House "Mamiau" close to Sakeaw

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House "Mamiau" close to Sakeaw

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Maseratimartin wrote: at Centara Grand Mirrage I enjoyed the pool and waterpark similar area so much with my family that we bought a condo at "The Maledives" project.

Congratulations. Where is that? North Pattaya, South ..... ?
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:13 am

@ Fred:

Thanks!
It says Moo12, Soi Thepprasit 9, Thepprasit Road, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi

Somewhere Jomtien!

They call it Laguna Beach Resort "The Maledives".
We bought in Block F ground floor directly at the pool beach :)
The only work what I will do on this condo once it is handled over is a modification on the terrasse/balkony reiling...cut in a door (private pool access)!

Some time before I was looking at the plans and that time the not so attractive blocks were on offer.
The last Block and what confirms me the most attractive block F just opened up.
We were shopping central Pattaya and saw their presentation and then one thing followed the other and we bought.
Owner will be our smal monkey ...thai ownership...as it saved about 200000bath.
Expensive shopping tour...but especially my parents are very happy and will most propably spend more time there than me what makes it worth for me ;)
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:44 am

Maseratimartin wrote:Somewhere Jomtien!

I found it. It looks good.
Maseratimartin wrote:The only work what I will do on this condo once it is handled over is a modification on the terrasse/balkony reiling...cut in a door (private pool access)!

Make sure it's invisible because I'm sure it's not allowed in your contract.
Maseratimartin wrote:but especially my parents are very happy and will most propably spend more time there than me what makes it worth for me ;)

And if you ever plan to rent it for short stays let me know because now and again I have friends from Europe who want to spend a week in Jomtien.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:31 pm

.... are you ignoring us or are you letting your house become derelict while you laze around on the beach? :D
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Fred,
how do I start to explain?
We were in LOS over Christmas ...
DSCN0790.JPG
Bali style pyramid build at Jomtien beach

...and also a lot happened at the house but busy as usual I let my wife take charge of photo shooting! :shock:
Yes, and when the memory of your phone is full it just makes no sense to shoot more as ...sorry cannot finish the sentense as tears are blurring my view :twisted:

Last trip was too good to be truth and so something had to go wrong :cry:

After a beach holiday and releasing the stress from work we drove home and finally stayed in the future guest house.
Water was still used in thai tradional way with barrels and buckets wherever needed.
Reason for this was that the basement under the alfresco zone still does not have a door and before I install the water pump (Hitachi stainless tank) I want to make sure it does also stay there.
The door was installed the last day of the trip and so the waterpump installation will shift to April.
But this was no issue...we had space after living before in a 3x3m room at mother in laws house. :D

Tasks I planed to finish:
- Fix the horrible job of filling the gypsum cardboard of the eaves on guest house from last trip -> Done and painted!
- Paint the exterior walls of guest house -> Done in white and one layer as a second will follow at the end when all is finished!
Love the contrast of the green windows with the white walls (This actually I saw and needed to have after I saw it on your build Fred!)

Tasks what were done additional:
- Walkpath around thai kitchen & alfresco house + extention in rear where the water tanks will be placed.
- Water tank purchased and placed (2000l) later a second one will follow.
- Door for basement under alfresco. It was hard to get somebody to weld us a door when all are in party mood between Chrismas and New Year!
I do not like the look and it will sure be replaced later by something better but for the moment it will serve the need!
- Some more walk paths around guest house ...now complete!
- A retaining wall in the rear of main house for later walk path. We have some drop in level there and that the water from the roof will not wash away the soil a wall was needed.
- Extension for future master bath for future outside shower. Ah...here I have a photo
20131225_133717.jpg

Farang power was needed to cut the rebar :wink:
- Main House was rendered on outside and some fixing on thai/alfresco house (now completed in and outside).
- Found a new guy for shera and gypsum works and he will do all outside works during next trip!
- Concrete slab for carport done
- Septic and grey water tank for Main house done
- Some clean up...
- Kids pool installed, filled and tested...
20131225_115822.jpg

Yes my wife and I were very surprise what all can be done if you do not expect too much to happen; and all in 10 days!

