Our house project Phitsanulok

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Our house project Phitsanulok

Postby Ians » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:06 pm

We have finally started our project. The land was purchased in Oct 2008 just prior to heading back to Aust so my wife could attended university in Sydney.
We are now back after 4 years and into the bulding phase, the house was designed by myself and drawn up by my architect brother-in-law and has been through a few revisions to be to the point we are happy with. Originally it was going to be slab foundation or footings with load bearing wall using Serene block from Chiang Mai- first problem with local builders, "load bearing walls" we don't know anything about building like that and we have to build on piles etc etc, read- "we can't do / don't want the job if we have to do it your way", after agonising for a week or so I relented and decided to do it the way people are happy with, so piles, columms infilled with a cavity wall of red brick and render, post tensioned slabs and reinforced topping, can't say that I am unhappy with the decision as we have been lucky in finding a professional building contractor looking for a job to keep his people in work, they have been very helpful with info, ideas and input.
We stumbled across them after seeing a nice looking house being build and asked who the builder was, got a phone number, called them, had a meeting the next morning, had an itemised quote 5 days later, had a further 2 meeting over about 5 days, signed a contract 2 days later and work started the next morning (even before the contract was signed).

The builder is quite happy for us to delete items from the bill of materials which we want to supply, so we have elected at the moment to supply most of the PC items, leaving them with the major building materials, this is going to save us a considerable amount of Baht, we can shop and bargain for the best prices. It reduces the build cost as we can buy better than the standard prices they used and it also reflects a saving in less margin added to the costings.

It also helps that my wife speaks and understands English very well so I can get across my idea's and wants with the builders and suppliers - like the window and door manufactures, it is still a little frustrating as naturally here expertise in building terminology is undergoing a fairly steep learning curve especially translating English terminology to Thai terminology, but we are getting there.

I intend to post pictures here as the project proceeds as well as in the forum gallery which has already been started, but as it is still early days I will forgo pic's here at the moment and wait till we get a bit further into the build.
Ians

Re: Our house project Phitsanulok

Postby MGV12 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Nice to see another build story commencing ... shame you were thwarted in your original plan but at least things are under-way.

Good luck and here's hoping all goes well from now on.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Yes indeed good to see another house started.

Do like the wide columns. Are the windows above the main entrance functional?

Seems the trick here is to stay flexible to survive and so you are on the right track.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Ians » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks for the encouragement, yep early days but have confidence in a good outcome, as I said very professional builders, normally they build major industrial complexes, resorts etc so have very a good team of workers.
BKKBILL- the windows are not functional - it would be nice to connect it to the main roof and use it as a cooling tower but that's not practical.
Ians

Postby Ians » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Finally our project seems to be going somewhere, after driving piles and digging for the pile caps, today we poured the first concrete - not that exciting but at least it seems like progress.
Attachments
Aicon site office.jpg
our on-site fully fitted air-con site office - such luxury.
Ians

Postby Ians » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:53 pm

More pics.
Attachments
The first pilecap footing being vibrated.jpg
The first pilecap footing finished
the concrete transfer equipment in progress.jpg
Concrete transfer equipment in action
Pile cap reo'.jpg
Pile cap reo.
Concrete transfer equipment.jpg
Concrete transfer equipment
firts load of concrete arrives.jpg
First load of concrete arrives
Ians

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Ians wrote:Finally our project seems to be going somewhere, after driving piles and digging for the pile caps, today we poured the first concrete - not that exciting but at least it seems like progress.

That is a very impressive site office indeed, the first professional one I have seen here, but thats for the builder I assume, not for the workers to sleep at night?
Anyways, looks like everything is off to a professional start, congratulations....
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Ians » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:28 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
Ians wrote:Finally our project seems to be going somewhere, after driving piles and digging for the pile caps, today we poured the first concrete - not that exciting but at least it seems like progress.

