Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:49 am

apetley wrote:Terrible weather, crazy prices, ugly women and too many rules.

Oh, wow. Sounds like you are describing Germany. Did you manage to get hold of some fine Darjeelings?

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby apetley » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:02 pm

LOL
Jazzman and CMX, when my cousin came for a 2 week visit he was under strict instructions to bring over 2 jumbo boxes of PG's finest.
That should keep me going for a few months at least.
apetley

Postby bngldsmth » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:08 pm

I have just finished reading your excellently told and illustrated story (that took a while! :lol: ), I'm sure this will help many, many people who are planning to build in Thailand.
Congratulations on building what is obviously a very beautiful house.

ben :)
bngldsmth

Postby apetley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks very much for the kind words bngldsmth, they are very much appreciated.
It has now been 6 months since we officially moved into our home, how time flies!
The only problem has been a blocked toilet! Swiftly cured with a few bucket of water followed by a hose pipe.
Unfortunately the pool has been put on hold. The reason can be summed up in five little words, 'fifty baht to the pound'.
One day it will happen but can wait until the exchange rate picks up a little, hopefully later this year.
I was lucky to transfer the funds for the house at about 70 bht to the pound and with hindsight it would have been better to send over the money we knew would cover everything. Oh well, it can wait a little longer.
Gardening duties have been the main order of the day.
Basically keeping down the weeds until we get the lawn laid.
Grass man has been amazingly honest and recommended that we did not put the turf down right at the beginning of the dry season so we are now waiting until end of May beginning of June before we finally get our garden looking neat.
We have put in some flowers around a few trees to see what the effect is like and they don't look too bad so maybe the other trees will get a little decoration too in the future.
I have dug my own well!
Purely for watering the garden as it seems such a waste to rely on the municipal supply so recently I decided to get out my spade and see how far down I had to dig before I hit water.
The well is near to 8 feet deep and fills up with about 70 cm of water overnight so gives a pretty good supply even now in the dry season.
Around here the water table is pretty high so the plan is to build a couple of big holding tanks and keep those topped up with water from the well and rooves when it rains for use in the sprinkler system.
Any surplus we will channel back into the pond at the rear of the garden to keep it topped up although that hardly seems necessary as it has stayed almost full since we moved in and it hasn't rained here since the middle of October.
Attachments
526.jpg
When our rice man was in the area doing his stuff we asked him in to turn over some of our soil to get ready for a nice vegetable patch. We will be digging in plenty of a friends cows finest over the next few months.
527.jpg
528.jpg
529.jpg
This is my own handug well. The bottom will be lined with gravel and I will put rings side by side at the bottom to maximise supply.
apetley

Postby thaifly » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:33 am

apetley wrote:It has now been 6 months since we officially moved into our home, how time flies!

Grass man has been amazingly honest and recommended that we did not put the turf down right at the beginning of the dry season so we are now waiting until end of May beginning of June before we finally get our garden looking neat.
I have dug my own well!
Purely for watering the garden as it seems such a waste to rely on the municipal supply so recently I decided to get out my spade and see how far down I had to dig before I hit water.
The well is near to 8 feet deep and fills up with about 70 cm of water overnight so gives a pretty good supply even now in the dry season.
Around here the water table is pretty high so the plan is to build a couple of big holding tanks and keep those topped up with water from the well and rooves when it rains for use in the sprinkler system.
gidday to the mighty apletly...its the thai fly from mae rim.... yes how time flys...nice to see on the board again and very happy that things are going well for you and your shelia...the grass man answer was purely commonsense ....your grass will get off to a flying start.being laid during the rainy season....the same applies to trees ...flowers....etc etc......you are planning to build tanks etc etc...for a irragation system...if the water is so plentiful.. why dont you get a bore done..even by the mafia..it will save you money and time..and headaches...from experience..when you fire up a sprinkler system... mate i can tell you ..you will go through a a hell of a lot of water.. more than you ever thought you would use...just a thought that all...its a great OBAMA GIDDAY TO ALL its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby apetley » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 am

Once again a big thanks Thaifly for your reply.
I just can't bring myself to get a borehole drilled right now, especially knowing that water is so close to the surface and doubly so with them not budging on the 50k price.
My well is just about finished now. All my own work and dead simple just a little time consuming. After filling in around the rings I plan to let the soil compact and then build a concrete step around to make it all nice and neat.
Right now the well is pumped out by a cheap submersible pump but once I have built the two hloding tanks a stronger one will be installed.
Attachments
530.jpg
Ten rings 900 bht, two lids 180 bht and 200 bht for the gravel. Not a bad price for your own well I think.
apetley