In April we will again fly over and plan is...:
- Rest work on interior walls main house
- Electric and water main house
- Set up water pump
- Rendering complete main house inside
- All shera and gypsum works outside (guest house done, so thai/alfresco house and main house)
- Maybe tiling works...let's see how much time is left. Only floors will be done by thai labor...walls only by myself after some bad experience!

Sorry for not being able and showing more photos, but I will make sure that I get some later on!
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks for the comprehensive update. I love the swimming pool especially with the usual plastic debris one finds floating in the waters of Thailand.
Tell your wife I'm disappointed in her photographic efforts and if she doesn't improve her work I'll be paying her a visit in Jomtien ..... I have your address. :lol:
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 am

:D good recognized the ..."thai plastic debris"!

And I will sure deliver your warning to my wife...by the way 25-27April we are at the same address...don't tell you know it from me :wink:
You could not imagine the look in my face when I saw the missery!
And yes we had a camera always with us, but it is faster to use the phone nowadays...just in between the important chit chat phone calls... baaah.
Maseratimartin

Postby Maseratimartin » Tue May 06, 2014 3:44 pm

OK, Eastern holidays home in Thailand and things proceed slow but now seems like steady and to my satisfaction.
We have a builder what up to date shows quality work, is himself part of the working team and does not ask any money in advance...always according to progress.
And if it is not funny, the team he provided for rendering the interior walls caused for some interesting discussions...
Upfront, this team came and showed perfect performance...same did not ask for any money in advance.
The same day they started, family and some "friends" showed up and reported that this team are bad people and take money and disapear and we should be carefull... The warnings went to an extend that at the 3rd day even police and the district police guy showed up and had some discussion between involved parties. Yes, he must have done something wrong...but I just told or let my wife translate that I give a sh.. what he did and that it is not of my business. He does a nice job and still did not ask for a cent. And if they start like this they should directly take the rest of "the" family as they are not better and that I paid my toll there trying to be nice... :twisted:
The team meanwhile finished the complete house (interior) and was paid as agreed...if it would always work this way :roll:
DSCN0926.JPG

I do not have any closeups of the rendering but the photo just to show some progress.
Outside the roof overhangs will be done in shera board stripes and areas like terrasse or front porch in gypsum board (green).
Here the thai kitchen and alfresco building.
DSCN0925.JPG

Here a photo from the rear where we already last visist put a small retaining wall in place. This should just avoid the soil washing away. Footings, beam, double block filled with mesh and concrete...it will hold for what it is.
DSCN0900.JPG

Another photo of the future outside shower. A small task but to pour the concrete but important so that we can do the rest next visist.
DSCN0897.JPG

To the right is a Mango tree with very tasty fruits...so tasty that my wife could not stay away and on the first day got bitten by a green viper. Yes, security system works fine! 3 trips to the hospital and some injections...what can I say, I'm still married :wink:

As eastern this year fell directly on Sonkran I was the first week alone on site...ok, and my snake bite survivor and daughter. This and the heat...I was happy that the jobs were all under the roof.
Pulling the cables at the thai kitchen building, same in the main house after setting the switch boxes and pipes...all what need to be done so that they can close the ceilings and render the walls.
DSCN0888.JPG

Further some interior walls needed to be finished or still build complete. 60 Q-Con blocks had to be ordered...good calculated.
Here some cement decor blocks inserted in the wall to the walk-in closet...for ventilation:
DSCN0889.JPG

To be continued...
Maseratimartin

Postby Maseratimartin » Tue May 06, 2014 4:23 pm

OK, what happened else...

This time water was an issue. That we had water every day... it cost us a bottle of whiskey and some tip...amazing Thailand.
This triggered again the water well. First attempt handled by mother in law was a fail as it ended up only 10m deep and a 2" steel pipe...not to discuss what pump they wanted to use.
Quotes this time for a deep well (at least 30m) and at least 4" pipe ranged from 30000bath without material up to 90000bath... :shock:
Ok, I ordered pipes confirmed the 30000bath guy...and then...and then...and then...when we called him he was in hospital. Sonkran has its victims. :(

Due to it taking 1 week till we got the first teams working we also had to delay the tiling of thai kitchen, alfresco area...and some smaller jobs.
Granit guy for thai kitchen counter tops was also not able to cut before end of trip...
Ok, at least we lined important jobs up for the next trip.

