Our house build in Hua Hin

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our house build in Hua Hin

Postby Rick B » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:32 am

Absolutely gorgeous house. Congrats on a fantastic build. I hope you and your family enjoy it for many years to come. And I really LIKE the green wall. I think it livens up the room. Houses with one color throughout are simply boring.
Rick B

Postby elgato » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:22 am

One word summation: BEAUTIFUL!
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:51 am

I agree, really beautiful finished house. Especially as it's basically the same designed U shape as I'am building, although a lot slower then you. I might have missed it in the read, but I take it that there's no Air-Con with ceiling fans instead. That's what I am going for plus the two vented gables.
I have 9 mt between the two wings to put the pool so still have to decide on how much for the width of the pool and how much for the surrounds, maybe 3mt ---3 mt--3mt ,plenty of time to decide. Having only had one pool built before and most of the pools in Oz are Shot-crete all in one go, I was wondering if any have leaking problems at the join between slab and walls. Any info from members on that ?
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 am

Mike there is a rubber strip looks like a figure 8 but elongated this gets cast into the slab to seal the walls to the slab its been mentioned a couple of times in pool threads
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks Geordie, ! I'll have a look. They use the same method for in ground water tanks I suppose.? Any comments on my proposed drain grid (Similar to the one used in wet sides swim pools) all around the house under the drop off point from the roof, which then empties into the in ground tank, as an alternative to gutters and lots of down pipes (Which usually over flow in down pours) to another large pipe in the ground running to the tank.? Any negative thoughts on that ? I was thinking of having the pool sides raised up enough for a seat and to stop ground water entering. Lots of time to go before I get to that.
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:24 pm

The first thought is what will you use the water for after it has washed all the acumulated dirt
out of the pipes into the tanks The amount of dirt and dust that acumulates over there you will be cleaning the tank regular I think it was Robert K who had the local ironworker make up a similar grid for drainage on his project its really a case of what you want i prefer gutters and downpipes recycle the water at her mum,s house the water is in three huge concrete jars and is used as drinking water but a house in somwhere like Bkk or near an indistrial zone you would not want to be drinking it RR got around the down pipe problem by casting them into his colums which is a really neat way of hiding them the guttering if it leaks or runs over regular should simply put have been bigger :? although there will be ocasion,s when it just cannot cope they should be the exception rather than the rule an alternative if you are using the water for car washing ect is put in a settlement tank before the main i also prefer above ground because i am getting mean in my old age :lol: :lol: and water runs downhill so above ground is easier to re-use underground you will need a pump
i am still trying to remember where i can find the water stop rubber :mrgreen: for you but yes its used on tanks cellars pools to seal the join in the concrete
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:14 am

Well I have lots of time to mull over how I do it, with over 74mts of gutters, it will need a lot of down pipes to work properly (I have seen enough houses with too few down pipes, where you end up with sagging gutters) I would need about 12 with all the return angles, placed where there is a wall obviously. I will only be using the water for washing /flushing and unless I put in a proper water purifying system, all the drinking and cooking water will be bottled. To get any pressure you need "Head" from your tank even if they are above ground, so a pump is required anyway. That's why I thought to stick it in the ground out of the way being supplied by a pipe in ground also, whether from gutters or the drain way. Sumps that can be cleaned out easily work O.K. in the system I have here in Oz for the garden with a tank being fed from the garage roof and surrounding concrete up at the top of my land. I have another tank along side the house from the roof, which supplies the laundry and W.C. there. That has a filter system and pump because of the dirt that you get on roofs over time. Also a first flow diversion pipe which gets emptied when needed. There is plenty of" City water" but after the last drought they used that as an excuse to put up the bills over and over. So every one is putting in Tanks to cut down on that expense. You know what Thais are like for washing clothes, I have three of them here, (2 women) and they take your shirt off as you walk by to put in the washing machine.
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 am

Sonds like your proposal will work better for you with a tank in the ground next decision how big as its definately suprising how much water you can have off ten min,s of rain and even a small roof

I know what you are saying about the laundry my misus has robbed me in the shower :( of my clean clothes taken in there to get dressed and also my towels that i had hoped to get dried with the good news is in the uk with an automatic machine it,s not so easy so once a day it gets fired up and the drying is more difficult but she still insists on air dry instead of the tumble drier we have
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:03 pm

I've moved back to my post" Slow build Between Khon Kaen and Kosumpisi" O.K.
Mike Judd

Postby Hezze » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 am

Looking into options for a house build in Hua Hin. Interested in your builders contact info. <personal contact details removed - mod>
Hezze

Postby CDNinKS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Sent you a PM Hezze
CDNinKS

Postby CDNinKS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi Mike,

thanks for the comments, we are very happy with the house but there are always thing that I might do differently if I was to do it again. Probably would steal a bit of room from the second bedroom to make my office a tad bigger. Missus would have liked the living room a bit bigger and said she would have been ok with the master bedroom a bit smaller. All minor things really.

We do have a/c in the 2 bedrooms as well as one 24,000 btu unit for the living/dining/kitchen area. Don't use the large one very much as we have the patio doors open to the pool area during the day and the breeze keeps it pleasant enough.

We have a 3.5 meter (wide) pool which left about 2 meters around the sides. it is fine for walking around but if you add a lounge chair it is a bit tight. I had just over 7 meters so if you have 9 and do a 3.5 or even 4 meter wide pool you should be fine.

Good luck with your build
CDNinKS

Postby Hezze » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 pm

Got your PM. Thank's! Lovely house!
I am currently working offshore outside Norway. Will not be in Hua Hin for some time. Bringing the wife and kids to visit grandparents in Sweden while I work. Guessing I'll be home in May.
Got 3 rai just west of town but not yet land filled so I'm just starting my research.
Henrik
Hezze

Postby CDNinKS » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm

OK Henrik, I will be in Hua Hin in May so drop me a line then and I can set you up with the builder.
Cheers
CDNinKS

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks ! You will see from my posts (Slow build between Kosumpisi and Khon Kaen) that it's a similar shape. I have seen so many houses in my time around the world apart from the two that I built from scratch. The first one 50 yrs ago was very very restricted by lack of money mainly through having four kids to support, and the second had to be three storey squashed in-between other houses. So this time in the L.O.S. with plenty of land 5 rai, I wanted to make use of every breeze from what ever direction in all the rooms as much as possible. The only shape that would better the U would possibly be H shape, but that would require a bit more width to my land ,which I didn't have at the position chosen for it's distance from the main road to not hear the mainly Sugar cane trucks belting past in all hours. As the pool will be later on , I will have plenty of time to decide on it's width with 9 mts to play with. My roof is all finished with 1 mt overhangs all around, so once again time to decide when I experience a heavy downpour to either go for the normal guttering and down pipes, of which I would need 12 at least, or my idea ? of drain and grates all around under the drop off running to a large under ground tank, with several small sumps along the way at changes of direction to catch some of the dirt, plus some sort of water filter before it gets to the house itself via a flow pump . I think I will have to rely on this rain water for our washing purposes as the well water we use along the road at our old house is very salty. Drinking and cooking water so far has always been bottled.
Mike Judd

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story