Postby thaifly » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:44 am

gidday the might appertly...its the thaiflyfrommae rim...yeah matey......unfortunately you were caught in no mans land with your water set up...with the mafia going to stitch you up big time...50.000 baht for possible 15.000 baht job or there abouts...i admire your principles..in knocking them back..thelatter in what you are doing i hope will fillthe bill for your needs.. and its a first on a building story also....as for the well borers this should serve members a warning that they can indeed be a shifty lot in particular areas of the country...its A MAFIA GIDDAY TO ALL its the thaifly frommae rim
thaifly

Postby camboboy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Crikey,21 footings nearly 2 metres deep.
Sounds like overkill to me,piles are a different story.
I would be surprised if the house deoesnt sink into the paddy.
Let us know how many meters of concrete for the footings.
How many square metres of house all up?
Price doesnt sound too bad.
camboboy

Postby apetley » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi camboboy, thanks for your interest in my housebuild.
I hope that you mean you will be surprised if the house does sink into the paddy!
I have seen very few houses locally built on piles but just recently one has started going up just a little up the main road.
They didn't seem to go that far in and will have to be cut off so I guess that they hit something firm.
Not sure what you mean by 'how many meters of concrete for the footings'?
Each concrete pillar has a reinforced concrete base about a metre square which gives it a nice big footprint.
House itself is about 240 sq metres so worked out at exactly 10k bht per sq metre which for the quality of finish is rather good.
apetley

Postby apetley » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:47 am

I have spent the last couple of weeks putting down a metre wide strip of grass around the house.
We are getting the whole garden done at the start of the rainy season but I was a little worried by what happened during a downpour a few weeks ago.
It was the first real rain since the middle of last October so the ground was absolutely parched.
The storm hit and you could literally see the soil being washed away from the step around the house.
This was despite the guttering we have, the rain was being blown in just about sideways and was monsoonal!
So I spent a while digging up some of the soil we had pushed to the back of the garden.
Remember the episode we had with the delivery of some 'not so' topsoil. Grassman said that some of it is ok to use under the grass so long as it's broken up ok.
So poor old me wheel barrowed it back up the garden to the house, broke it up, levelled it off and gave it a nice grass rug on top.
Doesn't look bad and will keep the soil from being washed away in the future.
Price was 20 bht a sq metre. The Thais call it 'Japanese Grass' but I know it isn't, just similar but I can't think of the proper name right now.
Roll on the rainy season so we can get the rest of the lawn laid, get the sprinklers installed and then I wont have to stand around with a hose all evening.
Still, it gives me time to get some thinking done I guess.
Attachments
531.jpg
apetley

Postby thaifly » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:33 am

apetley wrote: The Thais call it 'Japanese Grass' but I know it isn't, just similar but I can't think of the proper name right now.

gidday to the mighty apetley...its the thai fly from mae rim...if my somewhat red eye balls are not deceiving me after a big nite out on the piss...your grass is indeed NUA NOY...which is agreed in most cases...the most suitable grass for your peice of dirt...ITS A RED WINE OF A NITE...GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby dozer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:51 pm

All of the recent off topic posts have been removed. Remember, if you want to discuss something other than Apetley's build, open a new topic in the appropriate forum. Also no flaming......
dozer
Site Admin

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri May 01, 2009 12:17 pm

It will stop the "erosion" problem but now you have to maintain a strip of lawn around the house. :D A load of gravel or sand would have solved the rain problem as well. The advantage of sand is that you can mix it with the top soil later if you plant carpet grass (malay grass). I didn't know that before, but malay grass seems to love sandy soil. Around our house it grows most profusely in the spot where the workers dumped the sand. Anyway, the rainy season is coming soon...

Cheers, CMX

P.S.: I assume the black thing in the background is an abstract sculpture resembling a septic tank? Lovely.
chiangmaiexpat

Postby apetley » Fri May 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi CMX, yes I get alot of thinking done as I am leading the hose around the house watering my strip of lawn.
Oh well, it has rained a couple of times these last few days so I have been able to get on with more useful things and the grass has stopped the soil washing away down to the pond.
Sometime this month, May, we hope that Grassman will come out and start putting the lawn down for us.
He'll be out sometime soon to have another look and tell us what we should be doing by way of preparation.
Alot of weeds have sprouted up since we completed the house so I guess that some weedkiller will be in order.
Anyone any recommendations for a really good type, something that kills them off for good?

As for the septic, that is to remind me of the errors of my ways!
The local recycling lady said that it's not worth her picking it up yet as the price of plastic is at an all time low.
Nicky suggested cutting it in half, horizontally, and sinking it in the garden to create a small bog garden.
Not a bad idea but I suspect she's just trying to attract a few more frogs, something she finds quite tasty!
apetley

Postby jazzman » Fri May 01, 2009 4:52 pm

On the subject of septic tanks - where do you lead your overflow to?
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story