Another job was to finally design from where to bring in the power supply and digg in the pipes.
Aunty send her sun over after we asked her if she knew somebody to help me digging. Seems like he was not so motivated to help aunty in the shop...its boring there...so he should get a taste of real work... :mrgreen:
After one hours the blisters broke...he struggled...but wanted to finish the job. The 20m took him a long day with some help but I doubt I will see him again soon :lol:
DSCN0899.JPG

Some words to living now in the guest house on site...
DSCN0927.JPG

Compared to the small hot room in Mums house it is like a paradise. Even now during the hot times we were ok with just a fan. AC would sure be fine but then it was not really that you had to have it. So I made a decision and will only go for a mobile AC unit for the future. I saw some at Home Pro but as we do not have one around it will come next time. Yes...everybody keeps saying the permanent are better and the warranty and and and...but at the end of the day the mobile one can be moved. So if nobody is in the guest house I might just use it somehwere in the main house...and so on. It is nothing worse than a device what is not in use. The day you need it, it strikes...

Works are still being done while we are already back in Hong Kong. Roof overhangs, support structure for ceiling inside main house, start with sand stone tiles on the columns,...
Let's see if I can get updated photos before our next trip.
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Okay already, you've had time enough to relax and rethink things. There must be some progress to report.
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi Fred,
It has been a while since my last update, no I had no time to relax, but yes there has been some work done. Funny as it sounds, they are not able over there to make and send some photos... :(
July 2014 I started a new job and that hindered me to travel home to LOS for any news.

Our Thai workers meanwhile tiled most of the house in checkered pattern. I found nice granito tiles in black and white and only hope that the workers did all as discussed.
The house actually should be nearly completed but missing windows and doors.
As only I do any water installation they cannot finish 3 rooms and once they are all done then the windows and doors will be placed.

Next issue, we picked some tiles for the exterior, already bought a smaller amount, ordered 80sqm and till today we are waiting for new production to deliver the rest. :cry:
The tiles we wait for actually are great looking, go with the column sand stone tiles and also were in a non slip pattern so that I hope to get them one day. :roll:

From 6th February till 18th we will be in LOS to see the work done and do the water installation so that works can proceed.

I'm very exited to see it myself and to continue building :wink:

Updates will follow as I have photos to post.
Don't worry...2015 we will be the year we will finish the build ...hopefully...yes...or maybe not...who knows...! :mrgreen:
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks for the update and I look forward to the photos of hopefully work well done while you were away.
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Here some latest photos and things we did to slowly come to an end of our long lasting home building story....
20150215_075648.jpg

For start up a view from the front and a little bit news to the overall status. The house was during our 9 months away complete painted, inside as outside. My 2 elephants at the 2 center poles must have helped as the color spots were all over them :( .
The builder also got the contract for the windows and started right up. Initial plan to do the entrance door in wood was cancelled as I just wanted to get the house closed and didn't want to get any new company involved at that stage. It might be changed the day we have a carpenter at site for the interior doors and cabinets.

20150215_075727.jpg

20150215_075830.jpg

20150215_080037.jpg

These photos show the more pleasant things, the checkered tile pattern for the corridor and livings space. I'm happy that I chose the more costly version of 60x60cm stone tiles. It looks awesome. The kitchen corner is complete black and will later get a banging red kitchen and black granite tops. The tile guy did a perfect job with measuring in the tiles.

20150215_075759.jpg

The photo shows the Thai kitchen with alfresco area. Finally we could source a tile what goes with the colors of the house and especially columns, rough so anti-slip...but still easy to keep clean. I hate to close the Thai kitchen part with windows and doors but that is what it needs so that things not disappear during absence. In a perfect world this would have been kept all open.
Same tiles will also be used for the front porch and the terrace.

20150215_075925.jpg

The Thai kitchen...
There I installed the granite tops inclusive the sink. Tiles for the walls are already available but there was just not enough time. I wanted to get the floors done first to be able and install the doors and...yes, be able to lock it.

20150215_080026.jpg

This was part of my main job during last trip...the plumbing of main house. Inside the buildings I used only the flexible aluminum-plastic pipe (Home Mart) what most use only for hot water. This way I could avoid unnecessary connections at places where it would be later hard to repair. The brass connectors with 2 O-rings are all in the wall and no connection on the floor.
With all the plumbing done the floors of the remaining rooms (bath, storage and master bed room) can be finished what then again allows the windows and doors to be installed.

