Rendering a concrete pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Rendering a concrete pool

Postby sateef » Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 am

i'm building an in-ground concrete pool and will render it.

in the past i have simply rendered the concrete floor and walls and put tiles on top, but this time i plan to finish with sand wash (fine black and white sand) embedded in the surface of the render, ie. no tile.

clearly, it is very important the render not crack, ever. i was wondering about using a layer or fine mesh steel wire inside the render to give it extra strength and resistance to cracking. the wire i'm thinking of using is made for fencing and should be rust resistant.

what do you think about reinforcing the render with wire mesh? good idea or not?

thanks, steve
sateef

Re: Rendering a concrete pool

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat May 07, 2011 9:45 am

Mesh to prevent cracking can never be wrong, but...

...if your pool structure has issues (not strong enough) then nothing will help!
Maseratimartin

Postby sateef » Mon May 09, 2011 1:49 pm

thanks

the pool structure will be 25-30cm thick concrete reinforced with 2 layers of 12mm rebar so i hope that will last forever

in the USA and i assume other countries, when applying stucco, that's always reinforced with chicken wire i think, so i will do the same here then. it doesn't add much cost and it seems like a good safety measure against cracking problems
sateef

Postby jazzman » Wed May 11, 2011 10:57 pm

The rendering should be done very carefully to prevent it drying out in the tropical heat before the water has become part of the curing process. A 'hard' mix of portland with both plasticiser and waterproofing agents are essential.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool