New rules March 1 2019 retirement extension

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

New rules March 1 2019 retirement extension

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:17 pm

Money in the bank must be at least 800k for 5 months (2 before application and 3 months after it is granted)
The rest of the year the bank deposit must not fall under 400k

The above is purely the money in the bank option, the combination method is still available with similar rules though it is much less easy to understand the meaning of the rules that apply to that method

IMG_6580.JPG

IMG_6581.JPG

No news yet if there will be changes governing marriage extensions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimewoodworker

Re: New rules March 1 2019 retirement extension

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:25 pm

Opinion

The changes to the retirement extension are very substantial. Given those changes I would not be surprised if there are also changes to the marriage/support of child rules.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:42 pm

I'm impressed, I only need to have an income of 20,000 baht a month now.
I just hope the police have sent the letter to the banks and informed them of the changes, along with having them published in the Royal Gazette.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:02 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:I'm impressed, I only need to have an income of 20,000 baht a month now.
I just hope the police have sent the letter to the banks and informed them of the changes, along with having them published in the Royal Gazette.

I don't know where you saw that unless you are using the retirement extension and a combination method, if so there is no change to the way that is calculated that I can see, so if you could in the past you can now.

Nothing I can see makes any changes to a marriage extension (yet), the combination method has never applied to that extension, the income requirement remains 40,000 Baht a month.

I don't know if there is a need for the change to be published in the Royal Gazette. my guess is that it does not qualify for that requirement, as if it does then it could not be issued on January 18th to take effect on the 1st of March due to the 6 month rule. You probably know more about that than most here.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:15 pm

I am not on a marriage visa, I am on a retirement visa and have been since 1994. I did need to prove I had an income of 40,000 - 80,000 baht a month going into any bank in Australia (now Thailand) and done by Statutory Declaration, depending on how obnoxious the Immigration officer was.
The Immigration Police have always been harder on me because of that and make me prove everything, sometimes twice over, but as I have the documents (which they can't understand anyway), it's sometimes a problem of them trying to exert more authority than they actually have, which is why I have an English (certified) copy of the Aliens living in Thailand law.
They always ask where my wife is and why she is not with me. I could tell them, none of their business, but as my wife is at work I just ring her and make sure she lets them know exactly what she does and that she is busy and they are intruding on her work time for no reason as I am applying for a Retirement Visa, not Marriage Visa, even though we own two houses.
They like to stay in their comfort zone, I like to take them out of it because of Asean.
I know something changed last visit after I spoke with the General's Aide and my passport was personally delivered to me by a civilian from a back room, so I take it they have my passport scanned with something that makes things easier for me, as when I did the 90 day report they didn't go through all the motions, just stamped my report card, handed it back with no checks done by little Captains.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I am not on a marriage visa, I am on a retirement visa and have been since 1994.

If it has been uninterrupted since then you should never have had to show either 40,000 or 80,000 the wording is slightly ambiguous but it should probably have been 50,000 per month until you reached 60 thereafter 20,000 per month.
You should have been grandfathered in under those rules which haven't changed.

So yes assuming uninterrupted extensions of stay since 1994, 20,000 per month or 200,000 bank deposit looks to be correct and none of the new changes apply to you.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 am

This is from khaosodenglish.com/news/

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019 ... xMm7WSRSIA
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:22 pm

BKKBILL wrote:This is from khaosodenglish.com/news/

I can understand why some Immigration Officers would spit the dummy over the "new" rules, it stops them playing games with Farang.
In turn I can understand why some Farang would scream and buck at the new rules. Take the Pattaya Farang who is running a bar (illegally) and is under 50, he's stuffed. Then there is the Farang who has "borrowed" the 800,000 from the Chinese, Thai, Russian Mafia on the weekly basis that he pays back 840,000 ? at the end of the week which will no longer work and add to that the Immigration Officers involved in the rort who lose their cut from the take.
Me, I don't care, I have a pension (in writing) going into a Thai bank each 28 days that is well over the required minimum, in my case 20,000.
I think the new rules just stop the loopholes that have been rorted for years.
Roger Ramjet

Return to general