90sqm Bungalow quoted build price 1.29m

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

90sqm Bungalow quoted build price 1.29m

Postby arranp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Hello,

Attached are quote and architect plan for a 3 bed bungalow to be built in Nakhon Sawan, the price we've been givne is 1.29 million baht.

The hatched area is an outside terrace, the roof covers the house and the terrace, the land is to be raised by .5 metre and covere in concrete, the internal area of the bungalow is 90sqm.

We're about to give the go-ahead, but I'm not sure on price and think maybe its maybe inflated a little ?

My wife and I live in the UK, her sister will use the house, and we will use it when we come to stay.

Regards
Arran.
Attachments
overviewplan.JPG
quote.doc
(46.5 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
arranp

Re: 90sqm Bungalow quoted build price 1.29m

Postby kknaj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:34 am

Hi Arran,

Welcome to the forum :)

Its hard to say at this point since I cant tell how high off the ground the floors will be (crawl space underneath?)

Also what kind of roof tile and wall material are you using?

Interior finish?

Any other pictures (side view) or interior sample?

If the builder is very good and gives a high quality finish and all materials are top quality then 1.29 mil baht could be a reasonable price.

Have you or someone else seen his past work?

You may want to read some of my story to get an idea about costs as they are similar size and price range. If you are not going to be there during the build and the builder buys all materials then you will pay a bit more than i did.

Good luck on your build.
kknaj

Postby pattayapope » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 am

Arran

As kknaj says without more detsils it is hard to judge but by my reconing your covered area is about 182.6 m2, so if we use the 50% formulae for covered area outside the built area we have a total area of ({182.6 - 90} * 50%) which equals 136.3 m2. This works out at 9,500 Baht m2 so for that you should be getting a cpac roof and either red brick or qcon block walls and not cinder blocks.

One thing on design with only one toilet it might be difficult with several people in the house at the same time, with a little bit of work you could add at least one more toilet in the design. The kitchen area should also have at least tiled concrete counter tops with fitted PVC doors below and remember everything the builder will use will be of the cheapest quality especially doors and toilet system unless you specify up front what you expect.

Building a house remotely is going to be difficult as it sounds like you will be doing, in general I don't like the modern Thai designed houses as they have fancy roofs that always seem to leak and poor internal layouts.

Best of luck with your build
pattayapope

Postby changnoi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Assuming that you already have the land, but depending on the quality of finish provided. I would say you are a good 0.5M overpriced. My house is 288sqm over 2 floors and cost approx 7,200/sqm. However there are much more qualified people on this forum that could advise you on this.

Onwards
changnoi

Postby sezze » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 pm

You are asking a price review . Now i see a 1.29 m quote for 90 sqm , with no further explanation how he/she comes on the price of 1.29m . 1.29m for 90 sqm is well over 14k per sqm :!: . This might be ok in some cases , depending on materials used or special techniques . This is however not visible on the quote , so that is a very difficult one . I personally , and i guess with me a lot of persons here , would find this price per sqm way too much . If you asked for a pricequote with a lot of expensive items ( imported granite / large jacuzzi etc etc ) then it might be ok . Most people here , from my own experience and reading on the site, are from far below the 10000 bath mark , till just above it . IMHO opinion , if not specified for something special and from what i looked at the plan ( no special construction , basic 1 level ) , it should be around a 500k lower , coming in at 700k to 900k max .
sezze

Postby arranp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks to you both for your replies.

We've had prices from two different builders, both builders are know members of my wifes family, the 2nd builder is aware of the quoted by the 1st builder

The house is to be built on stilts about .5 metre off ground level, the price includes the perimeter walls being built and talking down of the orginal house, which is a 6m x 6m wooded house with a corrugated iron roof.

The 2nd builder quoted 1.29m baht for a low specification, including corrugated roofing, T-Bar cieling, aluminium window frames. The house is to be built on stiilts.

The 1st builder quoted 1.5m baht.

Regards
Arran.
arranp

Postby arranp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:22 pm

We've had prices from two different builders, both builders know members of my wifes family, the 2nd builder is aware of the prices quoted by the 1st builder

The house is to be built on stilts about .5 metre off ground level, the price includes the perimeter walls being built/made good and taking down of the orginal house, which is a 6m x 6m wooded house with a corrugated iron roof.

The 2nd builder quoted 1.29m baht for a low specification, including corrugated roofing, T-Bar cieling, aluminium window frames. The 1st builder quoted 1.5m baht.

It seems apparent that prices from these two builders are overpriced. I suppose I keep asking different contractors until I get a quote for around 800-900k that includes a reasonable specification....How does one find builders/contractors ?

Regards
Arran.
arranp

Postby kknaj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Arran,

When you say corrugated roofing do you mean the cheap metal roof?

If thats the case then they are both ripping you off and building low quality.

Anything less than CPAC roof tiles as seen on this site is just cheapo.

How much building experience do they have? have you seen their work?

What is a T-bar ceiling? Do they plan to use gypsym ceilings or plaster squares?

