Peter M: Brain storming and a bad contractor

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Peter M: Brain storming and a bad contractor

Postby dozer » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:00 pm

from the continuing tales of Peter M, entered as a blog comment....

Yes, my contractor is a sneaky bastard. He was ready to finish the job in two days and by chance I had a friend in the biz come and inspect the place. He pointed out major errors in the construction. From concrete work to wall siding.

For me to fire the guy outright would have ended costing me alot. So last week, I finally had a brain storm and had my lawyer draw up a contract where by in order for the final payment to be delivered, he must rectify everything within 2 weeks. If he fails to abide by the agreement, I can legally ask him for my money back. (Fat chance, but why not...he signed the paper! It was a great moment, my contractor sandwiched in between two legal professionals a 3rd party contractor pointing out the shoddy work and me in the corner just smiling.

If anyone needs a good lawyer...and I say this because without one ...life and or business in this country can be extremely difficult. Laymen respect the authority and power of lawyers if nothing else. And if you have a contract drawn up by a lawyer...you wield alot of power.
dozer
Site Admin

Return to Your Building Story