floods in Surat Thani / Koh Samui evacuation

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

floods in Surat Thani / Koh Samui evacuation

Postby fredlk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Flooding tearing down Surat Thani
Published: 29/03/2011 at 12:24 PM
Online news:

Flood waters in Surat Thani are above three metres, as more than 3,000 households have been completely cut off, reports said on Tuesday.

Relentless rainfall has caused severe flooding, landslides and forest run-off from Kaeng Krung National Park in the southern province.

Reports said rescue teams were struggling to evacuate over 3,000 stranded families in flood-ravaged areas.

Forest run-offs and fallen trees had disconnected major bridges.

Chamnan Mai-in, a village headman in the province, was reported swept away by the surging waters and remained missing.

Samui evacuation begins
Published: 29/03/2011 at 12:29 PM
Online news: Local News

Authorities in Koh Samui have started evacuating people to temples in higher grounds as heavy rains caused flash floods that destroyed roads and hampered communications.

Ramnet Chaikwang, mayor of the island, said on Tuesday soldiers have asked to deploy military boats to rescue people especially in densely populated areas of Chaweng, Lamai and Maenam. He said floods have risen up to the level of waist of an adult person making it difficult to reach and move people out of affected areas. There were power black outs in many parts of Samui

"This flood is the worst we have ever experienced this decade,'' Ramnet said, adding that flash floods came rushing down from Samui's mountains as rain kept pouring for nearly two days now. "The most important thing for us now is to evacuate people into safety.

He advised tourists to stay in their hotels until flights resume in the island.

Last night, people were seen frantically placing sandbags in hopes of preventing flood waters from entering their houses and businesses. Nonstop heavy rains and howling winds battered the island overnight.

The mayor estimates that damage to Samui's economy could run as high as 100 million baht a day. March and April are Samui's peak season and flight cancellations due to this storm meant lost opportunities for the island which relies solely on tourism.

Thousands of tourists were stranded as ferry services and flights to and from Samui were cancelled since yesterday.
fredlk

Re: floods in Surat Thani / Koh Samui evacuation

Postby payebacs » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:44 pm

fredlk wrote:Thousands of tourists were stranded

I received first hand accounts of this when I went to Samui in November. One really does need to keep some spare cash in that place because even while I was there the power went down for much of one day, ATM's the lot. To learn that some people had no access to their money for 3-4 days during march is quite scary. The locals were okay because they could run up tabs but tourists destined to perhaps leave at any instant, well, I think I would have been kicking myself for not drawing more funds and keeping them in my room safe something which I'd previously thought most unwise! Apparently there is so much building going on on Samui that aside from flooding woes, the grid isn't really sufficient especially when everybody in those new builds arrive in the summer and turn their air cons on at once!
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Return to disasters