Have a read through some of the stories online to help you learn the quality ways to build and help you choose what you want. I woldnt go ahead until then when you have more of an idea what you want.
kknaj

Postby arranp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:30 pm

I've run the quote through the google translater and here is the output:

Quotation material.
One-story residential building.
The list of units of the total price.
All p Blasting Area / 8,500 Baht 129.00 1,096,500 -.
A reinforced concrete structure E.b.am. 30.531.
2 floors of polished concrete floor and 88.25 p Blasting success.
3 floors and tiled corridors p Blasting 40.75.
Four walls of brick and plaster p Blasting flat sides 225.
5 jobs open windows double pane, aluminum frame sets 7.
Tip 6 homework sets a bathroom window.
7 working wooden gate opened and a single color 8.
8 jobs SLIDE door equipped with two sets.
9 ceiling, gypsum board thickness 9 mm within and outside the p Blasting 198.
10 Job roof tiles Elephant seal a double wave.
11 electric light works without a cable MAIN.
12 sanitation Work 1.
13 a painting job.
14 toilet facilities work a job.
15 works fine soil reclamation area 150 200 000 Q -.

Total total

Work
1,296,500 -.
Note.
- Work as a window frame, aluminum Aluminium natural color.
- Use ceiling frame Madeira a T-BAR.
- A set of electric light per room.
- Tap water sanitation are less than 5 points.
- Price does not include the removal the old house and fence. (But will manage to find someone to demolish the old wood for sale.)

Including labor and materials totaling U.S. 1,296,500 (one million two hundred ninety six thousand five hundred baht).

Be so considered.
Inevitably Si.
The bid.
arranp

Postby arranp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 pm

kknaj wrote:Hi Arran,

When you say corrugated roofing do you mean the cheap metal roof?

If thats the case then they are both ripping you off and building low quality.

Anything less than CPAC roof tiles as seen on this site is just cheapo.

How much building experience do they have? have you seen their work?

What is a T-bar ceiling? Do they plan to use gypsym ceilings or plaster squares?

Have a read through some of the stories online to help you learn the quality ways to build and help you choose what you want. I woldnt go ahead until then when you have more of an idea what you want.

They plan to use gypsum board thickness 9 mm.

and oof tiles Elephant seal a double wave for the roof.
arranp

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Based on my experience, I would say the price is slightly inflated, perhaps 20-40%.

My recommendation would be quote for labour only, you buy all the materials, and get someone on site to manage the project, for
example yourself, wife, sister, cousin, etc. Collect all the receipts and track the costs if someone is managing for you. Its much more
work and stress, but depending how much $ you have available and if that is a consideration or not.

For the quoted price, I would expect double walls, aircons, branded toilet and bathroom, insulation, solid wood doors throughout,
high quality paints, high quality tiles, etc. If you go with the builder, make sure you spec out exactly the brand and type of all accessories
such as toilet, taps, water heater, water pump and tanks, aircons, tiles, light fittings, etc. If you dont specify the exact light fitting, the building
will put in an 80 baht down-light, but you may want the 250 one from GH, exactly the same for every other component. You have to specify the type
of rebar, our first builder (fired after 3 days) tried to use a lower spec one and charge us with fake receipts for a higher strength one.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby sezze » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Do you want to do something or nothing ? I mean , tell them you give them all the building materials and they do the work for a fixed price . I'm sure if you drive around for a couple of hours ,you find all the standard building materials in the neighbourhood . The fixed price for labour is let's say 200k . They figure out how many people they need and they pay them . This is quite a standard practice but requires some work from your side . To find other people for quotes , again drive around and ask around . It might be worth to have a BOQ made by a architect . By this you loose a small amount of money in the 1st place but you get a full set of costs on each item . They also give you the work needed and the total nr is the nr they have to build it for . Architects know people for sure . Or , other oprion . When driving around you will see somewhere where they build a house . Stop and ask .
now , since they are family members , it might get a bit of pain . What does the wife/GF say about the prices ? Hiring family members CAN be a big problem , especially if they want to rip you of . You will have to be very tactical in your approuch :wink: .
Again rough estimates .
low standard , less then 5000 per sqm . medium standard somewhere around 7500 baht per sqm and higher standard 10000 or more per sqm . All depending on materials or techniques used .
Also . The wood of the old shack , is it just breakdown material or is it quality wood with age . Quality wood with age is a certain value . Everything in Thailand is used and reused . even old corrugated sheets , rusted or not are sold again . If the wood is good wood , i would consider reusing it for on the house . This will reduce your price . Price of good wood is high , so a 6x6m shack will have a very high price ( resale value ) .
sezze

Postby arranp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:22 pm

yes the floor of the shack is made from very good wood indeed. solid polished strips say 30-40 cm wide and 3-4 metres long.

me and the wife live in the UK, I think we are reliant on it being built for us....
arranp

Postby pattayapope » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 am

Arran

The old house can probably be sold to someone for the wood and should not cost anything and somebody will probably get some money for it, I know my wifes mother sold her house for 50,000 baht, they use the old wood to make Thai styles houses if it is the right type.

On the build it was not clear if you said both builders are part of the family or are known by the family either way I think the price is OTT, if you have money to burn and want to make the wife happy go for it but have another 2 - 300,000 baht for the inevitable extras.

I felt sorry for my wifes mother and sister so I bought them a house in a small moo ban and it cost me about 650,000 baht about 10 years ago since then they have not done one bit of maintainance and the place is a mess <slight edit for language - fredlk>, last thing I buy them.
pattayapope

Postby dozer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 am

There were two identical topics started in two different forums, therefore I merged the two threads. Please try to post any one topic in only one thread....
dozer
Site Admin

Next

Return to Your Building Story