Water heating

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Water heating

Postby cooked » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Right, I am poverty stricken but do manage to build and maintain a little every month.
I have seen all sorts of complicated stuff on Youtube and elsewhere explaining how to get warm water into the house. What is wrong with getting a coil of black, high quality hose up on the roof to contain about 50 litres, connected directly to the water supply? No need for any expansion nonsense, just turn on the tap and get a bath of hot water. I must be missing something.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Re: Water heating

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Yep, the coil does not work all that well
At best you get a few degrees extra.
Better results involve an encased coil with glass and things where you get into the 'complicated part' again

If it's for the sun, free, eco buzz-words, then go with a solar heater with storage tank
schuimpge

Postby cooked » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 pm

I know that I am being naive here. The hosepipe that I use in the garden has water so hot that I have to let the water out before I water the plants. I can't hold my fingers to it after about 10 am. I should have thought that water that is in a coil on the roof would have the same result. I am just wondering about the expansion factor.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Have to agree with Schuimpge if you use a pressure solar heater with storage tank it become install and forget. Have had mine for four years now no pumps, coils of hose and all that. Mine you we are on town water so that gets ride of the pump.

Now my next upgrade will be a filter system for that town water making the thread about the Master filter series most interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4683&start=255
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:39 pm

BKKBILL, yep, fully agree. Once installed it's just plain sailing. Very good hot water supply and it doesn't matter how the weather is outside or what time of the day.
have it for about a year now..
schuimpge

Return to water and plumbing