My $25,000 Home in Thailand

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

My $25,000 Home in Thailand

Postby altman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:00 pm

i have delayed posting this here as i have posted my building story elsewhere on the internet and i din't want to appear to be spamming.

but as this is a web site based on an inexpensive building project, albeit several years ago, i felt it would be of interest to others to know that it is still possible to build a very solid and comfortable home in thailand for less than many people pay for an annual mortgage in the states.

so forgive me for repeating information available elsewhere and enjoy my house building story.

################################################################3

there seem to be many people who are able to build multi-million Baht mac-mansions. i can't. but i could build a house in thailand that i couldn't even conceive of doing in the states. so this will be the story of my little hovel.

it is mostly done now. no paint and still some finish work to do downstairs, but we have been living here for several months now and are quite happy with it.

i have a web site that has a page describing our life in a small thai village. i will post it later, but for now i think a rambling narration of what we have done and are doing might be more fun for us all.

i am 60 years old (male) and am on a tourist visa and doing border runs when necessary. i could have gotten a retirement visa but the LA thai consulate denied my application due to a clerical error on my part. and since the plane was waiting on the runway (no, not really), i couldn't re-apply in time so i have just been hanging for a few years. oh well...

i have been in SEA since shortly after the usa invasion of iraq (#2). a couple of years were spent in cambodia and about 2 years of was spent in chiang mai. it was there i met my partner, Nid. she is 32, her b'day was just last week. i feel lucky to have her and now to have our home.

here is an image of the current state of the house.

my partner's father donated the land so the final cost does not include that, but as it stands now the total cost, labor and material, is about $25,000. it is 2 levels, has a 3/4 wrap around porch and when finished will have space underneath for guests or work area. there is no swimming pool or jacuzzi. corn grows in the front yard. and we love it.

i will post pictures of the construction and our story as time goes on.
For the complete story of my life in a small Thai village and the construction of my home here see EuthanasiaClinic.org and click on the Life in a Thai Village link
altman

Re: My $25,000 Home in Thailand

Postby geordie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:30 pm

YES a nice hovel indeed if we all had mansions it would be great but think of the extra cleaning i like the design a nice looking HOME
Welcome to the forum
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jazzman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi altman, and welcome back.

Interesting to see how tastefully $25k can be invested. I like the blend of Thai style with modernity. Congratulations on being another member who is able to prove that we don't need to be baht millionaires to build nice houses in Thailand :D
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:03 am

GIDDAY ALTMAN...ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM...congrats ...its a real cute of a BO DEREK..... whether you are a baht millionaire or not has never bothered the thai fly...i just love seeing C.T.H. MEMBERS being successful on there builds with bucket loads of baht...or on a strict budget...for approx 800.000 baht you and your shelia have done very well to say the least....it wouldbe remiss of me not to ask what part of c/mai are you from?????....its great build of A GIDDAY TO ALL ...its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:29 am

It's amazing to see how far 25 grand can get you in Thailand. Nice house design. Congratulations!

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby cruzing » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:30 am

Cute little house. It will be quite nice when finished. Definitely NOT a hovel.......

cruzing
cruzing

Postby steelyeel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:42 am

G'day Altman ! Yeah nice house. Did you design the house yourself ? If not where did you get the plan from ? It certainly won't be a hovel. Who wants a mansion with all that under utilised space. I'm looking at something similar if my cheese and kisses agrees. Cheers
steelyeel

Postby thaifly » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:12 pm

cruzing wrote: Definitely NOT a hovel.......

gidday to the the very knowlegble cruzing...and all...its the thaifly from mae rim.. HOVEL...what a poor call...GEORDIE..my old COBBER...suggest you look up the real meaning of the word HOVEL... as i have just done..and ?????? ITS A WRONG CALL GIDDAY TO ALL its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:46 pm

altman wrote:
################################################################3

there seem to be many people who are able to build multi-million Baht mac-mansions. i can't. but i could build a house in thailand that i couldn't even conceive of doing in the states. so this will be the story of my little hovel.

For anyone else speed reading who missed the above which prompted my comment please also note that i put emphasis on HOME
My apologies if the comment was misunderstood
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby thaifly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:01 am

EDITED BY THAIFLY ONCE IN TOTAL
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:42 am

gidday geordie ...its the thaifly..from mae rim...speed reading from the thai fly...NO WAY ... my brain just could nt take it.. i missed altmans quote ..sorry about that....its another m/united win GIDDAY...to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby rubik101 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm

I think the word 'hovel' was used tongue in cheek.
I agree, It looks great. A nice mix of modern and Thai traditional.
Building nice house for less tham a million is my ambition. Pity I only have 300,000 right now!!
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby heroew » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:42 am

Love your home,i`m planning to build in Surin region soon but worry i find a poor builder,can you give me any ideas? Your home looks like the ideal one for me...
heroew

Postby rubik101 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:18 am

Hey altman, you did say you would post the construction pics. Or at least give us a hint which on other site we can find them!
I'd like to see the garden and corn fields etc.
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby altman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 am

when i originally tried to post this building story it didn't appear to happen so i gave up. i just got a pm about it and realized that it was up there.

i will now, next day or two, post some more of the story and many images. stay tuned and sorry for the delay.

we continue to work on it. it is now 1/2 painted courtesy of a visitor from australia. we are waiting for him to come back next year so he can paint the other half. we work on thai time here in the village.

anyway more to come asap
For the complete story of my life in a small Thai village and the construction of my home here see EuthanasiaClinic.org and click on the Life in a Thai Village link
altman

Next

Return to Your Building Story