Mae Taeng Build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Mae Taeng Build

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:59 pm

As some of you know I am planning to built in Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai. This should have happened this year but alas things change. There was a deposit put on the land we are interested in so we are in a wait mode. We are now making plans for a build next year. I'm in the design stage at this time. Thanks to all who have posted before as I have taken many of your ideas and suggestions for this.

As most of you, I don’t care for window grates but understand the value. Although Pklongball has come up with a nice design for his.

Wondering if anyone has experience with Majestec security doors and windows? (http://www.majestec.com/default.aspx) They are using a high tensile wire stainless steel mesh. Seems to me a nicer solution to grates. Will go to the showroom after things get back to normal around BKK. Was thinking if you could save the price of grates the extra cost could be justified.

One other thing is roofing material. Planing on going with light coloured Colorbond in a Bali style but with some concrete flat roofing incorporated and extending out far enough to keep the sun off the walls and act as a rain gutter.

Here is a screen shot of the roof style although another raised roof in my office has been added.
Attachments
House-.jpeg
House-.jpeg (14.18 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Re: Mae Taeng Build

Postby fredlk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi BKKBILL,
Can you explain the flat roof part? I see it under the pitched roof, but I don't quite understand your reasoning for it.
How will you waterproof it or will you cover this too in the Colorbond?
Fred.
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi fredlk,

I didn’t want gutters nor rain water dropping to the ground and splashing on the walls so thought I would try some thing like this. I have see a similar method used. On my last addition here we poured a concrete roof and have not had any problems. Just make sure you have insulation above the ceiling. This one is really a poured concrete roof with cutouts in the bedrooms and front room for ceilings that will be sloped up about thirty degrees with fans at the apex. My thinking is the space between ceiling and Colorbond roof will be vented through a small roof at the top. Hope these screen shots explain it better than me. Guess the flat roof part is more about the style than anything.
Attachments
House-roof.jpg
House-roof.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
roof-2.jpg
roof3.jpg
roof3.jpg (50.34 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:04 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Guess the flat roof part is more about the style than anything.

Thanks for the explanation. The above sentence is the answer to my question. :)
fredlk

Postby brent roberts » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:13 am

Dear Bill we also want to start our building later this year in the Mae Taeng area but have to wait to sell up here first. I also like the idea of the majestec security doors and windows but I dont think it would be cheap. Your house plans look nice but if I was building a flat roof like yours I would put in overflows which would be lower than your other roof and this would stop any water coming into your ceiling if your downpipes can not handle the water or get blocked. all the best brent.
brent roberts

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:37 am

brent roberts wrote:Dear Bill we also want to start our building later this year in the Mae Taeng area but have to wait to sell up here first. I also like the idea of the majestec security doors and windows but I dont think it would be cheap. Your house plans look nice but if I was building a flat roof like yours I would put in overflows which would be lower than your other roof and this would stop any water coming into your ceiling if your downpipes can not handle the water or get blocked. all the best brent.

Thanks Brent, Here is a picture with a bit of the roof removed showing the ceiling below the colour-bond roof. Curbs here are 10CM higher than the outside ones so rain water would run over the outside wall before getting inside. There are also four 10CM drain pipe to handle the rain.
I think you are right about the majestec windows. After things cool down in BKK I will go and check them out. Hopefully, the higher price could balance out if the price of security grates were added to regular window prices. See they have a place in Chiang Mai.
Where in Mae Taeng are you planing to build and what size is your land?
Attachments
Roof-picture1.jpg
BKKBILL

Postby brent roberts » Sat May 01, 2010 3:38 am

hey bill, can now see how your roof will work good thinking to have all the outside wall lower than your roof this acting as the overflow. Your right about majestic they have a plant just south of the city. I would like to see a finished door and window no point in having good glass if you can force the door or window open. Our land is about 6 or 7 ks from downtown mae taeng just off the road to pai we have almost 3 rai. We are also about 15 minutes drive from thaifly in mae rim. bye from a cold n.z
brent roberts

