Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Postby apetley » Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi jazzman.
All the waste from the house is routed into the big pond at the bottom of the garden.
Not nearly as bad as it sounds as the pond is getting on for a rai in size, nice and deep and surrounded by nice think grass which is luxuriant to say the least around the outlet.
So far the water has remained nice and clear and the fish in the pond seem to be thriving so it seems that it can handle what we are throwing at it.

As an aside I mentioned your motel to a couple of local builders and they are very impressed that you can build for that price and standard.
apetley

Postby jazzman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Did you remember to install a grease trap between the geywater and the septic?
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Sat May 02, 2009 9:12 am

apetley wrote:Alot of weeds have sprouted up since we completed the house so I guess that some weedkiller will be in order.
Anyone any recommendations for a really good type, something that kills them off for goo
gidday mighty apetly its the thai fly from mae rim....matey what ever weed killer you decide to use ....take a tip....apply TWO TIMES... and the end result...will be much better...from our experience..this process..knocked out 95%..of the weeds..unfortunately not the full monty..but i say that would be near impossible...and make sure your grassman lays fertilizer all over your peice of dirt..before laying your sods of nua noi grass... the shifty ones are well known to skip this...important step..for you know what reason...its a good punting GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby apetley » Tue May 05, 2009 10:43 am

jazzman wrote:Did you remember to install a grease trap between the geywater and the septic?

The greywater is routed separately through the drains by way of a greasetrap.
Had the lid off of it the other day.....yukkkkk! Definitely required!
apetley

Postby apetley » Tue May 05, 2009 10:48 am

thaifly wrote:
apetley wrote:Alot of weeds have sprouted up since we completed the house so I guess that some weedkiller will be in order.
Anyone any recommendations for a really good type, something that kills them off for goo
gidday mighty apetly its the thai fly from mae rim....matey what ever weed killer you decide to use ....take a tip....apply TWO TIMES... and the end result...will be much better...from our experience..this process..knocked out 95%..of the weeds..unfortunately not the full monty..but i say that would be near impossible...and make sure your grassman lays fertilizer all over your peice of dirt..before laying your sods of nua noi grass... the shifty ones are well known to skip this...important step..for you know what reason...its a good punting GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim

Thanks for the tip thaifly.
I will also be making a trip to the local golf course soon to find out what short of fertilizer/weedkiller they use.
Back in the UK there was a product called 'Weed & Feed' which fed the grass and killed off the weeds at the same time but I have not seen it anywhere here.
apetley

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 pm

I have just joined this blog and have spent a very enjoyable few days reading the story of Baan Petley build. Excellent information presented in an instructive and entertaining way. I have a house in Bangkok at the present time but our plan in the not to distant future is to move up to Mai Tang to build a new house and the chronicle of your build has been most helpful. Again thank you as I’m sure you have already saved me many Baht.

William
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby apetley » Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks very much for your kind words William, they are much appreciated.
The very best of luck with your own house build when you get that project going.
I think you will be just up the road from Thaifly so I am sure you will get plenty of advice and encouragement from him too.
apetley

Postby apetley » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:48 am

The latest additions to Baan Petley were installed this last weekend.
Three rolladoors went up around the carport.
Nicky has been getting irritated by the dust and rain blowing in there so a quick quote told us that a solution was not too expensive and also stopped the sun shining on the trusty Triton in the afternoon.
The doors are all 2.7 metres tall, 2.75, 4.1 and 3.5 metres wide. Altogether 27700 bht and took 8 hours to install by a team of three.
It was not straightforward installing the doors on the corner column as that is where the drain from the balcony in sited but with a little Thai ingenuity and a small aesthetic compromise by yours truly a tolerable solution was found.
The drain pipe on the column is just about visible as is the new underground section I had to install recently.
The start of the rains proved that it was not ideal to have the runoff from the balcony just being allowed to flow over the garden. It was creating a large puddle which I don't think our planned for grass would have enjoyed so I extended the downpipe into one of the drains.
So far we have treated the weeds growing in our garden to two doses of gramoxone and roundup with mixed results before we lay the grass. Thai weeds seem even more stubborn than their UK cousins so will be getting another dose or two in the near future.
Attachments
532.jpg
apetley

