Building in rural Chonburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in rural Chonburi

Postby geordie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:27 am

Not small then ? :wink: its lack of perspective if there was a truck motorbike person in the photo the true size becomes clear because its sat on its own its dificult to gauge the price was damm good for the size i think The MIL build worked out at half yours but "Thai style" basic build no tower or well no piles basic corugated roof only half a roof half covered by old house ? And materials have gone balistic since be nice to hear anything caused grief or you would change :mrgreen: next time :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Rick Bradford » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:53 am

To be honest, I think the major problems were caused by my own ignorance of the building process, leading to my not knowing whether the builder was doing things right.

I mean, in the West, if you decide to design and build your own home, you'll be relying on a lot of advice to avoid making basic mistakes, as well as building codes that have to be adhered to.

In Thailand, it's just build it and see if it stands up. Also, you face the additional issues of: communication problems, non-availability of some products, and the locals' unfamiliarity with some building techniques.

I think it is important to be onsite as much as possible -- not just to nip any follies in the bud, but to create a presence and an air of authority and ownership. That's not easy when you know as little about building as I did.

Choosing the right builder is important -- there is always pressure to employ "the family", which may not always be the best solution.

I was lucky; the builder is the or-bor-tor, doesn't drink at all, and I was able to see a previous house he had built, which gave me some confidence to go ahead with him.

He didn't let me down -- the only complaints I have are the inordinate amount of time he took, and the filthy state he left the place in.

Now all I have to do is complete the clean-up before the monks come in for their final judgement next month....... :?
Rick Bradford

Postby MGV12 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Good to see your update ... the house looks really good and your story will be familiar to many and a caution to those starting or planning.

Thanks for taking the time.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Rick,
Nice house. Well done. Good to see a result.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Makmak456 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for the follow up post. Seems that way too many don't do that and your/we are left with a WTF happened.
Mark
Makmak456

Previous

Return to Your Building Story