a permit is only needed if you are inside the city limits. If outside it's not required. I'll ask again. If I've been told wrong I'll apply retrospectively.
Galee

Next

Return to Your Building Story