Postby thaifly » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:49 am

its a gidday to the mighty apletly...its the thaifly from mae rim...the roller shutters that you have installed...blend very nicely..with the house..sure beats those ghastly grey ones..take a tip from thai fly...that the nua noi grass which we had layed a year ago..is coming up better overall then the malay type..that is with some T.L.C.. the malay is the better shade grass..we had the malay layed around our buildings and it has come up trumps the nua noi would have not coped as well...nua noi is the better sun grass thats for sure ..its a VALENTINO ROSSI GIDDAY TO ALL ...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby apetley » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi Thaifly, thanks once again for your kind words.
To be honest I wish that the rollerdoors were not necessary as I like the open look for the carport but so much rain and dust blow in that keeping things like the washing machine, Mio and pickup clean is a pain. So Nicky got her way and up they went.
Yes the brown colour is a better match, better than industrial grey anyway.
I have already had to hook out the beginnings of a birds nest from the one at the front. God(Buddha?) knows why on earth a bird would want to make it's home in the space over the door which is opened and close each day risking getting squished.
I agree that malay seems to be better in the shade judging by the stuff I have seen at a friends house. The nua noi I have already put down seems a little less than green in the one spot that gets very little sun during the day. It seems to do better if it's not cut too short when it's time for a trim.
It's a Valentino sticking it up the inside on the last corner g'day.
apetley

Postby apetley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:02 pm

The last few days I have started putting together a water tank to hold the water we will be using in the garden sprinkler system.
Cheap and cheerful is the watchword so on a concrete base will be perched eight concrete rings in two stacks of four topped off by a couple of lids.
Rings were 110bht each as were the lids, wood for the base form 250bht, metre of sand and stone was about 800 bht delivered, reinforcing mesh was 80 bht, severely strained back.......priceless.
Mixing the best part of a cubic metre of concrete myself by hand and getting it poured, again by myself, quickly so that one mix did not dry out before the next, is one of the most knackering things I have ever done. Almost worth it though to see the look on Nickys face as even she had to admit that it looked quite good.
The first couple of rings are relatively easy to wrestle into place but getting the third and fourth of the stack in place is going to need a little extra muscle from somewhere I think.
The two stacks are linked together with a 2 inch pipe buried in the concrete base so effectively making a nice big eight ring tank but without the skyscraper look if they were all stacked on top of each other.

One of the drawbacks of guttering is becoming apparent in that the local birds seem to love it as a nesting site.
As the showers are getting really heavy now the nests block the gutter and the overflow creates a mini Niagara Falls.
They are easy to get out but the little buggers seem to breed like rabbits as no sooner have I got rid of one than they are back building another.
It's strange as they always build in the gutter over a drainpipe so much of the nesting material goes down the pipe with could be troublesome although I have managed to claw it all out so far.
Nicky has promised to sit down and design a chicken wire gutter cover solution to the nesting problem whilst I finish off the water tank.
Attachments
533.jpg
Concrete base with the connecting pipe for the two sets of rings set into it.
534.jpg
The two tanks to the rear are cemented in place. The front one awaits the fitting of the water outlet water pipe to the base.
apetley

Postby apetley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:08 pm

DP
apetley

Postby apetley » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:10 am

Well the water tank for holding the supply for the sprinkler system is finally complete and I am quite pleased with it even if I say so myself.
Total cost was about 2500 bht which is alot less than the plastic blue tanks and hopefully alot more substantial too.
It has been given a coat of bitumen on the inside to make it fully waterproof, fingers crossed, and a nice coat of Dulux's finest on the outside so it blends in nicely with the waterhouse alongside.
Now all I have to do is plumb in the supply pipe from the pond and pressgang some local labour to help me lift the lids into place.
Attachments
535.jpg
apetley

Postby Sparky » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Looks well smart puka job and saved a few baht to boot .
Sparky

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:24 am

apetley I also think it looks a lot better than the blue plastic ones. Good job.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story