We are soon back in LOS...and if the builder will stay on the job I should have more and better photos in about a month.
Maseratimartin

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 am

Here some more photos...

IMG-20150305-WA0018.jpg

For watering the garden we decided to use some wrong drilled well from last year. It's only 9m deep and a 2" steel pipe.
After confirming it still holds water I started to build the pump house.
IMG-20150305-WA0037.jpg

That would be the end product! Sucks...pumps...good enough for the garden.

IMG-20150305-WA0010.jpg

The water pump for the buildings is now placed in the backside of the Thai kitchen/alfresco building. The initial idea was to put the pump in the basement underneath the alfresco area, but I found that the room is too wet and that would not be good for the pump. Besides it was also easier for my back to install it :wink:

IMG-20150305-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20150305-WA0019.jpg

That was the tile crew, an old couple, but I have to say respect to what they do.

IMG-20150305-WA0025.jpg

This view shows a little bit the layout with which I'm really happy. We didn't really follow any plans and during building I just did what seemed to fit together.
To the left is the main house, the building to the right is the Thai kitchen with alfresco area where we also provide a toilet and separate a shower. In the back is the guest house where we currently stay during the trips and find enough space. Makes someone think for what I wasted so much energy to build a small resort :roll: Yes, still hear the wife complaining: Oh, the house is so small...bla bla. The guest house was in the first planning a garage and my man cave, what then was changed to a guest house to satisfy my wife and avoid the too small comments...
IMG-20150305-WA0036.jpg

Here the view from the opposite side. I'm still thinking what I should put in the middle of the green area. At the beginning it was a pool what is already cancelled as I could easier add an infinity pool directly to the terrace if I ever wanted it. My wife don't like the idea of a big ghost tree, how the Thais call them. Maybe some kind of a water feature...a huge rock with slow drizzling water over it ...could also be a solution but like most things it will happen one day. Maybe it is just the question if I find the right tree or rock first :D
Maseratimartin

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed May 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Ok, April went by and some works have been done.

Biggest task was to get the surroundings cleaned up before Thai new year.
Second was to find a tree to be placed where once a pool was planned. Between the single buildings was just not enough shadow and it looked empty.
Directly after the tree grass should be laid out to get things going and lifting the appearance of our build.
Here some photo shots of how it turned out...
11169108_637648953036595_1864513582_n.jpg

11180167_637843756350448_669803421_n.jpg

11122439_638463282955162_1957606857_n.jpg

11198674_638463596288464_1857003563_n.jpg

After many years now we finally also bought a pick up and so the entrance area had to finally get a concrete slab and the carport some nice tiles...what we not do for our rides :wink: :
11117936_639153679552789_1598173744_n.jpg

...ordered too much of the black tiles and so why not get a little bit contrast to the yellow tiles in front of the guest house. You might not come barefooted if visiting us :lol:
11173421_640435952757895_1322985433_n.jpg

By the way, the gap in the concrete is intentionally to allow water to drain rather than flooding smaller green areas. Later some nice pebble stones will finish it up.

Our tile guy also came and started works in the Thai kitchen.
11195538_640436299424527_9224177_n.jpg

Nothing too fancy, the complete room will be tiles up to the ceiling. We found the 3 image tiles at home-pro and a green mosaic stripe should be enough.
My wife is happy that she get her kitchen done ...and daddy about the good things coming out there in the future :mrgreen:
The works are still ongoing and I will post photos once done.

While I'm in Hong Kong my wife is kicking the bud of our builder that he finally finishes the windows and doors and some of the complaints I have on his works.
The next days a team should come and cover all concrete what has not been tiled with sand-wash.

15th May is D-day! We want the house done, the garden looking nice...before we move to Pattaya :?
My wife finally sees now what I had all the time in my mind how our house should look like...the harmony of the white color with the green windows and the green plants around (Fred's build inspired me there). She does not want to leave...but the little monkey (our daughter) needs a proper school and I need something closer to the airport and Bangkok....so there we go!
There will not be a building story in Pattaya...this is Fred's job. I might report on how to assemble some furniture, but that must be enough...
Maseratimartin

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story