Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Postby falangsabai » Thu May 10, 2012 11:09 am

We have an approach road to our house that is 22 meters long by 3m wide: 66 m2. I am thinking of surfacing it with the crushed red rock that I see on a lot of unpaved country lanes. I would appreciate any comments about this material. How thick is it applied? How long does it last? Is it good to combine with a layer of small gravel, which I have seen also? What is the approximate cost and how much would I need?. This drive will only serve one small car so there is not a lot of traffic. It is a raised road bed so excessive water has a place to go. Any information would be appreciated.

Postby pattayapope » Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm

You would need to make sure rain can run off quickly other wise it will end up like a swamp and your car wheels will sink. I have a drive around my house and I put a french drain in the middle to get the water off into the drain system. I used very small crushed granite chips and underneath I used the sun shade screen (comes in long rolls about 2 meter wide) to act as a geotextile. The ground was well compacted and I put a layer about 2 to 3 inches deep and it has compacted itself over time. I have a retaining wall made from small red bricks on each side to keep the granite chips from spreading out. So far I am very happy with the result and no problems with any standing water, much better looking than concrete and a lot cheaper.

I paid about 3500 baht a 10 wheel truck and used 3 trucks, the sun shade was about 2000 baht a roll and I used two rolls. The bricks were about 6000 baht and cement and labour about 5000 baht. I also used a JCB for part of the work and reckon it was used for about 3 hours on this job and the JCB cost 5500 baht a day. I don't off hand know the M2 area but it is well over 100 M2

Return to material prices & building costs