That is a very impressive site office indeed, the first professional one I have seen here, but thats for the builder I assume, not for the workers to sleep at night?
Anyways, looks like everything is off to a professional start, congratulations....

Actually, the builder has told everyone it's for me so I have some where comfortable to relax when I visit site, the fridge is fully stocked with water - he didn't take up the hint I dropped about cold beer. :)
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Ians wrote:
Actually, the builder has told everyone it's for me so I have some where comfortable to relax when I visit site, the fridge is fully stocked with water - he didn't take up the hint I dropped about cold beer. :)

Whatever gave you the idea that those involved with building houses here [or indeed anywhere] would be interested in alcohol?

If they don't have any beer in the fridge I'm not sure I would trust them :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Ians » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 am

Work continues, in between rain and now stopped for Songkran.
Only posting the odd photo as its all been done before and I don't think its all that exciting at this stage. :lol:
Attachments
Office.jpg
Office.jpg (7.5 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
All hands on board.jpg
All hands on board.jpg (10.71 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
everyone busy.jpg
everyone busy.jpg (7.68 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Finally back to ground level.jpg
Finally back to ground level.jpg (5.79 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Ground beam assembly.jpg
Ground beam assembly.jpg (6.25 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Ians

Postby geordie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Ians do not worry about the pictures having been done before this is your build and your pictures so they have not been seen by usand any visitors to the site having a casual glance may as a result be a member of the forum next week every build is different so all pictures are apreciated and it keeps us up to date with where you are at with the build in a AT A GLANCE FASSION so the more the merrier and it saves typing :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Ians » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Once construction becomes a little more serious I intend to post a lot more photo's. Hopefully this will be very soon.
Ians

Postby Ians » Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm

We are nearly at the point of pouring concrete for the ground beams, there has been some delays with Songkran and the intermittent rain we have been experiencing - but fingers crossed now for a clear run. Today there was 14 workers onsite pushing to catch up with the schedule.
Attachments
steelwork.jpg
steelwork.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
view or reinforcing steel with stand-offs attached.jpg
view or reinforcing steel with stand-offs attached.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
vent pipe thru' the beams.jpg
vent pipe thru' the beams.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
washing sand and mud off the reinforcing.jpg
washing sand and mud off the reinforcing.jpg (10.54 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
Ians

Postby Ians » Wed May 04, 2011 1:13 pm

First concrete placed today in the ground beams, a staff of 20 to get it under way which includes the site foreman and the engineer. Once the job is underway the foreman and the engineer leave to visit another site close by.

Seems we are now really staring the build programme and there will be something to show instead of it all buried below ground level.
Attachments
P1100016.jpg
The concrrete arrives 0830 with everyone ready to start
P1100020.jpg
The First bucket of concrete into the beam
P1100023.jpg
The bucket brigade in full swing
P1100030.jpg
All hands on deck - a crew of 18 people today
P1100029.jpg
The second concrete truck arrives - many sighs from the staff - no rest between trucks and it's hot about 38C
Ians

Postby Ians » Sun May 29, 2011 8:43 pm

After what seems like ages, we now have something to show. To this stage of the project it has seemed like it wasn’t going anywhere but all good things take time - or so they say. To be, fair the ground beam is very complex as well as being extensive with a lot columns, the site access is difficult – everything has to be carried in from the road or from the land opposite used for storage.

The ground beams are finished, as are the columns, the slab for garage will be poured in the next few days. The termite guy has been and installed the under-floor pipework.
The plumber turned up site Friday ready to start as did the pre-cast floor slabs. Over the weekend all the plumbing went in and the majority of pre-cast slabs have been positioned. Next stage will be pouring the floor topping and the roofers are to start early June.

Have attached some general photo's which will be 4 seperate postings.
Attachments
P1100219.JPG
P1100220.JPG
P1100221.JPG
P1100222.JPG
P1100226.JPG
Last edited by Ians on Sun May 29, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ians

Next

Return to Your Building Story