Postby robertkc » Mon May 17, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi Bill - I don`t have the "forum cred" to use the pm system apparently :? so unfortunately couldn`t read your message...interesting design you have going, looking forward to seeing pictures of your land;its a lovely area.
robertkc

Postby fredlk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:55 am

3 months on and I know there is not much progress with acquiring the land, but are there any new or revised building plans?
Or maybe you have lost the incentive for the moment .... I know that feeling; I remember it well.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 am

BBKBILL,
Have you tried incorporating down pipes in your pillars. I have them in my veranda on the second floor and they work extremely well. They take the water off the veranda, straight to the main drain, but you must be careful about blockages.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:50 pm

fredlk wrote:3 months on

OK fredlk here is a start. :D

The plans have changed a bit. Have made my office bigger and a few other minor changes inside and out. Thank you for the suggestion about the bathroom door, another change made. I’m happy with the revisions although my wife has some corrections :( she would like to see. Will post a plan for perusal soon.

A few thing have happened on the never ending land purchase.

We have been looking for land in Chiang Mai province for a number of years now. Finally deciding on the Mae Taeng area about 45 minutes north of Chiang Mai city.

Mae Taeng should be far enough from the city to make it tolerable in the burning season being at a higher elevation yet an easy drive to the city for shopping at the big box stores for bulk items bimonthly.

We did find a number of plots that were worth looking into but alas something always came up to change our minds.

The most common was no Chanot-thi-din. It is the true land title deed that guaranties freehold and other rights (e.g. leasehold, mortgage, usufruct), and is issued by an office of the Land Department.

I think this is what a farang should be aiming for.

In rural areas there is often found land with น. ส. ๓ ก. (N. S. 3 K.) and น. ส. ๓ (N. S. 3) land documents (in English phonetic transcription: 'Nor Sor Sahm Kor' and 'Nor Sor Sahm'). These are lower ranking but they can be used in almost the same way as the chanot document. Anything lower than these you should pass up. IMHO.

After all this time we have found 8 rai in a small valley with Chanot-thi-din, hard top road, good power lines and three year round mountain fed streams. :) :)

We tried to make an offer an this property a year and a half ago but to no avail. :( :(

Will tell you all about it in my next post on this thread. :lol: :lol:

RR my pillars will be 20cmx20cm so no room for a 15cm pipe.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Here is the current plan view with the roofs removed garage to the left. I think if you click on the attachment it will be easier to see.

Most rooms are 4Mx4M this is done on Google SketchUp. A free program that I quite like.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-27 at 6.39.44 PM.png
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Here is the current plan view with the roofs removed garage to the left.

Nice ... from what I can see without the windows and doors etc.
What I do find strange is that your garage seems larger than the house (almost).
And why do most people build their garages separate from their houses? I always want it connected. Am I the odd one out?
fredlk

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:20 pm

fredlk wrote:And why do most people build their garages separate from their houses? I always want it connected. Am I the odd one out?

For my design, if the garage is connected to the house, one of 2 things happen (1) you lose a room in the house (2) you lose windows
on a wall in 1 or 2 rooms - that is if you want a big garage. Also, the garage then needs to be built at the same time as the house as they
share a common roof/walls/foundations - once again in my case with limited staff I prefer to finish the house first, and work on the
garage later. And finally, if the garage is away from the house, you can have a much cleaner and nicer facade, without having the thai
style "hole", or the western style roller doors spoiling the front of the house.

Of course the biggest benefit of a connected garage is not getting wet or bit going to the car. Will have to think how to solve that one.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby runker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:06 am

You can always go for a side entry for the cars, that way you avoid seeing the large opening or roller door and can have windows facing the front entry. However, I have seen some very nice garage doors and it is nice driving up to the house during a rain storm and popping open the automatic door and drive inside and never get wet.
runker

Next

Return to Your Building Story