Improving the quality of bore water with iron contamination

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Improving the quality of bore water with iron contaminat

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:33 pm

As I said, I don't think I had much choice. All the well water around is very salty,without all those other problems of Iron etc; so I ruled that out. At least rain water starts out the cleanest of the lot ,especially as I have no intention of having any big trees hanging over the house dropping leaves onto the roof. That's the big problem I have here in OZ with all the Gum trees around on my property and neighbours. That tank feeds just the laundry and W.C. below through a filter. All tanks need cleaning periodically from what I have experienced, even above ground and the top of mine in Thailand is 30c.m. above ground level. With all the filtration systems around ,surely it won't be too hard to end up with water that is suitable for washing and showering . I mean they have filters that turn sewage water into drinking water, ? I saw a Minister drinking it in a demo. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway, the expense is not going to be the drawback, so we will see how I go
Mike Judd

Postby Klondyke » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:08 am

I really recommend for the fresh bore water (highly contaminated by iron or clay) to be filled in a settling tank. When the water in the full tank will be left to be settled without any disturbance of new addition, just to add a handfull of chlorin (for a faster oxydation) and some 1 - 2 kg of SaanSom (alum - for miraculoeus flocking, speeding up the settling), you will get fully clear water within 2 - 3 days:

This is the clear water after 3 days left to settle, a sample taken before inlet in my first sand filter:
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:35 am

The settlement tank I have is 3 x 1.5 xH0.8 m, made quite easy by cement blocks with reinforced by rebar 3mm laid under the block layers. The volume is enough for supply a house water demand, watering 2 gardens, aditions to swimming pool, fish pond additions, 3 dogs washing, 2 cars washing.

Perhaps a plastic tank could be also used for this settling purpose, it has to be thought on an occasional cleaning, a large opening on top and a large drain outlet and valve (2 - 3 ") at the bottom.

Such a clean water - gotten in intervals 2 -3 days can be led into another storage water tank, ca. 2,000 l, in TW or GH for ca. 5 - 6,000 Baht.

After the storage tank a pressure sand filter should be placed (that can be backwashed), the water pushed thru by an automatic pressure pump Mitsubishi or similar, 4 - 5,000 Baht. Such a plastic vessel filter with 6-way valve (for swimming pool) can be bought in GH for 7,500 Baht. Sand some 150 kg not included, you can get at villages, river sand properly washed, dia. ca. 1mm.

The rain water should be collected in separate tanks, after settling repumped into the central storage tank as an addition to the bore water.

With this system you will not suffer under the iron problem. Any filtering of the fresh bore water without letting first the iron to settle will bring problems of blocking the filter(s) with a dirty rust.
Klondyke

Previous

Return to water and plumbing